Need help with price to sell Hopper 3 DVR and remote

Yes, as I explained to you, they do seemingly change their policy on reactivating used receivers periodically. It can even vary just depending on which CSR you get. So, it is just another case of CSR roulette, maybe.

Also, the key difference with the receiver I sent you is that my Dish account is still active. Although the ViP211k was already deactivated, it was still listed under My Equipment along with my active receiver, until I called Dish to remove the ViP211k. Once the Dish account is completely closed, the policy as far as reactivating used equipment from that account on another account may very well be completely different, as confirmed by kirbylile above.
Yeah I am not sure of their exact policy beyond what they put me through personally. They did eventually activate that 211 after you contacted them (PM sent about interesting side story). I have another 211 that I still can not use because dish claims it is on another account. I got it off craigslist with a looks like new pathway x2. The seller stated they hadn't camped and used the unit for about 3 years. Dish won't activate it. Seller says dish closed her account years ago when they came and took down the LNB but left the dish? IDK.

Yeah I am not sure of their exact policy beyond what they put me through personally. They did eventually activate that 211 after you contacted them (PM sent about interesting side story). I have another 211 that I still can not use because dish claims it is on another account. I got it off craigslist with a looks like new pathway x2. The seller stated they hadn't camped and used the unit for about 3 years. Dish won't activate it. Seller says dish closed her account years ago when they came and took down the LNB but left the dish? IDK.
If it's a 211Z from a leased account which I'm sure it was because dish came out and removed the LNB they won't activate it..I had a 2yr commitment with a leased 211Z..I closed the account and dish told me to just recycle the receiver..Once the leased 211Z receiver was removed it could never be reactivated.. Only customer purchased 211Z can be reactivated

Last edited:
Unless Dish has changed their business rules:
It has been the policy of Dish to require ALL used DVR's to be returned for exchange BEFORE redeployment (doesn't matter if you own it). The reasoning is that if there are any movies on the hard drive, then reselling the unit would constitute resale of copyrighted material with-out express written consent of the copyright holder.

It has been the policy of Dish to require ALL used DVR's to be returned for exchange BEFORE redeployment (doesn't matter if you own it). The reasoning is that if there are any movies on the hard drive, then reselling the unit would constitute resale of copyrighted material with-out express written consent of the copyright holder.
I thought the movies on any Dish DVR were encrypted with a key unique to owning account and would not be accessible once that account was de-activated because the encryption key would be destroyed. Sale of an encrypted copy that cannot be decrypted is should not be resale of copyrighted material, if it is why encrypt at all?

One of my two H2's was bought directly from a private party on eBay and I had no problems activating it. I did check with Dish first to make sure it was eligible for activation before buying.

I thought the movies on any Dish DVR were encrypted with a key unique to owning account...
I think it depends. I know that all the programs on the EHD are encrypted like that, including OTA recordings which everybody records just fine using other types of DVRs. But the programs recorded on the internal disk may or may not be encrypted. I haven't looked to see if this is still true for a Hopper. But in the VIP days, you could in fact play internal recordings, even if they came from somebody else's account.

I thought the movies on any Dish DVR were encrypted with a key unique to owning account and would not be accessible once that account was de-activated because the encryption key would be destroyed. Sale of an encrypted copy that cannot be decrypted is should not be resale of copyrighted material, if it is why encrypt at all?
I recently bought a used hopper w/sling that had been out of the stream for 6 yrs..The dvr was 40%full of recordings and are still playing fine on my account.. There's a mix of ppv movies disney movies tv shows..25 episode's of dukes of hazzard..I rarely use dvr..I use dish chat to check the receiver to make sure it was clear for activation..I had 5 different ones that were listed on ebay and each one was leased and had money owed on the accounts..

I think it depends. I know that all the programs on the EHD are encrypted like that, including OTA recordings which everybody records just fine using other types of DVRs. But the programs recorded on the internal disk may or may not be encrypted. I haven't looked to see if this is still true for a Hopper. But in the VIP days, you could in fact play internal recordings, even if they came from somebody else's account.
I think I know the answer to this, at least from my experience. Last year, I transferred a used purchased Hopper Duo from my old Dish account to the account I am currently using. Earlier this month, I activated a used Hopper 3 that I purchased from another member here, on my same Dish account that previously had the Hopper Duo. In both cases, recordings on the internal hard drive made while the receiver was still on another account will still play just fine. The trade-off is that Dish placed a "D" code on my account to remove DVR functions. This means that there is no way to pause the recordings, nor skip back, rewind, skip forward, fast forward, etc. The DVR's also will not make any new recordings while they are active on my account. The plus side is that I do not get a charged a DVR fee, though.

(Interestingly, DVR functions still work for OTA channels while the receiver is deactivated. Also, PTAT attempts to record on the Hopper 3 as soon as I deactivate it. Of course, at that point, I am no longer actually receiving the channels, so nothing playable actually records in that case.)

I also have experience transferring ViP DVR's from one account to another. One time, I transferred one of my used purchased ViP612's to another account for my sister to use. As TheKrell said, recordings made while the ViP612 was still on the old account continued to play just fine. In this case, full DVR functionality also continued to work, both for existing recordings (on the internal hard drive) and new ones.

Well, Dish reported me and asked eBay to remove my Hopper 3 listing. Has anyone ever heard of this? I’m a little stunned and not sure what to do at this point.

- Your listing was reported by DISH Network LLC - Echostar Corporation for violating their software licensing rights. eBay’s Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) program offers intellectual property rights owner(s) a way to report listings that they believe infringe on their rights
- Some software companies have specific licensing agreements that restrict the resale of their software, keys, accounts, or virtual items associated with the same. If you don't have permission to resell their software, keys, accounts, or virtual items on eBay, you may be violating this agreement
- If you believe a mistake has been made, you will need to contact the rights owner directly. If the rights owner approves your appeal, please have them contact us directly to reinstate your listing(s)

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I noticed there’s a classified section in this forum. Do you think I would have good luck there? I don’t mind joining and paying the membership fee if it will most likely sell. I’m just very confused why eBay removed my listing when there are hundreds of other Dish Hopper box listings (although none are the 3 version). All I want to do is unload this box and get a little of my money back for it.

I noticed there’s a classified section in this forum. Do you think I would have good luck there? I don’t mind joining and paying the membership fee if it will most likely sell. I’m just very confused why eBay removed my listing when there are hundreds of other Dish Hopper box listings (although none are the 3 version). All I want to do is unload this box and get a little of my money back for it.
If you included any Dish logos or other copyrighted material in your ad, many companies use specialized search bots to look for them and send take down requests.

I noticed there’s a classified section in this forum. Do you think I would have good luck there?
Yes, that is where I purchased the Hopper 3 that I mentioned earlier in this thread. I paid $190 plus shipping for it.
I don’t mind joining and paying the membership fee if it will most likely sell.
I have also sold multiple Wally and Hopper Duo receivers (including the Hopper Duo I also mentioned earlier) through the Classified section here, as well as many other Dish accessories. So, I have made back many multiples of the relatively small amount that I had to pay for a Pub Membership to be able to list items there.
I’m just very confused why eBay removed my listing when there are hundreds of other Dish Hopper box listings (although none are the 3 version).
Maybe because the Hopper 3 has so much better software than any of the other Hopper models?
- Your listing was reported by DISH Network LLC - Echostar Corporation for violating their software licensing rights. eBay’s Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) program offers intellectual property rights owner(s) a way to report listings that they believe infringe on their rights
- Some software companies have specific licensing agreements that restrict the resale of their software, keys, accounts, or virtual items associated with the same. If you don't have permission to resell their software, keys, accounts, or virtual items on eBay, you may be violating this agreement

Reactions: kirbylile
I’m just very confused why eBay removed my listing when there are hundreds of other Dish Hopper box listings (although none are the 3 version).
Could possibly be that since I would guess 99% of the hopper 3's are leased the hopper 3 is tagged and shouldn't be on ebay to slow down people trying to sell leased receivers..I mentioned earlier that I checked 5 hopper w/sling's from ebay and all were leased that were outstanding balanced owed for no-returned..

Could possibly be that since I would guess 99% of the hopper 3's are leased the hopper 3 is tagged and shouldn't be on ebay to slow down people trying to sell leased receivers..I mentioned earlier that I checked 5 hopper w/sling's from ebay and all were leased that were outstanding balanced owed for no-returned..
Mine Hopper 3 is clear. I called Dish and spoke to them and they assured me I own it. I told the CSR I was reselling and she said that was fine. The numbers and bar codes on the photos in the eBay listing were covered. They couldn’t have known what box it was.

If you included any Dish logos or other copyrighted material in your ad, many companies use specialized search bots to look for them and send take down requests.
No logos, no copied and pasted text from anywhere. It was a pretty plain listing honestly. Not much more than what I’ve said in this forum. I kinda figured if you knew what it was then you knew what it could do or could google it. I even used a previously sold listing to start my own listing, clicking the “I have one of these to sell” button to get started. There was one other listing besides mine for a Hopper 3, and I was watching it daily, and it has disappeared too. Either it was sold or removed. eBay says I have to contact Dish so that’s a lost cause. I really just want to unload this thing. I’ll look at the classified section of this forum tomorrow. Thanks again you guys.

Reactions: NYDutch
Mine Hopper 3 is clear
I understand that you own the hopper.. I'm just saying that there are very few owned hopper3's when you compair the amount of leased ones and believe me that people will try to sell things they don't actually own.. It's possibly a way to cut down on dish owned receivers being sold through ebay.. Post it here.. someone will buy it

Reactions: pattykay
Mine Hopper 3 is clear. I called Dish and spoke to them and they assured me I own it. I told the CSR I was reselling and she said that was fine. The numbers and bar codes on the photos in the eBay listing were covered. They couldn’t have known what box it was.
Maybe that was the problem. If they could have checked those numbers to verify that the Hopper 3 is purchased (and in fact is the same one that you already asked them about reselling) then Dish may have allowed that listing to remain. With no way to verify that, Dish may have had no choice but to challenge the listing. Dish may be getting tired of people constantly calling them to check the ownership status of Hoppers listed on ebay, that turn out to be leased, so they are starting to crack down on those listings.
..I mentioned earlier that I checked 5 hopper w/sling's from ebay and all were leased that were outstanding balanced owed for no-returned..

Reactions: Tvland1
Maybe that was the problem. If they could have checked those numbers to verify that the Hopper 3 is purchased (and in fact is the same one that you already asked them about reselling) then Dish may have allowed that listing to remain. With no way to verify that, Dish may have had no choice but to challenge the listing. Dish may be getting tired of people constantly calling them to check the ownership status of Hoppers listed on ebay, that turn out to be leased, so they are starting to crack down on those listings.
Guilty until proven innocent. Interesting angle. eBay is exhausting.

I even used a previously sold listing to start my own listing, clicking the “I have one of these to sell” button to get started. There was one other listing besides mine for a Hopper 3, and I was watching it daily, and it has disappeared too. Either it was sold or removed.

Since you used a previous Hopper3 listing and said I have one of these to sell, I wonder if the previous Hopper3 receiver was a leased receiver and since you covered the receiver number Dish assumed both receivers were leased.

Reactions: pattykay
Since you used a previous Hopper3 listing and said I have one of these to sell, I wonder if the previous Hopper3 receiver was a leased receiver and since you covered the receiver number Dish assumed both receivers were leased.
I really doubt it. The template was mostly blank and I had to fill in practically all the details. Nothing in my listing was brought over from his old listing except the title, and I wound up changing even that eventually.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts