Need some advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bill wad

Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
washington
So I found this place and just need some quick advice, hopefully its in a ok section..

Here is the deal, we got a new Toshiba TV for the bedroom nothing fancy just a 32 inch. Anyway the DTV box in there was just a std non HD box, I hooked the co-ax to it and I get channels no HD of course, but I can't get the remote to bring up the menu or anything, I tried the codes but I can't get it to accept anything, nor run the TV. I was having trouble with the remote on and off btn not working so this is my suspect overall.

I call DTV after all the bs yes no questions I get a person nice gal, and tell her what was going on, either way I want to have a hd box in there for that TV. She tells me I can get the Genie which I don't need, I just want a reg HD box if it's even available anymore? Long story shor, I just want to watch some decent TV in the bedroom, I don't need to record 5 movies at a time on any of my sets. Thought was to move the HD receiver in the living room to the bedroom and hook up the Genie in the living room. She told me it would cost nothing, then I got cut off, odd.. Second guy I talked to said it would be 200 bucks to get set up.

Thoughts and advice would be great! Thanks.

So I found this place and just need some quick advice, hopefully its in a ok section..

Here is the deal, we got a new Toshiba TV for the bedroom nothing fancy just a 32 inch. Anyway the DTV box in there was just a std non HD box, I hooked the co-ax to it and I get channels no HD of course, but I can't get the remote to bring up the menu or anything, I tried the codes but I can't get it to accept anything, nor run the TV. I was having trouble with the remote on and off btn not working so this is my suspect overall.

I call DTV after all the bs yes no questions I get a person nice gal, and tell her what was going on, either way I want to have a hd box in there for that TV. She tells me I can get the Genie which I don't need, I just want a reg HD box if it's even available anymore? Long story shor, I just want to watch some decent TV in the bedroom, I don't need to record 5 movies at a time on any of my sets. Thought was to move the HD receiver in the living room to the bedroom and hook up the Genie in the living room. She told me it would cost nothing, then I got cut off, odd.. Second guy I talked to said it would be 200 bucks to get set up.

Thoughts and advice would be great! Thanks.

Alot of the "Deals" you get offered, relate to your previous history with them, pay bill on time, nothing late, package you have ect.
I would call back if you want that offer, usually they put notes on your account about offers made, have them check and see if it's listed.

What was funny is she looked at our account and said "wow" I said excuse me, she went on to say and couldn't believe that we get a free Genie upgrade with a added cost of 11 bucks and free install to the current system. Move the livingroom HD box to the bedroom all done. I said whats the catch several times, she says no catch. I'm like there is always a catch. FWIW I am in sales. So I ask her again several times and she says the same, I told her to go ahead and schedule me, a minute or 2 passes as she getting me set, bang the phone clicks and shes gone. I am thinking chit, so I call back and go through the process again. This time I get a guy at the same place, SE Idaho. I explain to him what she told me and he comes back with, she was wrong. It's going to cost me 199 bucks plus to get the new Genie all set up. I come back with this is BS. Downfall was my showroom was getting busy and I would have to call him back. I was not very pleased, I have been with them quite awhile.

I am just looking to up grade the box in the bedroom to a HD box, I don't want to shell out more money for something I really don't need, which I think being able to record 5 shows at once is stupid as all heck anyway. Thanks for the reply, I am going to have the wife call them and see where we go with this. I love DTV but I knew there had to be a catch, I honestly think the gal screwed up by telling me that and hung up on me, no proof but it seemed odd that the line just went dead??

What was funny is she looked at our account and said "wow" I said excuse me, she went on to say and couldn't believe that we get a free Genie upgrade with a added cost of 11 bucks and free install to the current system. Move the livingroom HD box to the bedroom all done. I said whats the catch several times, she says no catch. I'm like there is always a catch. FWIW I am in sales. So I ask her again several times and she says the same, I told her to go ahead and schedule me, a minute or 2 passes as she getting me set, bang the phone clicks and shes gone. I am thinking chit, so I call back and go through the process again. This time I get a guy at the same place, SE Idaho. I explain to him what she told me and he comes back with, she was wrong. It's going to cost me 199 bucks plus to get the new Genie all set up. I come back with this is BS. Downfall was my showroom was getting busy and I would have to call him back. I was not very pleased, I have been with them quite awhile.

I am just looking to up grade the box in the bedroom to a HD box, I don't want to shell out more money for something I really don't need, which I think being able to record 5 shows at once is stupid as all heck anyway. Thanks for the reply, I am going to have the wife call them and see where we go with this. I love DTV but I knew there had to be a catch, I honestly think the gal screwed up by telling me that and hung up on me, no proof but it seemed odd that the line just went dead??

