Need receiver with UHF-RF remote

kayle

Original poster
Mar 17, 2015
Southwest Florida
When I got a notice that my Model 4900 Dish receiver would need to be replaced I called Dish and was told I would be sent an equivalent receiver.

What I got was a model 311 receiver which is inferior to my 4900 in many ways.
icon_cry.gif

First, let me explain that I have five TVs scattered about the house which receive the Dish video and audio via a stereo modulator and coaxial distribution system.

When I became a Dish customer I paid extra for a 4900 receiver because I wanted one with a UHF-RF-type remote that works through walls so I could control the Dish receiver from any TV in the house.

But the 311-receiver only has a IR-remote control so I have to go down to my den every time I want to change a channel. This is particularly inconvenience when I'm in my bedroom.

Another gripe- when I wake in the mornings I turn on my bedroom TV to see the news. I often find that the 311 receiver has turned itself off during the night and only shows the "Dish" logo and "Press Select to watch TV". My old receiver never did this. And because my UHF-RF-remote won't work now I have to go down to the den to turn the receiver back on.
icon_mad.gif

Also the 311 only has one set of audio output jacks. My 4900 had two sets so it could feed both my stereo system in the den, and the stereo modulator that feeds the Dish signal to the other TVs in the house.

And finally, the transponder signal levels are much lower on the 311. My 4900 receiver got many transponders full-scale at "125" and nearly all were over "100". By comparison- the strongest transponder on the 311 is only "88" and most are much lower. While I'm getting all the channels ok right now I'm concern that in the summer rainy season here in Florida there won't be enough signal on rainy days. The 4900 had such strong signals that it would work in all but the heaviest rain storms.

I had a chat session with Dish today but didn't find the guy very helpful. He didn't seem to understand my need for a UHF-RF remote and directed me to a page of available receivers, none of which say they have a UHF-RF remote.
icon_e_sad.gif

Can anyone here recommend a current SD non-DVR receiver that has a UHF-RF remote?
Thanks much
icon_e_smile.gif

I answered you on the Dish main forum, but if you only have one receiver, see about getting a 322. It's a dual tuner non dvr. There is no cost for your primary receiver so you shouldn't see a bill change.

I answered you on the Dish main forum, but if you only have one receiver, see about getting a 322. It's a dual tuner non dvr. There is no cost for your primary receiver so you shouldn't see a bill change.
Thanks Chad. The dual-tuner receivers I've seen have two coaxes going to the dish. I'm not sure it will be compatible with my dish's electronics since it is a one-coax design.

Depending on the dish you have, the lnbs have one coax that comes off the dish and can feed two tuners. Would require a seperator and if using the duo portion, would require a set of diplexors. The install would come with a professional install.

Well, I don't think dual tuners would be of use to me so unless the 322 is better than the 311 in other ways I don't know if I would be gaining much by switching.

And do all Dish receivers now turn themselves off if they are not watched for a while? Is there any way to change this?

It would give you the uhf capability you want, but is essentially the same thing.

That is the inactivity standby. I forget how to turn it off on the 311, but it should be some thing like menu>settings> updates. Something like that. It might even say inactivity standby.

Kayle, if you INSIST on sticking w/a non-DVR or non-dual room receiver, here is a DISH IR-to-UHF upgrade kit...note however that it requires use of UHF Pro remotes. If you currently have multiple non-UHF Pro remotes scattered around your house, they would not work with this repeater:
http://www.skyvision.com/store/product266.html

Or, if you do not want to replace any/all your (non UHF Pro) remotes, go with these IR-to-UHF extender kits; of course, you would need additional transmitters for additional rooms you have remotes in &/or take to:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-D940-Re...540?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf55fde6c

(there's other brands like this out there, this was one of the first ones I found...)

The 322 would give you the uh capability as well as a 311 k since it's a repurposed 322 so it's got the uhf feature. The signal strength is no issue. It just SHOWS it different but you are still getting a really great signal. 88 is as high as you'll get on certain transponders.

Reactions: TheKrell
The 322 would give you the uh capability as well as a 311 k since it's a repurposed 322 so it's got the uhf feature. The signal strength is no issue. It just SHOWS it different but you are still getting a really great signal. 88 is as high as you'll get on certain transponders.

The 322 would seem to be the answer however I'm not sure it would be compatible with the electronics in my dish. Every two-tuner receiver I've seen has two coax cables and my dish is designed for one coax. Does anyone know if a 322 will work with a single-coax dish if only one tuner is used?

Last edited:
The 322 would seem to be the answer however I'm not sure it would be compatible with the electronics in my dish. Every two-tuner receiver I've seen has two coax cables and my dish is designed for one coax. Does anyone know if a 322 will work with a single-coax dish if only one tuner is used?

The old DishPro or legacy twin LNB assembly require one cable/tuner. But the newer DishPro PLUS works with one cable even to two receivers such as the 322. Dual tuner receivers ship with a splitter called a "separator", which splits the signal from one cable to the two tuners.

The question of the hour is... Which LNB do you have?

Reactions: KAB
The old DishPro or legacy twin LNB assembly require one cable/tuner. But the newer DishPro PLUS works with one cable even to two receivers such as the 322. Dual tuner receivers ship with a splitter called a "separator", which splits the signal from one cable to the two tuners.

The question of the hour is... Which LNB do you have?

I don't know, but it was installed in 2001 if that will give you a clue.

Go to menu 6-1-3. That will bring up system info. It should tell you the switch/LNb on there.
I don't see anything in this menu labeled "switch/LNB". Under "Device" it says "500 twin". Under "DNASP" it says "522 DshN09" and under "Hardware" it says "DMDJ-N".
Does any of this tell you?

Device would Be it. So you have a Dish500. That should offer one cable for two tuners. You would need a seperator at the receiver location though, which someone said the 322 comes with.

I thought about that, but did the duo switches even exist back in 2001?? Thought they came about in 2004/5. And the device is detecting a dish 500, so I'm wondering if there may have been a service call at some point and tbe dish got switched without notice.

Dish 500 Twin might means it's a Twin LNB. Remember the Twin's and Quad's for D500's? They're not DPP, just plain DishPro.

DISH Rumor Alert

Exemplary service from Dish!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts