need some advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

frankieromance

Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
i live in long island and have had it with IO OPTIMUM CABLE! i would go with dish tv but they dont have the YES channel. so now i guess i will have to go with direct tv with the tivo option. can someone tell me if their direct tv with tivo experiences have been good so far? should i go with this tivo r-15 option? i was reading the forums and people have said tivo is getting phased out. what should i do? thank you.

the r-15 is the new Directv DVR that doesnt have Tivo. Directv tivos are great but will not include many of the new features coming out like interactive and VOD type stuff. Go with the r-15 it is a great DVR and is very similar to the tivo

what is the difference btw these:

DIRECTV R15 2-Room 100 Hours DIRECTV Plus DVR Satellite TV System (1) R15 (1) D11 with Triple LNB Dish & Standard Installation

DIRECTV 2-Room R15 100 Hour DIRECTV DVR System (2) R15 DIRECTV DVR Receivers with Triple LNB Dish, Multi-Switch & Standard Installation

according to the rapid sattelite website Shappy, these r-15's come with the tivo option. i do not see any r-15's without it. i believe those are the d-11's.

Stay away from Rapid Satellite (aka Webclick Concepts)! I have had a few friends get ripped by them. Very rude as well. I beleive 100% these are one of the main players that got DirecTV into the settlement trouble a while back. Most of the DirecTV complaints of this nature are due to BAD partners/resellers like these guys. BUY FROM ValueElectronics.com (no, I do not work for Robert)

Read this from the BBB.

Customer Issues

When evaluating complaint information, please consider the company's size and volume of business. The number of complaints filed against the company may not be as important as the type of complaints and how the company handled them. The Bureau processed a total of 270 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total 270 complaints in the last 36 months, 121 of those were closed in the last 12 months.

Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record - A company has an "unsatisfactory business performance record" with the Bureau is based on the experiences reflected in BBB files. This file condition results when the company has failed to resolve or respond to complaints, repeatedly failed to respond or resolve issues in a timely manner, failed to resolve the underlying issues for a pattern.

BBB Definition:

Pattern - More than 2 complaints involving the same allegations usually within 12 months that are significant in relation to the company's size and volume of business.

Of complaints, they failed to honor their commitment to mediate or arbitrate disputes or honor mediated agreements or arbitrated decisions, failed to substantiate, modify or discontinue false advertising claims that are challenged by the BBB, or failed to discontinue unauthorized use of the BBB name and logo, a Federally protected trademark.

With the Bureau due to failure to respond to two or more complaints.

Service issues.

The Bureau processed a total of 11 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total of 11 complaints closed in 36 months, 10 were closed in the last year.

These complaints concerned:

Advertising Issues - Claims alleging print or electronic media advertised claims or practices misrepresent the service or product offer.

Delivery Issues - Claims alleging delayed delivery of ordered merchandise.

Refund or Exchange Issues - Claims of alleged failure to honor company policy or verbal commitment to provide refunds, exchanges, or credit for products or services.

Contract Issues - Claims of alleged failure to honor contract or agreement, work performed without authorization, or invalid contract.

Customer Service Issues - Claims of alleged delay in completing service, failure to provide promised service, inferior quality of provided service, or damaged merchandise as a result of delivery service.

Claims alleging unsatisfactory customer service, including personnel's failure to provide assistance in a timely manner, failure to address or respond to customer dissatisfaction, unavailability for customer support, and/or inappropriate behavior or attitude exhibited by company staff.

Billing or Collection Issues - Claims alleging billing errors, unauthorized charges, or questionable collection practices.

They were closed as:
No Response - The company failed to respond to the complaint.
Company failed to respond to the BBB or to the consumers to resolve the issues.

Last edited:
so shappy are u saying that the tivo is an additional box to the dvr? if so, then why would someone want tivo when u are getting a dvr box? doesnt the dvr box do the samething as the tivo would do?

so are u saying that tivo is a waste of money? basically i just want to tape movies, with the capability to tape while i am watching another movie at the same time. can u the r-15 do this?

frankieromance said:
so are u saying that tivo is a waste of money? basically i just want to tape movies, with the capability to tape while i am watching another movie at the same time. can u the r-15 do this?

The R-15 is a nice unit and will be made better over time. You can tape a program while watching another or tape 2 at the same time or tape 2 at the same time while watching something that's saved to the hard drive.

Roger said:
The R-15 is a nice unit and will be made better over time. You can tape a program while watching another or tape 2 at the same time or tape 2 at the same time while watching something that's saved to the hard drive.

I agree with Roger here. TiVo made the big marketing name and people buy into they HAVE to have something with the TiVo name on it. Either would be a good selection, there is no must have feature that one has the others don't; except maybe network sharing, but pick the best deal for you. I have 3 DVR units in the house and one on a PCTV, so I don't need to watch and record on the same TV at once. All 3 are also network shared so I can pull programs for one to the other and watch them where ever I want.

Status
Please reply by conversation.