Need help with OTA HDTV Antenna

bigcliffiestyle

Original poster
Nov 13, 2004
Hopefully one of you champs can help me with a problem I'm having. I have a UHF antenna on my roof for picking up my local channels in HDTV. When I run the cable from the antenna directly into the satellite receiver in my bedroom (only 10 feet away), I pick up several HDTV locals. However, I want to receive the local channels in my basement.

In order to receive HDTV locals in my basement, I have to run the cable from the antenna, to a diplexer where it connects with the Satelitte signal, where it travels 40-50 feet to my basement, where I split the signal with another diplexer before connecting it to the back of my satellite receiver. My signal in the basement is nonexistant. Occasionally I get a channel or two, but that's rare.

Is there a signal booster or an amplifier that would help me? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

My suggestion - to identify problem - get rid of all the duplexers and splitters. Run a line right from antenna to receiver in basement. If you still can't get same reception as in your bedroom - it's the sensitivity of your satellite receiver that's the problem.

If you get the same reception, then your problem is solved by eliminating the signal losses caused by the duplexers and splitters.

bigcliffiestyle said:
Hopefully one of you champs can help me with a problem I'm having. I have a UHF antenna on my roof for picking up my local channels in HDTV. When I run the cable from the antenna directly into the satellite receiver in my bedroom (only 10 feet away), I pick up several HDTV locals. However, I want to receive the local channels in my basement.

In order to receive HDTV locals in my basement, I have to run the cable from the antenna, to a diplexer where it connects with the Satelitte signal, where it travels 40-50 feet to my basement, where I split the signal with another diplexer before connecting it to the back of my satellite receiver. My signal in the basement is nonexistant. Occasionally I get a channel or two, but that's rare.

Is there a signal booster or an amplifier that would help me? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Purchase a quality amplifier like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4693&item=3088187792&rd=1

Input the antenna cable into the amplifier. Take the output and run it to the diplexer. If you are going to use receivers in both the bedroom and basement, take the output of the amp and connect to a 2-way splitter. Connect one of the two splitter outputs to the diplexer and the other to the bedroom receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts