Need help receiving PBS on 99W with my setup

Si.

Original poster
Nov 5, 2017
London Ontario Canada
I have a 10 foot mesh with a ku/ c combo . using a manhattan rc1978 receiver . The KU is Iffy at best so I bought a 30 inch dish and a new KU lnb . It was set up just to see if it would work. I am able to get ku on 101W but want to receive PBS on 99W so far with no results. TVRO has a 100CM bside that channel listing. Does that mean I need a bigger dish to get PBS? Is there a way to mount the KU block on the big gish and get better reception . I live just north of London Ontartio .
Thanks for any help one can give/

I am right near you. I have an 80cm dish, and get both Montana PBS and the PBS mux. It does require almost pinpoint accuracy to get, unlike the the strong mux on 101 (which I can get on a Shaw Direct 60e dish). Just keep moving the dish slowly away from 101, and blind scan after ever move. Good luck!

I recalled our previous discussion about your attempt to get 97, and you had a tree that blocked your view. You could be having the same problem with 99, but give it a try anyhow, it might come in!

I moved the dish to a new location . According to satellite finder it should have a clear sight to 99W . Maybe just dont have enough patience. I wanted to know if the 30" dish is big enought .,

Reactions: Keith Brannen
short note to say thanks to Keith . Your info is most helpful. I have not yet found PBS but now know to move a LITTLE and test. I am using one of those cheap tiny squeeking sat finder and understand they somtimes don't respond to really weak signals.

Reactions: Keith Brannen
Personally, I would use the receiver to try and find the signal, and use the blind scan function after every movement. I have never used a sat finder myself. Sometimes the receiver will get a hint of a signal and display the transponder info and from there you can fine tune it after that. Especially when you know exactly where you are at your starting point of 101, and are just moving it 2 degrees.

Good luck!

short note to say thanks to Keith . Your info is most helpful. I have not yet found PBS but now know to move a LITTLE and test. I am using one of those cheap tiny squeeking sat finder and understand they somtimes don't respond to really weak signals.
IF you can get 101w, set your sat finder so it reads around 8 or 9 ( when a channel is coming in). And than slowly move your dish over to 99w, the squeak box should start to drop than move back up when your on the sat. Maybe higher or lower than the 8 or 9 that you had on 101w. I would try to fine Info Wars @ 12095 H 3676 4/5, I've had better luck finding this tp when I keep messing with my dish and need to find 99w. I have a 10ft dish, and after a lot of tuning I can get the PBS reading around 11dbs, but for the life of me, I can't get Montana PBS to come in better than 8dbs. If it comes in at all.

Here in northern lower Michigan I’ve never had an issue with the 99W PBS and they’ve always been very good. Right now I am getting 86% quality on both polarities (Montana PBS one one, and then Create, World, etc. on the other). I do have a 10 ft dish however.

Here in northern lower Michigan I’ve never had an issue with the 99W PBS and they’ve always been very good. Right now I am getting 86% quality on both polarities (Montana PBS one one, and then Create, World, etc. on the other). I do have a 10 ft dish however.
when I had my 7.5 up, I was able to get both reading around 10 or 11dbs. I believe my feedhorn may not be 100% centered, I just don't know.