Need some expert voomers, doing the install right now

monetteboy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 27, 2004
Hi guys,

The installer just got here, started of by telling me how voom was bad and they only had 30 channels. I didn't even bother explaining to him. We are doing a 2 room install, he is saying that there will be two runs from the dish to each reciever, should they put in a mulitplexer/switch(think thats what you call it) ??

Just getting worried as this guy said this is his 2nd voom install and he has never done one with 2 rooms.

I will keep you posted

thanks for any tips

If the dish comes with a dual LNB (the thing that sticks out in front of the dish) it has 2 connections for a cable to EACH receiver ( 2 cables total). No need for a multiswitch.

And yes, I would recommend two coax cables to each receiver (one from the LNB, another one from the OTA antenna). Avoid the diplexor if you can!

Ok good deal...now what happens if later when you want to add more recievers?

Thanks for the info, when talking with voom csr a few weeks ago she said it was only a single LNB, thats the reason I was concerned. Good deal. The installer is still outside putting the dish together, I can't wait.

My installer also had a negative tone about Voom... He kept mentioning that Voom doesn't have ESPN. I told him I wasn't concerned about ESPN and that I chose Voom because of their HD offerings. It became obvious that this guy had very little experience with HD and he wasn't impressed. He even gave me the wrong type of DVI cable and told me that DVI was worse than component video. I just bit my tongue and let him finish his work. In the end there weren't any problems with the install except the DVI cable, but I kind of wondered how the people up at Voom would feel to know that they are paying somebody to talk bad about Voom and give out inaccurate information.

yeah this guy is still here its been over 4 hours. Still no signal. He installed the dish on my deck , now he says he is going to have to put it on the roof. I never expected it to take this long. Then after I asked him not to use the diplexers he did it anyway. I really don't care, its low enough even where on the roof I can just rerun the coax the way I want after he leaves.

Of course it didn't help that they forgot the remote, forget the cables that came with it, and voom didn't send a 2nd ota module for the reciever. So you know.

Can you verify if he is looking for the satellite in the right direction at least approximately? Some installers forget that it is a 61.5 bird...
Is he using a signal meter?

Do you have at least one remote? I wonder how easy it would be to get to the tune-up screen without a remote?

yeah he has signal meter and was using a compass. The backyard faces south, my dish 500 is pointed somewhat to the right, he is pointing voom towards the left. He said it was b/c the deck was too low. At one point he did get the signal meter on voom to get about 7, not sure if thats just interference or if it could actually pull just a small amount of signal.

????????? Have these installers ever pointed a dish at 61.5w??????? It takes about two seconds to find that satellite if you know where to point! I use a view finder to "see" the satellite, he had the right idea about the deck but its a very very basic mistake to put a dish some place where they cant see the satellite, sorry! Signal meter is good.......SBCA 1+2 and a license is BETTER : )

Ilya said:
Do you have at least one remote? I wonder how easy it would be to get to the tune-up screen without a remote?

That does seem like it'd be a big problem.

ok i have a feeling this is not good either. He says he can only get a signal of 40. He is stopping there saying that he was told 50-60 was the best you could get b/c the sat is low powered. I remember reading on the board that the signal bar changed after an update, I don't know what version I am running.

Edit: He did some more playing and got a signal locked at 50. I assume this is ok??

50 is still kinda low (try to get 60), though it is enough to get the box authorization hit. You are most likely on version 5.08.

Ilya said:

My installer didn't use the tune-up screen. He also forgot the remote and the OTA antenna, which he delivered the next day. He just said the satellite icon on the Voom box was the right color. I maxed the signal with a BirDog after he left.

Ilya said:
Then they will add that multiswitch. You will never need the diplexor though...

Edit: In case you are wondering, here are the wiring diagrams for 2, 3 and 4 receivers:

http://www.installs.com/docs/voom-2rcvr.pdf
http://www.installs.com/docs/voom-3rcvr.pdf
http://www.installs.com/docs/voom-4rcvr.pdf

I'm having my Voom installed tomorrow. (2nd attempt because they needed to come back with a bigger ladder!) I am opting for the 2 room install. What exactly is a "Power Pass Split" in the 2rcvr example here? Is it just a simple coax splitter? My installer (from the first install attempt last week) was trying to tell me that the "Power Pass Split" in this diagram was the diplexer and that is why he needed to use it! I kept insisting that he not use the diplexer and just run the 2 satellite and 1 OTA line into my house. He eventually caved in, but then realized he couldn't do the install because his ladder wasn't tall enough. Now I have 2 different guys coming out tomorrow that I have to convince again that I don't want the OTA antenna line diplexed because I am on the fringe of receiving CBS out here and I don't want anything to cut down on the signal's power! :no

I had an install last friday. I only got 50-60 and was told that was as good as it gets. When you go to the actual channels and do the signal for that it is like 98.

The installer told me they don't put the diplexer inside anymore, they just split it inside. This guy was the Installs, Inc QA guy for Atlanta. Took him a while too, he had to fish a wall. Also, once hooked up it took 20 minutes to dl the new software. Don't turn it off during this time or you have to start over again. Good luck.

leave the stb off when you go to bed it should download the upgrade or you can force it to now but since no remote why bother..make sure to call installs inc and get pissed about the installer forgeting all the stuff you need..it just ads extra $$ for voom for a second trip..

My installer also went to antennaweb.org and got the compass heading from my house to get an idea which way to point the stealth.

Its sad that these installers cant point a dish ( up-down/left-right ) I mean its not that hard, I use the Channel Master 1009 IFD to point and find my satellites, then I use my digisat II to peak it in by ear to get the MAX signal : )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts