Need recommendation on compatible EHD

Zookster

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
Here and Now
My dad, who is less than tech savy, would finally like to add an EHD to his Dish 622 receiver, but isn't sure what he should get. I thought there might be a list of compatible EHDs on Dish's Web site or maybe a stickied thread here.

He doesn't need a full TB, so I'm wondering if anyone here can recommend a good EHD in the 500-750 GB range that works well with Dish receivers. He's looking to spend < $100.

Thanks!

Western Digital...the majority choice. No Seagates unless you or he want to disable their sleep modes. Should be able to get a 500gb WD Elements or Essential for about $60 -70.00.

If you wait and research you can get a raw disk, 1 to 2 TB, for $60/TB, with 500GB a bit more per TB, now. Bought in a case it would be $10 more. This is the best I have seen in the several weeks. Look at dealmac.com (yes, I use a Mac) or sister site dealPC and Amazon and Newegg. Look for free shipping to keep the total price down and be a little patient. I have 3 brands of EHD plus 2 more raw on an external stand (~$20) SATA to USB, total 9 drives, no Seagates, most WD. You can use any 5400 or 7200 rpm, 8MB cache or preferably 16 or 32 MB.
-Ken

If you wait and research you can get a raw disk, 1 to 2 TB, for $60/TB, with 500GB a bit more per TB, now. Bought in a case it would be $10 more. This is the best I have seen in the several weeks. Look at dealmac.com (yes, I use a Mac) or sister site dealPC and Amazon and Newegg. Look for free shipping to keep the total price down and be a little patient. I have 3 brands of EHD plus 2 more raw on an external stand (~$20) SATA to USB, total 9 drives, no Seagates, most WD. You can use any 5400 or 7200 rpm, 8MB cache or preferably 16 or 32 MB.
-Ken
The gist of the OP was make if simple. Your thoughts are sound, but not easy for a non-tech like his father. In other words ...too much info.!!! I speak from experience with my father.

Last edited:
I agree re. the Western Digital. Got a 1TB before Xmas for $89 @ Walmart. Seems like the going price now is $99. Works great-plug & play.

Ed

My dad jumped on a 1 TB WD Elements for around $88 on Amazon today.
Yes, simple, plug and play is what he needed. Whenever I say "hard drive enclosure" he gets a blank look on his face.
Thanks again for the help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)