Need Help With Hopper-Several Questions

KWarner

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
St. Louis
Hi, I have lurked on this site for years, but only posted a few times. I am considering the Hopper. But need some questions answered. The Dish people are so frustrating, they give me a different answer every time I call/chat. I am used to it, I have been with Dish for 20 years, but these questions shouldn't be that hard.

Any help would be truly appreciated. So,

I currently have a 722 with sling adapter on my HDTV and 2 SD DVR's (one has 2 tuners, one a single tuner). I plan to get rid of the SD TV's and SD DVR's and go with 2 HDTV's

Am I correct that if I have 2 hoppers, I will have 6 tuners, with one dedicated to PTAT? So, 5 available tuners? My wife will never go for just 1 Hopper and a Joey because
of the smaller amount of tuners.

Can the 2 Hoppers "see" each other as in networked together where both TV's would have access to the contents of both Hoppers?

Is the Hopper Transfer available on Android? I know about DishAnywhere, but I'm speaking specifically about actual transfers of shows to a tablet besides Ipad. The Dish people are very confused about this one.

When I move, (and add more HDTV) how many Joeys can I add if I keep the 2 Hoppers and will the Joeys be dedicated to 1 Hopper or able to access both?

Can I hook up my EHD to a Hopper? And/or can I move the contents of my 722 to the Hopper?

I am very satisfied with Dish and my current setup, but am excited about the Hopper possibilities, but I have to keep my wife happy too. Everything I read on this site seems like most everyone really likes the Hopper. Am I correct in my assessment?

Sorry for so many questions, but even the "advanced" tech people could not answer my questions, and they seem like pretty standard questions to me.

Thanks in advance for replies. Please feel free to ask clarifying questions, etc.

Tim

1. Yes, 6 tuners, 5 with one doing PTAT during prime hours.
2. Yes they can see each other.
3. Don't believe so on android. Could be wrong. Others may have more insight.
4. I believe you can add 2 joeys per hopper. Joeys are linked to a specific hopper, but you can still see and watch content on either hopper.
5. Yes. You should be able to, I did with my 622.
6. 99% of us love our Hoppers.

Hope I got all this info correct, please correct me if I am wrong on any of this.

Hope this helps.

Hi, I have lurked on this site for years, but only posted a few times. I am considering the Hopper. But need some questions answered. The Dish people are so frustrating, they give me a different answer every time I call/chat. I am used to it, I have been with Dish for 20 years, but these questions shouldn't be that hard.

Any help would be truly appreciated. So,

I currently have a 722 with sling adapter on my HDTV and 2 SD DVR's (one has 2 tuners, one a single tuner). I plan to get rid of the SD TV's and SD DVR's and go with 2 HDTV's

Am I correct that if I have 2 hoppers, I will have 6 tuners, with one dedicated to PTAT? So, 5 available tuners? My wife will never go for just 1 Hopper and a Joey because
of the smaller amount of tuners. You will have 6 tuners available. You do not have to use PTAT at all but if you do it will use up one tuner during prime time hours. You can set it on both Hoppers also but really only need it active on one.

Can the 2 Hoppers "see" each other as in networked together where both TV's would have access to the contents of both Hoppers? You can switch between the 2 Hopper's recording from the DVR menu. Each Hopper has it's separate recordings though so it's not full integration yet.

Is the Hopper Transfer available on Android? I know about DishAnywhere, but I'm speaking specifically about actual transfers of shows to a tablet besides Ipad. The Dish people are very confused about this one.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/323950-DISH-introduces-Hopper-Transfers-to-Android-Platform

When I move, (and add more HDTV) how many Joeys can I add if I keep the 2 Hoppers and will the Joeys be dedicated to 1 Hopper or able to access both?
You can have 3 Joeys per Hopper. You can link the Joey to either Hopper when ever you want for full access of that Hopper.

Can I hook up my EHD to a Hopper? And/or can I move the contents of my 722 to the Hopper.
Yes, Yes

I am very satisfied with Dish and my current setup, but am excited about the Hopper possibilities, but I have to keep my wife happy too. Everything I read on this site seems like most everyone really likes the Hopper. Am I correct in my assessment?
I think almost everyone that has the Hopper here loves it. There are of course some bugs that bother people and by reading them on here you may get the idea that the Hopper has a lot of problems. Most of these issues are minor and overall people feel the Hopper is the best DVR available.

Sorry for so many questions, but even the "advanced" tech people could not answer my questions, and they seem like pretty standard questions to me.

Thanks in advance for replies. Please feel free to ask clarifying questions, etc.

Tim

Do yourself a favor and get the Hopper, you won't regret it.

Last edited:
Wow!!

Thanks for the prompt and thorough replies. This is exactly the information I needed.

I will definitely make the move to the Hopper, I'm excited!

Thanks again to all of you.

CES is next month. Hopper announcements expected. Could be new model- or, more likely IMHO, software and feature enhancements to existing models.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Wow!!

Thanks for the prompt and thorough replies. This is exactly the information I needed.

I will definitely make the move to the Hopper, I'm excited!

Thanks again to all of you.

Make sure you are aware of what your bill will be once you upgrade though. Most likely your monthly bill is going to increase because the DVR and secondary Hopper fee is more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts