Need Local OTA Station Help Long Island

Disabled_1

Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Long Island, NY
Hello,
I can no longer afford satellite dish that I now have and I went to the antennaweb.org and put in my zip code which is....11901...and I cannot understand if I can get locals or not? I did figure out I need a Large Directional Antenna but I am confused by the different colors and if I can receive stations and which ones as my eye sight is not something to write home about.
So I am asking if anyone could kindly tell me if I can receive OTA for my zip of 11901 and if I do need to purchase a large directional antenna and any suggestions to which one and where would I buy it?..I live in a small single story wood house close to the long island sound and can put an antenna on my property or roof (currently have a dish on my roof)
Thanks for any help and/or suggestions..
Bruno

Help Request

To re-word my help request.
My zip code is 11901
Can anyone tell me if i can receive digital local stations based on my zip code and if yes, any recommendations on a High Definition TV and antenna? ( I went to that antenna org site but I don't understand their listing for my zip code)
Thank you

Try http://www.2150.com/broadcast/ input your zip code in the second link to get declination and lat/lon.

Looks like there are several independents near (west) you, but best bet is from Connecticut (Bridgeport, New Haven and New London).

New York is 70 miles west, not easy to receive, but I'd give it a try (many say 60 miles is the practical limit for DTV).

Antenna, you need a deep fringe antenna with a preamplifier, and possible a rotator, if you want to look both north and west. I recommend a Channel Master 4228 with a CM7777 preamp, and a channel master rotator.

There are only 2-3 VHF digitals around you but they are high VHF and the CM4228 is satisfactory in high VHF.

First thing on a TV recommendation is what budget and room setup are you working with? If you are working with stations in multiple directions you would be better served by 2 high quality directionals or one well placed high quality multi/omni-directional.

Jim5506 said:
Try http://www.2150.com/broadcast/ input your zip code in the second link to get declination and lat/lon.

Looks like there are several independents near (west) you, but best bet is from Connecticut (Bridgeport, New Haven and New London).

New York is 70 miles west, not easy to receive, but I'd give it a try (many say 60 miles is the practical limit for DTV).

Antenna, you need a deep fringe antenna with a preamplifier, and possible a rotator, if you want to look both north and west. I recommend a Channel Master 4228 with a CM7777 preamp, and a channel master rotator.

There are only 2-3 VHF digitals around you but they are high VHF and the CM4228 is satisfactory in high VHF.
Thank you very much for helping me. I really appreciate it and you cleared up the confusion I had.

charper1 said:
First thing on a TV recommendation is what budget and room setup are you working with? If you are working with stations in multiple directions you would be better served by 2 high quality directionals or one well placed high quality multi/omni-directional.
Thank you very much. Yes, I neglected to say just 1 tv and I have saved up almost $900.00 that i can use towards it.
If I just get a few local channels free I will be happy and will use the current old tv I have.
Thanks to you and the other member for helping me out. I appreciate your time and sound advice.

My first purchase was my digital tuner, as I already had an antenna for local OTA analog channels. Next came a "set" capable of displaying the HDTV picture (pictured in my avatar), then an antenna upgrade.

You will see a noticable improvement in the clarity and crispness of the digital signal, even when not displayed on an HDTV set.

When you move up to an HDTV, there is another quantum leap in picture quality. It is truly almost like you are there. NFL football games, you have the VERY best seat in the house, you can see every detail, it's amazing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)