Need info about Hopper in RV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Laura82781

Original poster
Feb 15, 2019
Checotah, Oklahoma
Trying to find some information to see if this is possible. We just sold our house and moved into our 5th wheel until we find a place to buy. We had Dish at the house with the Hopper(first version I believe) and Joey1.0. We haven’t canceled our service yet. Can I just buy the Winegard Dish 1000.2 and the solo node and use our receivers? Or would it be more complicated? I’ve read that dealing with Dish in an RV is a nightmare and was trying to avoid calling them. I guess if I have to go a different route I will, but I’d prefer to keep the Hopper since we have a ton of movies and shows on it.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The Winegard 1000.2 will work well for you, and there's no need to contact Dish unless you're moving around and want to change your locals. As far as Dish is concerned, you'll be no different than the many RV'ers that take a home unit with them when they go on vacation. We're full time RV'ers and Dish has never had any problems with it, so I'm not sure where you heard the "nightmare" stories or what they might be.

Why buy a new dish? Just use the one at your present house. It's yours. You'll probably need a tripod if you're going to be staying at an RV park. If you're staying on private land, just put a pole in the ground to set the dish on.

If you're not capable of setting up a dish or removing the old one to use, find a local DISH retailer, buy a dish from them, and ask them to come set it up.

Why buy a new dish? Just use the one at your present house. It's yours. You'll probably need a tripod if you're going to be staying at an RV park. If you're staying on private land, just put a pole in the ground to set the dish on.

If you're not capable of setting up a dish or removing the old one to use, find a local DISH retailer, buy a dish from them, and ask them to come set it up.

Well the house is sold but in the contract it stated that the satellite would remain. So if I purchase the satellite and the node I should have no problems getting it hooked up? The satellite specs say it’s western arc only...I’m in eastern OK, will that matter?

Well the house is sold but in the contract it stated that the satellite would remain. So if I purchase the satellite and the node I should have no problems getting it hooked up? The satellite specs say it’s western arc only...I’m in eastern OK, will that matter?
Laura, if you are in the Tulsa DMA, and it looks like you are, you want a 1000.2 dish with a western arc LNB (110, 119, 129) and you will be golden.

Reactions: NYDutch
Laura, if you are in the Tulsa DMA, and it looks like you are, you want a 1000.2 dish with a western arc LNB (110, 119, 129) and you will be golden.

Bobby, thanks! Yes, we get Tulsa stations, we are south of Tulsa in Checotah. Im just hoping the trailer is wired correctly, as we’ve had it since 08. We used Directtv years ago and didn’t have any problems. I’m assuming if I buy the solo mode all will be good. Where exactly does that hook up at? Is it where the cable from the satellite connects to the trailer? Or is it connected to the hopper inside?

Bobby, thanks! Yes, we get Tulsa stations, we are south of Tulsa in Checotah. Im just hoping the trailer is wired correctly, as we’ve had it since 08. We used Directtv years ago and didn’t have any problems. I’m assuming if I buy the solo mode all will be good. Where exactly does that hook up at? Is it where the cable from the satellite connects to the trailer? Or is it connected to the hopper inside?

I only wanted a single wire running to our RV, so I installed the solo node on the dish arm. That allows me to remove the reflector when I stow the dish in a storage bin.

If you find you can't get a clear view of the western arc from your location, you can install an eastern arc LNB. I switch back and forth fairly often as we move around.

2018-07-10 09.51.21.jpg

Last edited:
I only wanted a single wire running to our RV, so I installed the solo node on the dish arm. That allows me to remove the reflector when I stow the dish in a storage bin.

If you find you can't get a clear view of the western arc from your location, you can install an eastern arc LNB. I switch back and forth fairly often as we move around.

View attachment 137227

Thanks for the info!

Reactions: NYDutch

View attachment 137227

Since you full time I’m assuming you’re really familiar with the way rv’s are set up. We have a 2008 Cardinal....it’s wired for Satellite but I was wondering if the cables are too outdated for the Hopper? I’m not tech savvy when it comes to all this so I just want to make sure everything will work before I order the equipment. In the bedroom there’s a hookup for the OTA and then another wallplate with dual female connectors....is one for cable and one for satellite? I’m just trying to get this straight lol....Attach the node to the sat. Run one cable from node on sat to sat input on outside of trailer. Plug receivers into the appropriate connection inside. It’s that simple?

Since you’ve dealt with Dish being a full timer what should I tell them when I call as far as new address? We just got a PO Box for our mail but I’m wondering if they’re going to want a physical address or try to change my plan to their month to month plans.

Different make/model RV's are wired differently for cable and satellite, not surprisingly. My motorhome for example, only had a single cable TV input from the outside, since it's wired through a Winegard power injector/switch for the rooftop OTA antenna, can not be used for satellite without making some modifications. It's also RG-59 not RG-6, so it's not recommended for multi-LNBF use. I added a separate RG-6 input that's a nearly direct run from the outside jack to our Hopper w/Sling with no splitters or injectors in the line. I only have a cable/OTA jack in the bedroom, so I can't say with any certainty what your setup is. When we had a Joey in the coach with our Hopper w/Sling, I ran the single coax (yes, it's RG-6) from the Solo Node at the dish to the coach input, and at the inside end, through a Dish Tap to the Hopper. The third port on the Tap had the RG-59 coax going to the bedroom connected to it with the Joey at the other end. Now we use a FireTVstick and the DishAnywhere app for the bedroom TV.

For your Dish account, just use you PO box for your billing address, and your current location as your service address so you'll get the correct locals if you have that option. If/when you move to a different location, if it's outside of the current locals spot beam, just chat or call Dish with the new service address to update the locals. Just make sure they only change the service address, not you billing address.

Ok, the weather was finally nice enough that my husband decided to get the sat put together. Currently only have the Hopper connected and it’s only showing sat 119. We’re not getting locals and some other channels....namely Fox Sports OK that he watches the Thunder games on. The guide is also not showing the correct time or shows. But, we are getting tv, so yay for that! On the satellite he only has one cable coming out connected to the solo node. Should there be a second to get the locals? I’m wondering if this is something we can troubleshoot or if I should find an authorized retailer/installer and have them come out and fix the issues.

Ok, the weather was finally nice enough that my husband decided to get the sat put together. Currently only have the Hopper connected and it’s only showing sat 119. We’re not getting locals and some other channels....namely Fox Sports OK that he watches the Thunder games on. The guide is also not showing the correct time or shows. But, we are getting tv, so yay for that! On the satellite he only has one cable coming out connected to the solo node. Should there be a second to get the locals? I’m wondering if this is something we can troubleshoot or if I should find an authorized retailer/installer and have them come out and fix the issues.

You need 2 wires from the dish to the node and one wire from the node to the Hopper 1 or Hopper 2.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks! That’s what I thought, but you know, my husband thinks he knows everything

So he hooked a cord to the 2nd LNB port and hooked to the node. Said no signal, when he unhooked from the node he was getting signal again. Going to try another cord and see if that makes a difference. Should the receiver be unplugged while he’s connecting then turn it on after all is setup?

So he hooked a cord to the 2nd LNB port and hooked to the node. Said no signal, when he unhooked from the node he was getting signal again. Going to try another cord and see if that makes a difference. Should the receiver be unplugged while he’s connecting then turn it on after all is setup?

It's always a good idea to have the receiver unplugged when connecting LNB lines. Also, you have to be sure your dish is pointed correctly and then you have to do a 'Test Installation' from the Diagnostics / Dish page.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts