Need Opinions for Best Choice in LNB for big C Band Mesh Dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 4, 2006
For a 12 foot C band mesh dish we are setting up: - I can purchase a BSC621-2C LNB for $59.00, or as lumpkin has recommended - buy a Chaparral Corotor II LNB which costs $100.00 more in my area.

Has anyone else done extensive testing on these or any other C / KU LNB's? Is the Corotor II LNB a better choice re digging out Sat Signals for this type of Mesh Dish? Or is it better suited for the Solid type of Fortec Star big Dishes? Any replies would be appreciated.

What sort of receiver were you going to use on C-band?

If I've read the forums correctly, you might need something like a Pansat 2800 or 3500 to control the corotator.
And maybe a Vbox to move the motor.

Unless you're going for a more traditional C-band receiver...
...which will do both jobs.

I like California Amplifier and Norsat LNB's. They tend to work the best and last the longest.

ok i will jump in and comment lol

What sort of receiver were you going to use on C-band
i will agree with this statement , what are you planning

you have a ku system in place are you planning on ading this into it or running seperate system all together ?

if just adding this c-band into your existing system then all you would need is a c-band lnbf.

if wanting a seperate system:
i like the combo c/ku lnbf and think when properly tuned it does a great job
i don't have mine totally set right but on some satellites i get a good - great ku signal on others either below threshold or right at threshold for my coolsat. so i know i need to do some more fine tuning ... but i think it will do a job close to that a properly tuned co-rotor will. this allows the dvb receiver to switch the polarity and will also accept future expansion of a v-box to control the big dish motor with the dvb receiver.

a co-rotor... this in my opinion is the best method when planning a 4dtv and planning on higher stability lnb's if you use lower end lnb's you will come out spending alot of money and get results around the single c/ku type lnbf. this type of setup requires a analog receiver to switch the polarity or a dvb receiver that supports this type of switching.

i can tell you from my experince lately on the v-box III i like it , i like being able to control the dish with the dvb receiver. i now only use the analog receiver to view feeds ( and for me its not that often, just scanning the skys or a stray game)

just a thought

The NorSat 8115 (C Band) and 4106A (Ku) along with the CoRotor II+ are my recommendations, if you`re looking for the best.

The NorSat 8115 (C Band) and 4106A (Ku) along with the CoRotor II+ are my recommendations, if you`re looking for the best.

Thanks very much for the replies Anole, tvropro, gabshere, and cspiteri. What I was planning to do was use the old Uniden 9900 Receiver with its 9900 36 Volt Power Supply that connects via a cable to the Receiver to power the actuator. Then to slave my Viewsat Rx to select channels on the dish re the attachment that I had with help from Tron on. See attachment.

Cspiteri, do the Norsat 8115 and 4106a, LNBs have to be separately Mounted? I'm looking for a combined C / KU LNB that I don't have to swap out, similar to my Invacom LNB on my existing Fortec Star 1 meter Dish.

Which brings up the Question: Can I use the Invacom LNB for my 12 Footer Dish??

Also maybe a dumb question : can the Norsats and the Corotor II LNBs all be mounted on the 12 footer at the same time with some kind of switch to choose which LNB I want to use??

Attachments

• Connecting Uniden and ViewSat Receivers for C and Ku Band to BUD Dish.doc
    126.5 KB · Views: 138
The NorSat LNB`s are separate units which mount to the CoRotor II+. Your receiver will select the proper LNB depending upon the satellite you choose (C or Ku).

The NorSat LNB`s are separate units which mount to the CoRotor II+. Your receiver will select the proper LNB depending upon the satellite you choose (C or Ku).

Thanks cspiteri, that would be great, re putting the CoRotor II and Norsats on the same Feedhorn. Also the FeedHorn that came with the system is a Chaparral FeedHorn (if that's what it is called) - so would this all be replaced and just connect the 4 arms on the Dish to the CoRotor II and Norsat(s) LNBs without needing to use my existing Chaparral FeedHorn and T Com 5000 LNB?

jsattv
if you can post a picture of the chap and the t com. ( sounds like a c band only ) and i'm not knocking that it might actually work out cheapest to keep that rig and test it to see if it will bring in a good strong signal. It might be possible to just unscrew the center feedhorn and slide it out of the scaler and slide the new one in. But it will be best to check for correct focal distance and string the dish to ensure your dish has the correct shape.

the norsats are good but come with a price.

jsattv
if you can post a picture of the chap and the t com. ( sounds like a c band only ) and i'm not knocking that it might actually work out cheapest to keep that rig and test it to see if it will bring in a good strong signal. It might be possible to just unscrew the center feedhorn and slide it out of the scaler and slide the new one in. But it will be best to check for correct focal distance and string the dish to ensure your dish has the correct shape.

Thanks gabshere, I will take some pictures tomorrow of the Chap and the T com and post them. You raise a good point because it looks like the ends of the 4 Poles that extend from the Dish to the FeedHorn are custom made for my existing Chap unit. That is, the ends of the 4 poles are NOT Flat, - they fit 4 screw type connections on the Chap Feedhorn. Will explain more when I take the pics.

