Need New Smartphone: Satellite Application

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cyberham

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Halfmoon Bay, British Columbia
My Blackberry died today. I must quickly get a new smartphone. I want a new one that can use the satellite application that allows you to hold the smartphone to the sky and see the virtual locations of the satellites on the smartphone screen. I know Ifone can do this; I think Android can also. My old Blackberry could not.

Any recommendations from a satellite user's point of view? I mainly email, text message, phone. I don't need it much for watching TV/video, listening to music.

Short list

I would only suggest that you look at these, and determine if they suit your needs.
I got a used iPhone about 18 months ago, and really enjoy it, but am not a fanboy.
The new 5S model will be out in about 30-45 days (best guess), but waiting for it probably won't work.
The top Android phones out now are Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC One.
If you like those, I'm sure either would be very satisfactory.
There are two more to consider if you are trying to save money.
Samsung Galaxy S3 continues to sell well against the new S4, but since it isn't the latest, is now much cheaper.
And the iPhone 5 will be price-reduced just as soon as the 5S hits the shelves in a month.
?

I've been an iPhone fan boy. However that GS4 sure does have a nice crisp screen.

How about the satellite app on Blackberry Q10? I know it doesn't work on my old Blackberry since it didn't have a motion function. I thought maybe the new Blackberrys could handle the sat app. Q10 is being offered by my provider (Bell) at a low price and sticking with Bell will keep my low monthly plan. I know RIM is history as a company. Though I will need to sign up for another 2 years, as with all providers to keep the new hardware cost minimal. My coworkers like the Q10 since we all know we type a lot.

look on craigslist local for a used phone, you can find one cheap, and most likely keep your old plan

Thanks for tip. In Canada, new phones are provided almost free as long as you sign up for 2 years. This is OK since I'll always need my "hip phone". This is for work so I don't want to monkey with somebody elses used troubles.

Thanks for tip. In Canada, new phones are provided almost free as long as you sign up for 2 years. This is OK since I'll always need my "hip phone". This is for work so I don't want to monkey with somebody elses used troubles.

they are in us too, but by getting used you avoid the contract and possible changes in a plan
its the only way I can keep my unlimited data

The new Blackberry OS10 devices such as the Z10 and the Q10 can run any Android application after converting the APK file. The following Youtube video explains how to do it:

Using the above procedure, some people on the CrackBerry discussion forum were successful in making the Android DishPointer app run on a Blackberry OS10 device.

http://forums.crackberry.com/androi...est-dishpointer-ar-pro-v2-0-emergency-837755/

As you are Canadian like me and our beloved Blackberry needs all the help it can get, I would suggest you get a new Blackberry OS10 device :)

Best regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada & US

Last edited by a moderator:
If you get iphone or Android, You will have to change plans.
Providers differentiate between Blackberry plans and others.
Think they route your data through Blackberry servers.
Used to be true of iPhone plans, too. Not sure today.
I configured my phone to talk to Apple servers to get iMessage working.
All the phones I listed above require you to type on the screen.
I've learned to use a stylus, and am quite satisfied.
Tried many, but only recommend this kind:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005AOKW8Q/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?qid=1377189559&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX110_SY165
edit: careful shopping can get you a very nice used phone, but it doesn't sound like you have time to come up to speed.

Last edited:
pwrsurge: Good to know about BB OS10. This makes it seem then I can be open to iOS, Android or even new BB. I support Canadian, if it deserves to be supported, not just because its Canadian. (I'm opposed to whole concept of CRTC controlling what we watch, for example).

I should have mentioned I used a BB Storm 9530 with screen typing for 4+ years. I've never actually used a physical keypad.

Since you want to use the sat app, does having a larger screen make the most sense?
Assuming the phone isn't too large for your pocket or hand, of course.
I think of the bunch, the Samsung Galaxy S4 is largest, and pretty sure it has best resolution.
I have personal experience with the iPhones, and lunch regularly with some carrying an S3, so I would probably lean toward an S4.
The one I know the least about is HTC One .
Visit your local phone shop and look at each.
Hold them. See if weight or size matter.
?.
...and don't take it home without a case & screen protector!
?(cheaper on Amazon)

I have used my Iphone 4 with Dishpointer app, for several years. There is a free version for Iphone and a $20 version. I think from trying the rest of apps, this app is the best. I can choose whichever sats I want in the database, and just hold up my phone in camera mode and it shows me the satellite arc with the sats I loaded. Very easy to use.

Galaxy 4S vs BB Q10...4S is looking sweet in side-by-side comparison. Only $120 more and seems like it would have best longevitty going forward. I like buying a little higher, but keeping longer. I have big paws. I could have been a pianist, if only I knew how to play a piano. A few extra grams or inches don't matter. I've never actually owned an Apple anything. No alliance there.

Tonight I watched an iFone commercial. The ad showed many examples of it being used. Every single example showed somebody looking at a video or an image (laughing as they looked...). It's obviously not meant for me when I mainly want to send email and do voice only calls (and look for satellites in the sky). Tomorrow I will go to the store to physically try the BB Q10 and Samsung Galaxy S4. Don't tell anybody I've already secretly decided on the S4. With a name like "Galaxy", how can I resist it? Thanks for feedback.

Since you like large, you might look at one additional Samsung product.
That would be their Note 2.
I'm not recommending, just suggesting you take a look.
I believe it is available with or without a special stylus that lets you draw on the screen.
No idea if it is useful for interacting with the sat app.
And, in the spirit of full disclosure, the Note 3 is just about to hit the shelves in the US.
That could either be an even more desirable phone, or cause bargain pricing on the Note 2! ;)
I still endorse your interest in the Galaxy S4, of course.
As for the iPhone commercial, it only showed a (small) fraction of what the device will do.
It wasn't comprehensive, nor geared toward you nor me. :)
And while I love mine and will soon replace it with a clean used 4S, I won't recommend an iPhone in this instance.
If thin, light, and a fit for a smaller hand were important, that would be a factor in considering a 5/5S. ;)

Found it from Telus provider only. Judging by display resolution (1280x720), it must be a little older. I discovered secret of this whole task is to select the correct provider for your needs. So I am dumping idea of using Big 3 providers (Bell, Telus, Rogers) and going with Koodo (owned by/uses Telus network) since I want a small plan. I tried a BB Q10 but its keypad is too tiny for my fingers/hands. Will go to Best Buy today to pick up Samsung Galaxy S4. Now, to begin task of figuring out how to import .bbb backup file into the new Samsung. Can't wait to see all those satellites on my screen over my backyard. I may realize why I couldn't get AMC21 after all those hours of trying.

Hello CYBERHAM
I got the HTC ONE phone about 4 months ago And I am very happy with it, this phone comes with 32G memory out the door and other phones comes with 16G in the memory, the battery last about a day and a bit more, very nice pictures, the back of is made of aluminum, to me is not that heavy.
go to you tube and check them out.
Regards.
Chewie

I agree with what you say. I think HTC One is a fine contender. It's got a little smaller display, a little earlier OS, a touch slower CPU, great talk time, great standby time, is a touch heavier, lower resolution camera than the Galaxy S4. But I can see one could be very happy with it. It turns out my chosen provider doesn't offer the HTC One.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)