Need Help with TV2 on 622 (remote issue)

Lets_Dance

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
I am having a problem with what I believe is my remote on TV2 with my vip622 receiver. When I turn my TV on it goes to the screen that says press select to enjoy your programming (paraphrase). No matter what I do, I cannot get the remote to talk to the receiver.

I have even gone into the room with the receiver and tried to press select and the power button from 1-3 feet away and nothing happens. I don't think the remote is bad because I can control my TV when TV is selected and when I turn the volume up or down, it does that. When I select SAT the button turns red, so I know I am in Sat mode.

I really don't want to buy a new remote for $50 to test it out. I am wondering if it somehow got reprogrammed or if maybe the receiver itself is acting up for TV2.

Also, the blue light is on for TV2 and the orange light is lit up under the TV2 logo/picture.

Check to see if your remote address codes are correct. Chapter 10 of users manual.

Orange light on with blue light indicates record function activated. If the previous posts haven't solved the problem, I suggest that you perform a soft reset. Hold front panel power button in for approx. 10 sec. Let the 622 "do it's thing" .

I did what was suggested by trying to change the TV2 remote address. No matter what I did, it would not ever change or even recognize the remote functions I would hit. If I tried to set the remote to 3 (which is what it's showing on the screen for TV2) then the icon next to TV2 starts to blink. However, when I get to the last step in changing the address and press select, it doesn't do anything.

When I exit out of this screen manually from the receiver controls and see if my remote recognizes the machine it doesn't from any distance other than about 6 inches from the receiver. I wasn't even able to do this before, but still 6 inches is ridiculous. It worked from my TV2 position for 6 months with no problems, so I know there aren't any physical issues with things blocking the signal.

I did what was suggested by trying to change the TV2 remote address. No matter what I did, it would not ever change or even recognize the remote functions I would hit. If I tried to set the remote to 3 (which is what it's showing on the screen for TV2) then the icon next to TV2 starts to blink. However, when I get to the last step in changing the address and press select, it doesn't do anything.

When I exit out of this screen manually from the receiver controls and see if my remote recognizes the machine it doesn't from any distance other than about 6 inches from the receiver. I wasn't even able to do this before, but still 6 inches is ridiculous. It worked from my TV2 position for 6 months with no problems, so I know there aren't any physical issues with things blocking the signal.

If you're getting it to work from six inches then the remote is fine. It is a signal problem. ANYTHING that you may have moved in the house or any electrical appliances added at your house (or your neighbors' house) would have changed the dynamics of the signal. But, you'll be O.K. with a small modification of your system.

Try adding a piece of coaxial cable to the "Remote Antenna" in and moving the antenna to the end of it. Move the antenna around and see if you find a spot that works. If not...

TV2 Tips & Tricks

Your answer should be found at the above link.

Now I have a whole new set of problems. I decided to move the receiver from out of the entertainment unit to see if the signal was getting last by being barried in the unit.

Well I had to unplug cables and stuff to do it. I got everything hooked up like I thought it should and the receiver began checking for a signal and found them and kicked on like normal (this is TV1). Well now when I go to TV2 and turn it to channel 73 (the channel is set to be for TV2 via cable) all I get is snow. But here is the best part, I can control the remote from the room TV2 is in because I hit the power button and walked into the living room and the power light was on, I then walked back into the bedroom (TV2) and hit the power button again and the power light went off.

So, if I can somehow get channel 73 to work like it should, then I should be ok. I am assuming I set up the cables wrong.

I have 2 splitters connected into the actual reciever (622) and none on TV2 end. I am getting confused with where all the coax go from each splitter on the receiver. My fiancee has my camera so I can't take pictures, unless I find my other camera.

I'll try and explain what how I have it setup.

From the wall going into TV1/622 receiver

- Coax from wall into splitter 1 (into the in/out female).
- From the other end there are 2 labels (SAT and VHF/UHF). The UHF/VHF is going into the 622 receiver in the TV Atenna/ Cable in slot.
- The The SAT is going to splitter number 2 in the input/output slot.
- From the other end there are 2 labels (Sat 1 In and Sat 2 In). I then connected the SAT 1 in into the Sat 1 in on the 622. Same for the SAT 2 in.

It will only allow me to set the channel to 21 if I choose "air" instead "cable". However, when I do this the remote doesn't respond when I have it selected to "air".

I got channel 21 to work by selecting "air" option, but I still get snow on channel 21 from TV2, but the remote works (I can tell that the blue light goes on and off when I hit the power button from the room).

I got it fixed!! It's set to channel 73 with the "cable" option. I think my problem was I had the coax from one of the splitters going into the Cable Antenna/Sat when it should have been going into the Home Distribution connector.

As to my original problem, I think it really had to do with entertainment unit it was in. I dunno why it worked for so many months then all of a sudden it didn't. It looks like crap how I have it set up with wires exposed, but at least I can control both TVs. I'll have to figure something out, but for right now everything works, and that is the important thing.

As mentioned before, try new batteries. Mine will become almost completely useless before the battery warning ever comes on.

Good troubleshooting, I Think hideffjeff probably had it right with extending the remote antenna to the outside of the cabinet the antenna may have vibrated down and touched something grounding out the signal. try that when you finally put it all together again.

It looks like crap how I have it set up with wires exposed, but at least I can control both TVs. I'll have to figure something out, but for right now everything works, and that is the important thing.
You could do the two splitter trick and take the antenna to TV2, keeping the receiver where you originally had it. Two short cables from TV2 out and Antenna into splitter, connected to cable running to TV2, then split back out at TV2, sticking the antenna behind the TV or thereabouts.

Thats the way I have mine setup, I use the tv out connection cabled directly to TV2......
Actually I am up to my ears in Taxes and just browsed a little trying to find out when Dish is going to add new HD Channels, that satellite fiasco really hurt. I Have been contemplating a hd outside antenna as soon as I get unburied from this paperwork mess I procrastinated myself into.

You could do the two splitter trick and take the antenna to TV2, keeping the receiver where you originally had it. Two short cables from TV2 out and Antenna into splitter, connected to cable running to TV2, then split back out at TV2, sticking the antenna behind the TV or thereabouts.

I love that you're trying to help me, but most of this is a foreign language to me. Is there any way you can show me a diagram or a visual of how I do this? I get lost really quick looking at what you wrote and trying to apply it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)