2 things you will want to do, first, go online to your D* account and look to see what they are offering you when you go into add a recvr that way, they will often offer you upgrades online and most don't check so they don't see the offers.

Once you see what the online offer is, if there is one, call back, tell them you would like a new HD recvr, if you want a DVR, I would suggest the HR24, IF they will send you one out, but they cannot tell you what you will get recvr wise other than it being a DVR if thats what you ask for.
They are pushing the HR34 (Genie) because it's thier newest one.

Typically a HD recvr will cost you $ 100, A HD DVR $199 and a Genie will be more, but there are specials going on with them.

One other thing you could do is call Claude here on the site (Dishstore) and see what he has in stock, this way you get exactly what you want recvr wise and then do the install yourself.
This of course will work IF you have a Slimline Dish already, if you don't I would recommend getting D* to handle it as they will cover the cost of the new dish ...

Thank you for the info! I am pretty sure I have a slimline dish already? I will see what I can find out in the am. Once again thanks for the info!

Thank you for the info! I am pretty sure I have a slimline dish already? I will see what I can find out in the am. Once again thanks for the info!
NP, thats what were here for. :)

You can look in your Menu section to verify what Dish you have.

Menu/Settings/Info and Test/More System Info

Scroll down to Dish Type

My 2 cents. I called Direct tv yesterday to see what the cost of a Genie would be. Boy did I get a deal!!! Genie receiver, HD dvr to the bedroom Whole house drv service and internet media service. Had to renew the contract for 2 more years. Cost $49 install fee and addition $3 month whole home dvr service.

Direct Tv installer just left. What a great setup.

If I was you I would call again.

I ended up calling again and got a different person that was well a bit more honest and not trying to make the hard sale. Being in sales myself I hate that!

I got the HDDVR for free, less shipping, install free, move the current box to the B,room and the HDDVR hooked up in the living room. Win win situation. Anyway I belong to a few other forums (not this type) but will check in here from time to time if I need info! Thanks again and Happy New year to all!!

I ended up calling again and got a different person that was well a bit more honest and not trying to make the hard sale. Being in sales myself I hate that!

I got the HDDVR for free, less shipping, install free, move the current box to the B,room and the HDDVR hooked up in the living room. Win win situation. Anyway I belong to a few other forums (not this type) but will check in here from time to time if I need info! Thanks again and Happy New year to all!!

Glad to see you got what you wanted !

Btw, what recvr model did you get, or do you not know yet ?

Keep us updated on your progress and don't be a Stranger.

Glad to see you got what you wanted !

Btw, what recvr model did you get, or do you not know yet ?

Keep us updated on your progress and don't be a Stranger.

It was just the HDDVR they offer, othing fancy. Before I called I was on line in my account and clicked on just the std HD box, 99 bucks, then I clicked on the HDDVR one and it said free. I clicked add to cart for self install but thought I would call them. She said they had to do it. :roll: anyway it worked out. Will see in the long run? Been reading that thread on a price increase, but thats another story.

I honetly hate these satellite monopolys, they have the masses over a barrel. Fee's, state taxes, 500+ channels but most are pretty much garbage channels. What are you suppose to do? Antenna I guess.. Can't wait to see what the future brings LOL

My 2 cents. I called Direct tv yesterday to see what the cost of a Genie would be. Boy did I get a deal!!! Genie receiver, HD dvr to the bedroom Whole house drv service and internet media service. Had to renew the contract for 2 more years. Cost $49 install fee and addition $3 month whole home dvr service.

Direct Tv installer just left. What a great setup.

If I was you I would call again.

Congrats to you both on getting what you wanted and enjoy and Happy New Year to everyone :)

It was just the HDDVR they offer, othing fancy. Before I called I was on line in my account and clicked on just the std HD box, 99 bucks, then I clicked on the HDDVR one and it said free. I clicked add to cart for self install but thought I would call them. She said they had to do it. :roll: anyway it worked out. Will see in the long run? Been reading that thread on a price increase, but thats another story.

I honetly hate these satellite monopolys, they have the masses over a barrel. Fee's, state taxes, 500+ channels but most are pretty much garbage channels. What are you suppose to do? Antenna I guess.. Can't wait to see what the future brings LOL

Monopoly in Sat industry ?
Theres only 2 providers, you have your choice and NO ONE made you get into Sat.

Who ever said there was 500+ channels ?

D* website shows 285, many of them I think are music channels, in my opinion, shouldn't be considered TV channels.

Monopoly in Sat industry ?
Theres only 2 providers, you have your choice and NO ONE made you get into Sat.

Who ever said there was 500+ channels ?

D* website shows 285, many of them I think are music channels, in my opinion, shouldn't be considered TV channels.

So true and no one forced anyone into satellite :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)