Need some Multiswitch advice please

Status
Please reply by conversation.

riggscm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Hey everyone...
I need some advice here.

I got a friend that is considering making the switch from Comcrap to D*. He needs to hook up a total of 9 TV's. 3 of which need to be DVR's. The problem I am up against it trying to find a multiswitch solution for this guy.

I know you can get 5X12's and 5x16's but they are pricey! What is the best, and most economical way of getting this done??

If he is a new customer order from D* he will have to pay for some of his receivers because they only do 4TVs as a promotion but he will need a WB616 multiswitch.

The Spaun multiswitches are pricey, but the Zinwells have been coming down. Two WB68s plus 4 splitters should be less. If all the receivers are ordered as part of the initial installation, Directv will probably provide whatever is needed at no additional cost.

If you order new for 12 lines (9 rec) D* will supply the WB616 multiswitch if he is going HDDVR and cant run second lines a stacked SWM8 system would be better suited but he would be out of pocket and have to order himself the components needed. Either way he will be out of pocket for something. Make sure he sets it up as a AM job as it will more than likely take all day.. at least an hour to 2 hours alone just for setting the rec's up.

If you order new for 12 lines (9 rec) D* will supply the WB616 multiswitch if he is going HDDVR and cant run second lines a stacked SWM8 system would be better suited but he would be out of pocket and have to order himself the components needed. Either way he will be out of pocket for something. Make sure he sets it up as a AM job as it will more than likely take all day.. at least an hour to 2 hours alone just for setting the rec's up.
everything he said

About one year ago, I got my 3rd HD-DVR which put me at 9 outputs needed. After several discussions with D*, I was able to get them to install a 6X16 Zinwell for free.

You could just use splitters. Lightning blew up my multi-switch before and I just used splitters in its place and everything worked fine. It was a 2 in 3 out plain old 8-900mhz splitter. When the installer came, he argued with me that there was no way I could be getting all my channels. I just laughed and said whatever. :rolleyes:

You could just use a 3x4 multi-switch and use splitters to get all 9. You'd probably want to go with satellite grade splitters.

You could just use splitters. Lightning blew up my multi-switch before and I just used splitters in its place and everything worked fine. It was a 2 in 3 out plain old 8-900mhz splitter. When the installer came, he argued with me that there was no way I could be getting all my channels. I just laughed and said whatever. :rolleyes:

You could just use a 3x4 multi-switch and use splitters to get all 9. You'd probably want to go with satellite grade splitters.

No you can't ....
You can do this if you are only watching ONE TV.
If you are using more than one TV the rec's will lock up as soon as one rec needs somethig that requires 18v and the other requires 13v.
Thats with a Satellite splitter.
You cannot use a common everyday cable splitter at all, at least after you change the initial channel, frequencies are different.
No basic splitters in a D* line between the dish and rec's.

Jimbo

If you do use a regular everyday splitter and it happens to pass DC on both legs, you have a possibility of damaging the switching circuitry. Why? Because you'd be shorting the 13v and 18v switching circuits.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)