Need new equipment - Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

coloradoan

Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Denver, CO
All:

I have been a loyal DirecTV customer for almost 3 years now, never skipped a bill or paid late etc. Now I feel like they are making things really difficult and pricey for me for no reason.

My current equipment: Genie HR34 in the living room, HR24 HD DVR in the bedroom. Since my fiancee and her daughter will be moving in shortly, I am in need of a 3rd receiver for the girl's room. When I called DirecTV, they said either a Mini Genie or an HD receiver are gonna be $99, plus $99 for professional installation, and a 24-month contract extension. I feel like that's a rip-off, given the fact that the room for the new receiver is already wired (in fact, I move the HD DVR in there temporarily when the ladies spend the night) and installation is probably just going to entail unboxing that thing and hooking it up to the TV. I was told though that self-installation is not an option when ordering additional equipment. Of course I was not offered any discounts.

Could you guys please let me know if there's a cheaper way of getting what I need? Is professional installation REALLY required if the room is already wired? Or may I need a new SWM to feed the 3rd receiver? But the two DVR's with a total of 7 tuners are already working just fine (EDIT: SWM is model # PI21R1-03).

?Thanks.

Last edited:
You don't need anything more than the receiver. Since you are relatively new, you may not be able to get a better deal than what they offered already, but you might try calling the retention department and seeing if they can do better. Just call the main number and say cancel to get them. Explain your situation. If they can help, they will.

Your best bet is to call and threaten to cancel. You'll get transferred to CRG who can probably get you a receiver for free. No way around the 2 year commitment tho. As far as the install, they can probably either waive that or get you that for free too.
Regarding the install.. If you go with a Mini Genie then you can install it yourself (but it can be a pain, especially if you get a new CSR on the phone), but if you add an HD-DVR then you'll have to have an install because they'll need to change your current SWM to a SWM-16 to handle the extra tuners.

Solid Signal seems to have what you want.......you can order the box for a little more $$$ + shipping ($124.00 I think)............but you take it out of the box etc. The two year extension is probably not going to go away.

Check the SS site & talk to them. Might save the installation cost. You might need to change your splitter for the HDDVR...they can advise.

Joe

Or you could do the simple thing and order it online at directv.com and have it drop shipped. You have an HR34 so your under contract now and you won't get anything free from CRG you may get a free install but they will make you pay for one or the other. And FYI installs are only 49.95

If he does add a dvr to the scenario, hevwill be at 9 tuners and need a diiferent switch, the original set up covers 8 tuners.

If he doesnt need a dvr, he could easily add a basic hd recvr, 1 tuner and not need any other equipment, simply add the new recvr to the room he needs and turn it on, verify picture and call D* to activate.

He can get the new recfr from D* on Solid Signal or any other online place he chooses. Please stay away from the ebay type places as you never know if they are old Leased recvrs, that should have been sent back.

Thanks for all the helpful posts!

Jimbo - you're saying that the "original set up" (probably meaning my current SWM) covers 8 tuners. If that is correct, that would be great since all I ever wanted for the girl was an HD receiver and no DVR. I have whole-home so she can record stuff and watch it from one of the other DVRs anyways. I just wanted to make sure that an HD rec. will work (5 tuners Genie, 2 tuners HR24, 1 tuner new HD rec.).

Is there any upside of getting a mini Genie vs. an HD rec. ? I understand the one downside is that the mini Genie will take a tuner away from the Genie, and with 2 girls in the house that are hooked to their shows it could become an issue. Other than that I really don't know which one to choose.

?Thanks.

Oh and if I order the HD rec. off the DirecTV website, is it still a gamble which one I end up getting (e.g., H22 vs. H23 vs. H24)?

Yes, they will send you the one on the top of the pile. If you order from a vendor, you can get the model you want.

Thanks for all the helpful posts!

Jimbo - you're saying that the "original set up" (probably meaning my current SWM) covers 8 tuners. If that is correct, that would be great since all I ever wanted for the girl was an HD receiver and no DVR. I have whole-home so she can record stuff and watch it from one of the other DVRs anyways. I just wanted to make sure that an HD rec. will work (5 tuners Genie, 2 tuners HR24, 1 tuner new HD rec.).

Is there any upside of getting a mini Genie vs. an HD rec. ? I understand the one downside is that the mini Genie will take a tuner away from the Genie, and with 2 girls in the house that are hooked to their shows it could become an issue. Other than that I really don't know which one to choose.

?Thanks.
That is correct, and go with the HD Recvr, over the mini.
With the HD Recvr, your adding a tuner, vs with the Genie, your losing the function of a tuner, makes the genie 1 less available I guess is what I'm trying to say.

only difference between the mini and the hd box is going to be the mini will allow the kid to pause live tv where the hd box will not. She can still program either dvr to record something remotely and view both playlists. And you can sorta trick pause by recording the live program then starting it and you can pause it by playing back whats recorded. then delete the program after its over.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts