Need help with Radio Shack 8-1 universal remote and dish dp311

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Don't clear anything from the Radio Shack remote yet. The DISH receiver can have 16 remote control addresses, the address on the remote must match the address on the receiver. I suspect the replacement 311 is set for remote address #1 and the Radio Shack 8 N 1 is set for a different address so they aren't talking to each other. You need to change the address on the receiver then check the 8 N 1 to see if it operates. The ideal situation would be to bring up the sys. info on the replaced receiver to see what address it was set to and then set the new 311 to that address. I assume the old 311 has already been returned to DISH so it is trial and error until you find the right address if the Radio Shack 8 N 1 hasn't already been accidently changed.
How do I change the address?
When I push system info it says address 4 at the bottom. How do I get down there to change it?

I checked the other box on the SAT button, it is set to remote address 1. If that is what is needed for my 8-1 remote to recognize it, does that mean when I change a channel on my box it will affect the other box?

Last edited:
If the box to be controlled is something other than address 1, then the setup code is irrelevant and all commands will have to be learned, unless you have a JP1 cable, in which case, you simply select the proper address in the JP1 software and download it into the remote. If you are using address 1, in AUX mode, you must specify the device type. So you must use SAT 0775 (most likely), not any other device type (TV, AUD, etc.).

Will any of your Dish remotes operate the new box? If so, clear a few old learns to make room for enough new ones to test. If any are successful, then clear all of them and learn all the commands from the working Dish remote. Just remember, you only have enough learning memory for a total of 20-30 keys across all devices.

The key really is determining or setting the address for your box as posted early in this thread. That will determine what code to use and whether you need to do any learns.

IMO, your 15-2116 is every bit as good as any harmony if you start using the software. It's much more powerful and sophisticated than harmony software since it can do unlimited macros, nested macros, recursion, unlimited devices, fast macros, conditional branching, just to name a few things. And has a fully graphical programming interface, unlike harmony. I used 15-2116's for many years and still have a few in my closet. I never had any issues using them with any of Dish's 32 possible addresses. I just pick the address in the software as I said. With the JP1 software you never have to use learns except for signal analysis.

I am technology illiterate. I've never heard of a JP1 and can't even figure out how to change the address on the dish box for the remote, it shows address 4

How do I change the address?
When I push system info it says address 4 at the bottom. How do I get down there to change it?

I checked the other box on the SAT button, it is set to remote address 1. If that is what is needed for my 8-1 remote to recognize it, does that mean when I change a channel on my box it will affect the other box?
Have you put batteries in one of the original dish remotes? once you do push and hold the sat button until all 4 light light up. Release sat button press 4 and then the # sign. The remote should now operate the 311 using address number 4.

To try and find the address that the 8 n 1 is programmed for you will have to try an address on the 311 then see if the receiver will respond to the 8 n 1 there are addresses from 1 to 15 so it will take a little time.

Bring up sys. info on 311 display.
Push and hold sat button till 4 lights come on
Release sat button press 2 & #
PRESS THE RECORD BUTTON (red)
The address 4 should have changed to the number 2 now try the 8 n 1 and see if it will work if it dosen't repeat procedure but with address 3. Hopefully before you get to address 15 you will find the address the old receiver was set to. Good luck, it is a shame DISH technicians aren't familiar with their products.

Have you put batteries in one of the original dish remotes? once you do push and hold the sat button until all 4 light light up. Release sat button press 4 and then the # sign. The remote should now operate the 311 using address number 4.

To try and find the address that the 8 n 1 is programmed for you will have to try an address on the 311 then see if the receiver will respond to the 8 n 1 there are addresses from 1 to 15 so it will take a little time.

Bring up sys. info on 311 display.
Push and hold sat button till 4 lights come on
Release sat button press 2 & #
PRESS THE RECORD BUTTON (red)
The address 4 should have changed to the number 2 now try the 8 n 1 and see if it will work if it dosen't repeat procedure but with address 3. Hopefully before you get to address 15 you will find the address the old receiver was set to. Good luck, it is a shame DISH technicians aren't familiar with their products.

Thanks, I will be trying this out. I have already, and managed to get them stuck or in-line with the other box I guess by trying addy 1 or 2 and a call to dish, power off and channel up then changing remote addys again got em un stuck.

I appreciate your help and will let you know how it goes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts