Need to find out if I can get Dish Network

rayf937

Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Scranton
I live in New Jersey and have a house in Scranton. I have dish network at the house in Scranton with no problems, had the tech come in and set it up. Everything works great. The house in New Jersey is surrounded by trees and a technician already came out last year and said he couldn't find a strong enough signal. I don't think he really checked too hard.
But I still want to get dish network here and there are some spots where I might be able to get a clear shot. I have a rough idea of the position of the satellites but they where different than where the technician was looking. I have been looking at 110W and 61.5W. I believe those are the two I would need here, but I'm not completely sure.

So my questions are
A. Which satellites should I be looking for? (i have a program called dish pointer on my phone so i use that and a compass)
B. How far from the receiver can the dish be?

On the western arc the programming is on three satellites at 110/119/129W, and on the eastern arc, the programming is on three satellites at 61.5/72.7/77W. The eastern arc satellites would be higher in elevation for you and if you are surrounded by trees, maybe a better bet.

Distance can be a couple hundred feet.

You need a tech with a little imagination. 61.5, 72.7 and 77 are most desireable, but if you can't get 77, 100/119 will serve. In my case, I have one dish for 61.5 looking through an opening from my garage, 75 feet from the house, another dish in a different location on the garage for 72.7 and a dish on my house for 110/119. I have no location for LOS to 77. It took a second call to the techs to get a tech who could figure it all out.

You need a tech with a little imagination. 61.5, 72.7 and 77 are most desireable, but if you can't get 77, 100/119 will serve. In my case, I have one dish for 61.5 looking through an opening from my garage, 75 feet from the house, another dish in a different location on the garage for 72.7 and a dish on my house for 110/119. I have no location for LOS to 77. It took a second call to the techs to get a tech who could figure it all out.
correct.
However, itis highly likely the tech will NOT be paid for the extra work( additional dish(es) trenching/materials) so most techs will walk. Can't say I blame them.
Customers can thank Dish for that nonsense

correct.
However, itis highly likely the tech will NOT be paid for the extra work( additional dish(es) trenching/materials) so most techs will walk. Can't say I blame them.
Customers can thank Dish for that nonsense

I have aerial wires from my garage to the house and the second Dish tech was happy to do the job. His attitude was "to get the new HD channels for the customer". The first one had only been instructed to do EA per the service order, was running late and did not wan't to climb to the peaked roof of a 2 story garage. That problem was solved by a call back to the tech number. I used the phone number that Scott posted in the thread about getting the new HD. After the job was completed, a supervisor came out and photographed the setup. What is the purpose of the negativity?

Last edited:
I have aerial wires from my garage to the house and the Dish techs were happy to do the job. Their attitude was "to get the new HD channels for the customer". I used the phone number that Scott posted in the thread about getting the new HD. After the job was completed, a supervisor came out and photographed the setup. What is the purpose of the negativity?

Not negativity. Reality. The two QAS here would fail the aerial drops whether the customer signed off or not.
Now, FYI all too often a tech will go to a site and discover the necessity for multiple dish solutions. And all too often Dish refuses to pay for the additional work. Plus, a multi-dish install can absolutely screw a tech's day and make him late for the other three appointments he has that day. So, do we eschew one customer that particular day( needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one) and reschedule the multi-dish job for a lighter day or do we reschedule three other customers so that this particular one can be installed?
Choices.

Not negativity. Reality. The two QAS here would fail the aerial drops whether the customer signed off or not.
Now, FYI all too often a tech will go to a site and discover the necessity for multiple dish solutions. And all too often Dish refuses to pay for the additional work. Plus, a multi-dish install can absolutely screw a tech's day and make him late for the other three appointments he has that day. So, do we eschew one customer that particular day( needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one) and reschedule the multi-dish job for a lighter day or do we reschedule three other customers so that this particular one can be installed?
Choices.

Adding a 72.7 dish (I already had the 61.5 with an aerial wire) is a lot simpler than replacing the 61.5 with a 1000.4 (that would be a waste without LOS to 77 and LOS to 61.5 and 72.7 requiring different locations). The setup that I finaly received was per a tech who figured it out earlier when the new HD first came on, but couldn't do the job with a foot of snow on the roof. For the first tech this spring (I waited for full development of leaves), it was more an issue of an incorrect work order and the garage roof. Altogether Dish's tech support and installations have been very satisfactory.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)