Thanks gabshere, I will take some pictures tomorrow of the Chap and the T com and post them. You raise a good point because it looks like the ends of the 4 Poles that extend from the Dish to the FeedHorn are custom made for my existing Chap unit. That is, the ends of the 4 poles are NOT Flat, - they fit 4 screw type connections on the Chap Feedhorn. Will explain more when I take the pics.
Just a note on that one - to switch over to the BSC-style lnb, you'll probably have to change the scalar since the BSC is a tad larger than any of the corotors that I've had, and wont fit into the same scalar.

Just a note on that one - to switch over to the BSC-style lnb, you'll probably have to change the scalar since the BSC is a tad larger than any of the corotors that I've had, and wont fit into the same scalar.

Thanks Lumpkin666, sorry for the lack of knowledge but - what is a BSC -style LNB and scaler??

Thanks Lumpkin666, sorry for the lack of knowledge but - what is a BSC -style LNB and scaler??
By BSC-style, I'm simply referring to the BSC621, BSC621-2, and their c-band only counterparts.

The scalar is the part that connects to the legs coming from your dish. It's a circular disc-shaped thing with little rings inside it, and a big hole in the middle where the lnb/feed assembly slides in. Some older c-band lnb's have this piece as 1 single piece, where the scalar is perminently attached to the lnb, but most allow you to remove the lnb/feed assembly.

I'd read that you should be able to remove the feed assembly (the cylindrical tube with the lnb attached) from the scalar of a corotor setup and install one of the BSC621 LNBF (LNBF is simply the cylindrical tube AND the lnb fixed in one piece, as opposed to the older style setups that allowed you to remove the lnb portion from the cylindrical tube and update that portion easily). However, in my experience, that hole on the corotor scalars is not large enough for the BSC621 lnbf to slide into.

jsattv

Well as per gabshere's suggestions finally got the pictures of the LNB and Scaler? Looks like lumpkin666 may be right - I'm not so sure that my setup will fit the BSC 621 -2 or any of the new LNB's!

Please see attached with T Com LNB Top and Bottom views. Pic # 3 shows the only way I figure how the Pole Mounts to the LNB. The 4th Pic shows the existing Tee-Comm LNB which I guess is of no use now? The Last pic shows the back view of the LNB.

Do these pics limit my LNB setup to the Corotor II plus? Can the Corotor II plus be adapted to my setup?? Or what LNB can I use because of my Poles -which are NOT Flat at the end for the LNB??

Attachments

• DSC00629.JPG
    DSC00629.JPG
    249.1 KB · Views: 224
  • DSC00632.JPG
    DSC00632.JPG
    485.7 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC00634.JPG
    DSC00634.JPG
    370.2 KB · Views: 202
  • DSC00636.JPG
    DSC00636.JPG
    588.4 KB · Views: 214
  • DSC00638.JPG
    DSC00638.JPG
    267.7 KB · Views: 186
Can you take the LNB out of the scaler rings and measure the hole? I know my 621 and old LNB need a bigger hole to fit inside the scaler rings than my ASC421

Those arms to hold the lNB should still work fine. You might need some different screws to hold it together or when in doubt just drill new ones :)

Can you take the LNB out of the scaler rings and measure the hole? I know my 621 and old LNB need a bigger hole to fit inside the scaler rings than my ASC421

Those arms to hold the lNB should still work fine. You might need some different screws to hold it together or when in doubt just drill new ones :)

Thanks very much for the reply Iceberg. Yes there is a Bolt and Screw that is locking together the clamp / frame that holds the existing Chaparal unit with Tee-Com LNB. Looks like if I undo this Clamp the whole unit will fall out. Chaparal is stamped on the unit and underneath there is a plastic like Blue Cap that comes off and inside is a shaft with a kind of a hook at the end. The Frame is approx 6.5 inches in diameter.

Does this mean a Corotor II or BSC621 will work with this Frame for my existing Dish Poles?? Then I can get an LNB for this setup??

IceBerg, undid the 7/16 inch Bolt and Screw- (you can see it in my last pic) and the whole Chaparal & Tee-Com LNB unit fell out. Great stuff! That collar (which fits my Dish Poles) is 7 inches in diameter while the Chaparal & Tee-Com LNB unit are about 6.75 inches in diameter. Wonder what kind of options are available here? Can the Tee-Comm LNB Be replaced with another LNB: ie Norsat, Corotor II, or BSC621-2C?

Any replies would be very much appreciated.

Cspiteri, how would you set up separate LNB'son a Corotor II +? Does anyone have pictures?

The Corotor II is actually a feedhorn, not a LNB. There are mounts on the Corotor for both a C-Band LNB and a Ku-Band LNB. The LNBs bolt onto the Corotor II.

Here's a Corotor II...

COROTER C/KU FEEDHORN BY CHAPARAL - (eBay item 320163172194 end time Oct-26-07 11:16:37 PDT)

Thanks a lot Tron. Boy is that a big surprise, - so if I understand you, after purchasing a Corotor II I would still need to buy an LNB for it?? If that is the case then why couldn't I just somehow Unbolt my existing Tee-Comm LNB that is connected to my existing Chaparal unit and add a new type of LNB to it?? It does say Chaparal on it!!

Attachments

• DSC00629.JPG
    DSC00629.JPG
    249.1 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC00632.JPG
    DSC00632.JPG
    485.7 KB · Views: 174
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)