Need help with DVD on Samsung DLP

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatorman

Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
I have a Samsung HLN507W 50" DLP and I have been having some issues playing a progressive scan Yamaha DVD player properly. I set the DVD player to 16:9 and for some reason I cannot get a full picture using component cables from component 1 from the DVD player to Component 1 on the TV. Can someone give me a suggestion as to how I should proceed. I am sure that I am missing something but I have run out of options.

Thanks,
Mark

gatorman said:
I have a Samsung HLN507W 50" DLP and I have been having some issues playing a progressive scan Yamaha DVD player properly. I set the DVD player to 16:9 and for some reason I cannot get a full picture using component cables from component 1 from the DVD player to Component 1 on the TV. Can someone give me a suggestion as to how I should proceed. I am sure that I am missing something but I have run out of options.

Thanks,
Mark

Is the TV set to "Full" setting??
Are you using a DVD that states "Enhanced for 16*9 TV" (Ex. Lion King Special Edition) or an aspect of 1.78:1 or 1.66:1. These 2 aspects will fill most 16*9 screens. DVD OAR of 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 (Ex. Star Wars) will still have top & bottom letterboxing

Have you tried the various aspect ratios available on the Sammy via the Sammy's remote control? I have the same model Sammy w/ a Sammy DVD player connected via component cables and I don't have any problems.

That is intersting becasue when I use a "widescreen" formated DVD i push the "wide" on the Sammy and it fills the screen. I thought that I should be able to fill the screen using 4:3 on the TV? Also, the other question that I am running into is; would a DVI cable be a better option versus component video.

Thanks,

yes the Yamaha has DVI. The new problem that I have is that I decided to use the Yamaha as the central component for video and sound and when I connected the Motorola box via component cable to the Yamaha i cannot get HD into the TV. It works directly to the TV via component cables. I am going to try a few things here but if anyone has any suggestions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)