Need to install in my shop

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Drenhead

Original poster
Jul 2, 2004
I currently have DirecTV in my home, but I need to get a receiver installed in my external shop. It is about 150 feet away from my main house. What would be needed for that?

Do I have to put up a whole new service for that? Can it be included with my current service? Will it require a new dish?

Thanks in advance.

Drenhead said:
I currently have DirecTV in my home, but I need to get a receiver installed in my external shop. It is about 150 feet away from my main house. What would be needed for that?

Do I have to put up a whole new service for that? Can it be included with my current service? Will it require a new dish?

Thanks in advance.

Depends, what kind of service do you have now? HD or SD? Do you want HD or SD in your shop? Can a line be ran from the house to the shop? Several questions :)

They say your max is 150 ft but i am running 4 hr-24 on a swm-5 and 1 of them has about 170 ft of wire between odu and ird with no problem

hoggyz3357 said:
They say your max is 150 ft but i am running 4 hr-24 on a swm-5 and 1 of them has about 170 ft of wire between odu and ird with no problem

150 is rule however, I've got an HR22 out there with close to 200ft of cabling between ODU and IRD. I think it really depends on wiring and location but I could be wrong.

1.A good installer wouldnt install a receiver

2.They wouldn't trench 150 feet of cable neither.

Thanks in advance.

Your best bet is to get a "extra" receiver on your current account and install a dish yourself. If you can't install the dish you could possibly find a local DirecTV retailer and pay them to put a dish up. The local retailers around here sell dishes and receivers to current customers, not sure about your area....

If you don't feel up to wasting half a day trenching 150' by hand, you can rent a small walk-behind trencher for $80 or so and be done with it in 10 minutes. If you're going the trench route though, I would bury 1" PVC conduit the whole way. That way if there is ever an underground issue with the coax, you can just pull new cable into place without having to dig the whole thing up again. You'd also have an easy way to get other services like phone and ethernet out there too if needed in the future.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)