Need some help in choosing an antenna

blanquitoman1984

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Fontana, CA
To start off let me tell you that I know very little about choosing an antenna. That is why I have included the information from TV fool. I am trying to get as many stations in as possible but while trying to stay under $75. I have looked around in the other posts and there are two antenna's that fall in that price range and overall has good reviews. I have seen some big one's on the Walmart website two look big but I just don't know if it will do the job. Can someone please guide me in the right direction. Antenna will be on the roof about 15ft up.

In advance
Thank You

These are the antenna's:

Antennas Direct 91XG
Winegard HD9095P

From Walmart:

Channel Master 2020 DIGITAL ADVANTAGE
Channel Master 2016 DIGITAL ADVANTAGE

Attachments

• Radar-All.png
    Radar-All.png
    67.6 KB · Views: 225
Thank you for the suggestions Looks like maybe the one's that I was looking at was overkill. As far a pointing the antenna. This may sound funny but which end points where to get the most channels.

The CM 2020 antenna you mentioned earlier is well suited to your situation. Neither the Metrostar nor the cheap, Chinese-made "Heartland America" antenna has enough capture area to pull down the L.A. VHF broadcasts carrying ABC, Fox, MyNet and KCAL reliably, and both of these "antennas" are seriously over-amplified. The rotor on the "Heartland America" has a bad reputation for breaking a few months after it's mounted, as literally hundreds of online posters have attested. Quite frankly, it's junk.

You won't need any amplifier at all if you:

• Mount a CM 2020 high above your roof as planned,

• Plan to use it with only one TV, and

• The cable leading from the antenna to the TV receiver won't be longer than about 75 feet.

In case you're still interested in good alternatives to the 2020, have a look at Winegard's HD-7694 or AntennaCraft's HBU33. Each antenna is roughly similar in terms of both price and performance.

Now as far as pointing the antenna how do I do that which end goes where. In my neighborhood I have seen both ends of the antennas pointing towards the mountains (that's where the antenna's are). Which end is the right end?

CM-2020.jpg

Think of the antenna as a kind of "scoop" for gathering signals. This CM 2020 is aimed as if the desired signals are coming in from the top right of the image, so you would point this end of the antenna at Mount Wilson to get the L.A. stations.

As for the mis-aiming you've observed, pointing an antenna in the opposite of the desired direction is a very common error. It can also happen when wind knocks the antenna off the correct aim. (A lot of antennas look like this now because they're neglected, as most of their owners started getting cable or satellite service long ago.)

Now as far as pointing the antenna how do I do that which end goes where. In my neighborhood I have seen both ends of the antennas pointing towards the mountains (that's where the antenna's are). Which end is the right end?
In the photo above, the front of the antenna is the right side. The left side is the back of the antenna.

Is this company reputable, have you had good experiences with this company or maybe even with buying antennas from this site. Why are the antenna's so cheap, are they a no name brand?
They are an overstock, refurbished and closeout goods seller. I have bought from them and they seem to be reputable, but have not bought antennas from them. The reviews I read were on their site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts