Need help with Slimline set up!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

teedoff00

Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
SLC, UT
Hey, I am new here and I am trying to set up a R22-100 Receiver with a Slimline dish (LNB is a SL3PIG-Z).

First off is this setup compatible with my receiver?
Second where do I align the dish with relation to the adjustment center circled in red
f3t5hh.jpg

Does it have to be level as pictures or offset?
Next do I setup my receiver for Slimline 3, Slimline 5, or one of the other variations with the following LNB?
wk5nd2.jpg

2day6a8.jpg

And finally, sorry for all the questions, which two cable leads, out of the four outputs of the LNB, should I use? (As in the left and left-middle, left-middle and right-middle, or right-middle and right)
I am in zipcode 84095, if that helps.

Thanks for any help and or ideas.

Ok that is definitely what I will be doing if I can't get this to work, but I would still like to know the answers to the questions if anyone knows? Thanks for your reply!
So does anyone have any ideas on the above post?
I really just need to make sure the setup (receiver configuration, LNB hookup, and leveling of the adjusting pedestal) is correct, so I can start trying to find a signal according to specified, tilt, azimuthal and evalation adjustments.
Thanks again guys,

Set the receiver for Slimline 3.
The mast must be plumb and use the adjustments as indicated on the receiver for your zip code.
Also, run all four lines from the LNB to a common location.
Use two for the R22.
Having all four available will make it much easier to add another receiver or multiswitch.

JDSpencer, thanks for your reply. It was very informative. At this time I am not planning on running another receiver just my R22. Do I need to get a combiner for the 4 lines coming out or can I just use two? I just have the DirectTv DVR Plus package with no premium channels for the time being, so I am not sure which lines pick up which satellites, etc.
Thanks again,

OK so I got everything hooked up and I am getting all the channels except for a few. All the ones from Sat In 2 are not receiving. I hooked up the PI-21 onto the IN 2 line and the IN 1 on the Receiver is just hooked up to one of the other lines on the LNB.

So do I need another PI-21 to run the other line in?

Or do I need a muli-switch that you run all for lines of the LNB to?

I tried setting my receiver to the settings that JDSpencer gave, but every time my receiver searches it changes it back to Slimline 5, Multiswitch, and 2 tuners.
If anyone has any Ideas that would be great!
Thanks!

OK so I got everything hooked up and I am getting all the channels except for a few. All the ones from Sat In 2 are not receiving. I hooked up the PI-21 onto the IN 2 line and the IN 1 on the Receiver is just hooked up to one of the other lines on the LNB.

So do I need another PI-21 to run the other line in?

Or do I need a muli-switch that you run all for lines of the LNB to?

I tried setting my receiver to the settings that JDSpencer gave, but every time my receiver searches it changes it back to Slimline 5, Multiswitch, and 2 tuners.
If anyone has any Ideas that would be great!
Thanks!

Are you going thru the Rec's set up to set the LNB setting ?

Curious, did you run all 4 lines from the dish to a central location ? (btw, this has nothing to do with your problems), just wondering ... I normally run all 4 to the Ground block or MS and go from there..
As mentioned, it makes it easier in the future.

Do you have picture on all your channels ?

Verify that before worrying about the second tuner, once you have them all working, try to record something and then change channel and see what happens.

Jimbo

Thanks for responding Jimbo,
I do not currently have a multi-switch. I am just running two lines from two of the connections on the LNB directly to the two inputs on my receiver. And on the Sat In 2 (which is odd because it seems that the missing channels (TBS, Speed, TWC, etc have no picture and say, searching for signal on Sat In 2) I have the inline PI-21.

I have tried to run the LNB setup through the receiver, however everytime I try to setup the receiver, it ends up forcing a reboot and resets itself to Slimline 5, Multi-switch, and 2 tuners after sat. configuration is ran at start-up

I am not sure if this is a set-up issue (receiver), if I am required to have a multiswitch, or if I can simply add another PI-21 inline on my second feed going into Sat In 1.

Once again, thanks for responding and helping me out!

Thanks for responding Jimbo,
I do not currently have a multi-switch. I am just running two lines from two of the connections on the LNB directly to the two inputs on my receiver. And on the Sat In 2 (which is odd because it seems that the missing channels (TBS, Speed, TWC, etc have no picture and say, searching for signal on Sat In 2) I have the inline PI-21.

I have tried to run the LNB setup through the receiver, however everytime I try to setup the receiver, it ends up forcing a reboot and resets itself to Slimline 5, Multi-switch, and 2 tuners after sat. configuration is ran at start-up

I am not sure if this is a set-up issue (receiver), if I am required to have a multiswitch, or if I can simply add another PI-21 inline on my second feed going into Sat In 1.

Once again, thanks for responding and helping me out!

You should only need the two lines with out a MS for what your doing.
What happened when you tried to record something and watch something else ?
Did it show a Conflict ? or did it work OK ?

I have only recorded one program since setup but haven't tried to record anything else. The main problem I am having is I can't pick up many channels, they say searching for signal on Sat In 2.
When entering into the receiver setup, it will always reset to Slimline 5, Multi-switch, and dual tuners.

My current set up is as follows:

15phcet.jpg

So, I really just need to know if there is something hooked up incorrectly, if I need another PI-21 Power Supply on The Sat IN 1 line, or if I really need to spend the money to get a multi-switch (which I only have one receiver and have no plans of getting another any time soon) that will combine all the four lines off of the LNB to a common location then take one or two feeds off of that?

Thanks again for your response Jimbo, I think I am close to the answer, hopefully this helps.

Last edited:
You do not need a multi switch. Post your signal strength readings.
Also, the PI is for SWM setups, which your LNB is not SWM. Take out the power inserter, and use a barrel, or ground block.

Last edited:
You do not need a multi switch. Post your signal strength readings.
Also, the PI is for SWM setups, which your LNB is not SWM. Take out the power inserter, and use a barrel, or ground block.

I wondered about that, but then why would he have got a PI with the set up ?

According to the model he's listed , it's the same one I installed a few weeks back, very easy and nice to work with.
If thats the case Teedoff, just run a second line for the other side, wait you do have it ran already, then do as Jmike said and place a barrel where the PI is.

Then see what it says and how it works, I bet you'll be much happier :)

I had it ran without the PI-21 before and I got nothing. I can try again and see what happens. I will keep you all informed.
Thanks again.
P.S. By barrel I am guessing you mean a coupler, sorry for my ignorance.

With only the R22, you only need 2 lines. Set the receiver as a slimline 3. Again, power inserters are for SWM setups, which you do not have. There is no reason to have it.

If after taking it out, you still can't get a signal on tuner 2, most likely you have a bad connection somewhere in the cable.

Most, if not all of your channels should be coming off the 101 sat. Possible exception to that is if your locals come off the 99 or 103.

Go to menu, setup, satellite, view signal strength. Post signal strenths for each sat.

Ok, I removed the Power Supply and everything is working great! Man that was easy, too bad I didn't realize it right off the bat.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help! Much appreciated!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)