Need Help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

AustinBill

Original poster
Dec 15, 2004
I recently signed up for DISH and I had ordered a 522DVR. I was planning on using it to control both the TV in the living room (TV1) and one upstairs in the masterbedroom (TV2).

well the day they come to install i am out of town on business and my wife is there and the tech says that TV2 (upstairs) is too far ( i measured it to be roughly 110ft, and thru only one wall) to control via the TV2 UHF remote and is going to install the 510 and a 311 upstairs. my wife says ok.

now the problem. the reason i went with the 522 was to record a different show while watching another. but on the 510 i have to record what i watch. if i want to watch something different, i need to go upstairs which is not my ideal situation.

my questions are:

1) is there another way to skin the cat here to accomplish what i want to do?

2) if i demand to switch back to the 522, will one of those remote boosters you can buy from RadioShack solve the distance issue that the tech claims is limiting my gettgin teh 522.

Any other thoguhts folks? THANKS!!!

It sounds like it is too late now you probably ordered directly from DISH so you got their $8/Hr. installer who does only what he was instructed. I am sure if you went through a good independent dealer he could have made it work. Now about the only thing you can do is Email ceo@echostar and see if they have a good installer they can send out and if they will allow a swap of equipment.

I actually can swap at anytime due to a unique situation. so knwoing that, wil the 522 with a UFH booster work for what i want to do?

AustinBill said:
I actually can swap at anytime due to a unique situation. so knwoing that, wil the 522 with a UFH booster work for what i want to do?

110 ft... LOL... There should be NO problem getting the 522 to work in the upstairs room. No booster needed.

I have installed them much farther with no problems. If all else fails, a couple of strategically placed diplexers used with the UHF remote antenna will do the trick.

110ft is way close. There are several situations where a remote in one house controls the neighbors. The reason the wanted to do it was because it takes more supplies and time (MONEY) to install a 522 and pays less than a 2 receiver install. So in short it was a mixture of laziness and greed. DEMAND they come fix it. Not only will you be able to record 2 shows but it will also cost $5 less a month with the 522. GOOD LUCK

200 feet is what they "say" it will do.

There's a thread somewhere that describes how to build your own UHF antenna that ends up looking like one of those little cellphone car antennae with the coils in it. I built one of those and doubled the range, I can control my 522 from way out in the back yard.

My neighbor across the street and two houses up got dish a couple of weeks ago and his remote was changing my channels. Not sure of the exact distance but the street-two house widths- and going through at least two brick walls-the range is pretty impressive. :D

I have also had the problem with the neighbor also changing my channels on my 522. After it happened the first time I went into the setup and changed the remote address for the UHF remote from the default and I have not had any problems since. My offending neighbor is at least 500 feet away.

cable connection to anntena

I had a big stone wall in my way.
You can unscrew/unplug the little anntena from the back of the receiver. Then you can screw/plug in a regular coax cable to the box. run the cable to a window if it is near or around a corner to get closer, whatever would work best. Screw that little annten onto the end of the cable.
I used the widow method. the signal goes right out the window and into the window across the driveway. this by passed the big stone wall that seemed to get in the way.
You could even run that wire under the house etc. and get very near tv2.

I have encountered this problem on several occasions. I believe that it was not the distance as much as the building materials in between the receiver and TV2. Here is what I do: At the back of the receiver, I remove the antenna. I make two small cable jumpers (12"). I connect one jumper to the port that I removed the antenna from. I connect one jumper to the TV2 out port. I connect both jumpers to the double side of a splitter. I connect the line going back to TV2 to the single side of the splitter. At the TV2 location, I remove the cable and plug it into the single side of a splitter. I connect another short jumper to the TV input port and to one of the 2 ports on the splitter. I then connect the small antenna directly to the other of the 2 ports on the splitter. This makes the entire line running to the receiver an antenna for the remote and works like a charm.

viqventeur,
This is really interesting....so your whole house could virtually be an antenna? I'm surprised there's no issue of impediance in the antenna line with all that cable. The 522 probably doesn't have the power to push an antenna that far....(but it works) :eureka

Does it interfere with the TV2 signal at all?

Thanks for the tip!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts