Need to extend USB for Hopper3 OTA dongle

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Floyd R Turbo-American

Original poster
Jul 12, 2018
Angola, IN
Hopefully, someone has already tried something like this -

I have a homeowner that remodeled his house, and the AV contractor he used only ran ONE RG6 to the location we need to use for the Hopper3 from the AV distribution point. He wants to use the Dish Dual OTA tuner dongle for local channels - no extra coax between dist point & Hopper3. He does have ONE Cat5e running between the two points needed. Walls are sealed up & SO does not want any new holes drilled in or outside..

Has anybody tried using a USB to Cat5e extender in this type of situation? Distance is about 45 feet. Would be amazing if it would work. I know it is supposed to based on USB 2.0, but am worried about how much current/voltage drop if I used a passive device. ANY help would be greatly appreciated - Thanks!

Hopefully, someone has already tried something like this -

I have a homeowner that remodeled his house, and the AV contractor he used only ran ONE RG6 to the location we need to use for the Hopper3 from the AV distribution point. He wants to use the Dish Dual OTA tuner dongle for local channels - no extra coax between dist point & Hopper3. He does have ONE Cat5e running between the two points needed. Walls are sealed up & SO does not want any new holes drilled in or outside..

Has anybody tried using a USB to Cat5e extender in this type of situation? Distance is about 45 feet. Would be amazing if it would work. I know it is supposed to based on USB 2.0, but am worried about how much current/voltage drop if I used a passive device. ANY help would be greatly appreciated - Thanks!

PS - I forgot to be specific: i want to mount the OTA dongle in the AV distribution box, extending (hopefully!) the USB thru the Cat5e running to the Hopper Location.

I know it is supposed to based on USB 2.0, but am worried about how much current/voltage drop if I used a passive device. ANY help would be greatly appreciated - Thanks!

Have you considered an active repeater. Monoprice has some reasonably priced ones and I've used a 50' one for a scanner hookup with no performance issues.
Monoprice USB-A to USB-A Female 2.0 Extension Cable - Active, 28/24AWG, Repeater, Kinect & PS3 Move Compatible, Black, 32ft - Monoprice.com

I just used Muxlab 500302-2PK CATV Balun II in a similar situation and they worked perfectly, got off Amazon for $70

Did you run the signal thru your router/LAN with all other network traffic or did you run a separate ethernet cable just for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)