Need second receiver with Dish 500 system

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hy_tek

Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
Illinois
I have a dual LNB Dish 500 system on my roof. I presently have an older dish 4900 receiver that is being replaced by Dish with a HDTV capable one I am told. The old 4900 will not bring in all the cannels I purchased for some reason.

Ok my question is I have had the second feed from my dish outside run to my basement for future for a long time but never used it. I now want to add a second receiver to my system. I was thinking about buying a used receiver but don't really know what to get. I don't want to buy some obsolete receiver off Ebay by mistake. Can you suggest a model number for me to buy? I have one high def capable tv and one standard def. I am planning on using the new one dish is sending me for the high def tv so all I really need is a standard def receiver for my second tv or a cheaper HDTV capable receiver that I will just use for standard def. What do I need?

I have been out of the tech loop for awhile. Is my Dish 500 even capable of receiving High def or do I need a new dish as well?

you will recieve a new dish as well. Either a 1000.2 or 1000.4 depending if your set up on the eastern or western arc.

As for reciever recomendations. try to find a 301 or 311. the 381 is also a SD reciever but they had alot of issues. a 322 will also work but its made 2 power 2 tv's (you can easily hook up one tv if thats all you want). The HD recievers will work as well you jus twont get hd picture

Basically you can use the 301, 311, 381 (but not recomended), 322, 211(hd), 222(hd), 625(dvr) 612 (dvr-HD) 622 (dvr-HD) 722 (dvr-HD)

For you desires a 222/622/722 or 722K would be the best recommendations. All 4 are dual tuner receivers they have one output that is HDTV and one that is SDTV so 2 TV's can be run from one satellite receiver with independent channel selection at each TV. Call DISH and see if you can modify what you have coming.

Ok so from what I am reading I cannot get high def with my present Dish 500 system I need to get a different dish on my roof.

So in order to get my second tv set hooked to Dishnetwork I either need to get a single set receiver and use the second feed off my Dish 500 on the roof for the other tv....or get a dual channel receiver and run a cable between the 2 tv sets in the house and not even use the second feed from the dish. Is this correct?

I would find out what receiver they are upgrading you to for the HD. If is is VIP722 I would use the TV2 output to run your SD tv. This saves you a second receiver cost and monthly fee. You can watch independant programming on each tv and each tv gets its own remote. If you upgrade second tv to HDTV in the future, then you can buy a second reciever or get one from Dish through "Dish it Up" upgrade.

Also be very careful buying used receivers off Ebay. The Dish Store (link at top of page) has excellent prices on new receivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts