This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

need help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jagm

Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
as I said when I introduced myself, I know nothing about FTA, satellites, etc.

I have:
a dish500 dual LNBF
a sonicview sv-1000
a winegard satellite finder SF 1000

I am in Ecuador at:
LAT -0.1868
LONG -78.5413
(according to LatLong Finder)

1. which satellites can I lock from my location?
2. according to lyngsat, I can lock NSS 806. elevation: 45.9; azimuth: 92.4 but I can´t get info about skew.
3. no matter what I do, the best I can get is 76 for strenght and 0 for quality.

what should I do?

Thanks

and due to his location, he wont get any of those channels that the 18" thread shows...the footprint doesnt go that far south

Thanks you all, but What should I do?

Which satellites can I lock with my setup and how?

nah. There are satellites that far south but most are C-band so he would need at least a 1.8m dish or larger

That's what I mean.....not much to see since he is so far south and they are mostly cband, not much to see with a ku/Dish setup. But, some of the C-band stuff looks good!

no

The DBS satellites here i the US do not go farther south than northern Mexico. You would need a C-Band LNBF

so, all I have is useless?.

is there anything I can do?

Thanks.

don't give up

I have:
a dish500 dual LNBF
a sonicview sv-1000
a winegard satellite finder SF 1000

I am in Ecuador at:
LAT -0.1868
LONG -78.5413
what should I do?

Two critical things to look for:

When you look on the Lyngsat web pages, note in the frequency column on the left, that four digit frequencies in the 3xxx and 4xxx range are C-band.
Traditionally, that will require a 6..8 foot dish, if you in the regular coverage area of that satellite.
Frequencies with five digits such as 11xxx and 12xxx are Ku band.
That would usually require a 36 inch dish, if you are in prime coverage for that satellite, or somewhat larger if you are not in the main coverage area.

Then, to the right, in the column marked "beam", note what area the signal covers.
Often, there is a link to a coverage map.
Look at that map and see if you are in the coverage area for that particular transponder.
For example, if that specific beam covers Europe, you won't be able to receive the signal.
I don't know what is the main coverage are for the satellite you mentioned.
It's not clear: "Hemi"? The entire hemisphere?
I'm sure there is a map on the internet with signal coverage for that satellite, somewhere.

You mentioned a Dish 500. That consists of a 20 inch dish and a twin LNBF.
I'm not familiar with any satellite services you could receive on that size dish, nor with that sort of circular polarity LNBF.
None of the North American satellite services have a signal that far south.
None of the FTA satellites would be receivable on a circular LNBF.

Perhaps you have a Dish twin LNBF only, and mounted to a larger dish.
That wasn't clear, so perhaps you could comment.

What sort of satellite services do your neighbors receive?
What sort of equipment are they using? Receiver. Dish size? etc.?

The Sonicview receiver should be adequate for some sort of program reception, if connected to a proper dish/lnbf, and aimed at the right satellite.

What sort of programming are you looking for?

Anole and Giraffejumper:
Thanks for your help.
As I said before, I don´t know about FTA or satellites at all.
Anole, I´ve seen neighbors with 20 inch (or smaller) dishes up to 6 foot or bigger ones, I don´t know what services do they receive. I also don´t know what kind of equipment they have. By now I have a 20 inch dish, I can get a bigger dish but I would like to know first if it can really make a difference. About programming, just something different.
Giraffejumper:
I´ll read the article and see what comes up.
Thanks

I think there is a subscription service in Latin/South America like DirecTV (DTV Latin maybe?)

Yes, there is a suscription service like DirectV. How can it help me?.

I´ve found information in
SatcoDX DishTrak (tm) AMAZONAS (299.0E - 61.0W)
but, pointing to that direction, the best I get is 80 for strenght and still 0 for quality. I´ve seen many dishes pointing to the same direction and some of them are the same size of the one that I am using. A difference I´ve noted is the elevation angle. most, but not all, are about 0º. Could that have something to do with the city elevation? Quito is 2600m above sea level.

Status
Please reply by conversation.