Need thoughts on SuddenLink...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Pere845

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 12, 2018
Boise, Idaho
My mom is moving to Amarillo and is conflicted on whether to get Satellite and internet through AT&T or do a triple play with Suddenlink. I myself would go back to cable as a last resort (Very happy with Satellite) but I would like some thoughts from any SuddenLink subs out there.

I am in Lubbock about 120 miles south of Amarillo and I am about to complete a 2 year contract with att for sat and internet. After having suddenlink for a couple years. First thing I would suggest is forget the phone on the triple play unless she just absolutely has to have a "landline".
At&t offers more channels for a similar price, although all the basic ones are still with suddenlink (the difference for me was espnu on suddenlink required a "sports package"). Just make sure all her favorites are on the packages being compared. My deal with at&t gave me unlimited data, while suddenlink was capped at 300gb.
Service, reliability was about the same on both. Amarillo gets more snow so she might be sweeping the dish off sometimes, but that package of at&t allows you to stream the bulk of the channels from directv.
Back to the phone, if she does need a "landline" she could get a home based cell phone. It is a box (you can get one at walmart) that connects to the local cell tower. You plug your phone into it after set up and it is just like having a landline but you are using the cell tower. I set one up for my mother and it is $15 + tax per month. Unlimited minutes and with nationwide toll free. The box has a backup battery, in case of blackouts. Just make sure the phone being plugged in to it also has battery back up and all should be good. The phone at suddenlink says about $15 or $16 per month but by the time you add the phone fees, etc. it is closer to $21/month.

Just get something like Magic Jack ( what we have), $35 a year, hooks into your router, instant landline, you can even port over your old phone number.

Reactions: andy_horton
I have MagicJack for my family's "landline". The reason I did not recommend is it does not offer the battery backup that a home base cell phone box has. My family has multiple cell phones so a landline is not critical thus we use the magicJack for those instances where a landline is more prudent. It really gets down to how much tech knowledge his mom has and whether she is a bit of a nervous nelly or not.

Suddenlink is a bottom feeder, even by cable standards. Whatever the least customer serving option is, that is what it will do. Providing the absolute least for the money as possible. Stay far away.

I lived in Southeast Ohio, granted about 8-10 yrs ago. Suddenlink ran complete analog yet all avail HD channels, and I received Huntington/Charleston WV locals, Parkersburg WV locals, and at that time Columbus OH ABC and FOX was beamed through microwave. The techs were nice and knowledgeable, however the equipment was outdated. The tech went through 4 old style Scientific Atlanta DVR boxes before one worked. Somehow they passed through the refurb process. Needless to say I went back to DISH at thst time before becoming a cord cutter. DISH blew them out of the water EXCEPT in Ohio, (was easy for me to sweep snow off..dish was on my deck) we did get lots of ice and snow. Ku band signals do horrible in icy weather..snow is easier to handle especially if it's more of a dry nature. I enjoyed Suddenlink, but found DISH fit my needs better and everybody elses equipment is light yrs ahead. They did not offer net or phone then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)