Need to know what the beg white X's inside red box mean

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rbdaves

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
So. Cal.
I just aimed my DircTV slimline 3 dish. I peaked the 101, then 103 (ca), then 99 (c). Somewhere along the line, I got a page that had an advice box that had six boxes inside of it. The top set said there were errors in the 13V line on 99, 101 and 103. The bottom line said the 18V part was okay on 99 and 101 and there was a red X for 103. I went ahead and used my TV and everything looks okay,but what do these warning X's mean?

What is the meaning of 99(c), 99(s), 103(s) and 103(ca)?

I peaked 101, 103(ca) and 99(c), in that order.

I've seen that before...when I got my new H23 installed it did the same thing. Just a glitch. We did a reboot and it fixed it

99(c) mean 99 Conus (the HD channels)
99(s) means spotbeams (local markets)
103(s)means spotbeams
103(ca) and 103(cb) are CONUS (the national HD channels)

Not completely ice, it means the dish isn't locked on. Odds are his signals are not as high as they should be. Or the LNB is going bad OR the line is bad. I would suggest posting pics of signal strength for us.

sorry but I disagree. When I got HD the installer hooked up the new dish (I upgraded from SD to HD) and the R22's took to the new setup fine (already had them on a 18" dish). The H23 which was new had that issue but the receiver worked fine and the signals were very good :)

had the same issue with my install of 2 HR24s, good solid signal strengths but the glitch the OP mentioned showed up. We fiddled the dish alignment until it passed all those tests.

But then when I got my 3rd HR24 a few days later, during the install and activation, same issue showed up. I chose skip or continue and went on. And all has worked fine since, now about a month and counting. I agree with Iceberg, it is a glitch in the software...

Going with Hutch on this one. The red Xs are saying the receiver didn't pass Installation Verification. Signal strengths may be high enough for the receiver to work fine under most conditions, but they aren't as high as they should/could be. Activate a new receiver in this neck of the woods with signals on pertinent transponders below 91 and receiver will trigger those big white Xs inside the red boxes. Those 88s and 89s work fine but won't pass IV. D* sets the minimum where they want it. It is higher than it used to be.
lparsons21 hit on it when he said "we fiddled with the dish alignment until it passed those tests" In other words..until the dish was properly aligned. Pretty sure that receivers drop shipped to customers have the "continue" option that installers as a rule don't see. ISS will often wave IV for installers on days when extreme weather will not allow signal strengths high enough to pass IV. They will view prevailing weather conditions and wave IV in targeted DMAs. Installers then have the "continue" option. Otherwise you could never get an installation done in bad weather. Have spent way too much time on the phone with ISS when a passing storm or severe pop up thunderstorms won't allow receivers to activate. Not widespread enough enough to wave IV for entire DMAs but bad enough in your locale. They view conditions in your particular area and if in their opinion they are bad enough they will activate receivers with the Magic Button.

lparsons21 hit on it when he said "we fiddled with the dish alignment until it passed those tests" In other words..until the dish was properly aligned. Pretty sure that receivers drop shipped to customers have the "continue" option that installers as a rule don't see.

But after the install was done and all the alignment was rock solid with excellent signal strengths, I got the same error when I self installed the additional HR24 I got after the initial setup. If it was just alignment, and I already passed that with the initial install, the next add-on shouldn't have had that issue.

lparsons21 said:
But after the install was done and all the alignment was rock solid with excellent signal strengths, I got the same error when I self installed the additional HR24 I got after the initial setup. If it was just alignment, and I already passed that with the initial install, the next add-on shouldn't have had that issue.

It goes both ways. Sometimes the signals are solid and they fail you then hit the re-test and all is well but most times then not it's dish alignment. If it was just installed a few days ago then yes it is possible it's just a glitch or the dish could be on threshold of not being spot on. Either way I agree and disagree both :)

I still want to see the transponder strengths though. With have 4 out of 6 X'd out I believe the dish isn't aligned enough

I still want to see the transponder strengths though. With have 4 out of 6 X'd out I believe the dish isn't aligned enough

two signal strengths on 101, top in 90's, bottom im 80's
103 top was high 50's and bottom mid 90's.
Same for 99.

Reception appears to be fine. All channels are available and picture clarity is tops.

rbdaves said:
two signal strengths on 101, top in 90's, bottom im 80's
103 top was high 50's and bottom mid 90's.
Same for 99.

Reception appears to be fine. All channels are available and picture clarity is tops.

103 and 99 are both well under where they should be. They all should be in the upper 80's to mid 90's. That's why you got X's on the screen. Dish needs aligned.

Those lower than optimum signal strengths are probably going to make rain fade occur sooner and last longer as well. As far as "all channels available amd picture quality tops"...that's the way it works...higher signal strengths are not going to improve pic quality. Enough signal above "searching for satellite signal" cutoff produces same pic as the highest numbers. That dish needs some "more fiddling". Get all strengths above 85-88 and your overall system performance will improve.

In my setup that got those indications also, the signal strengths are all upper 80's and above with about 3 under those by quite a bit. Which makes me wonder how for instance, if all but 2 on the 103 are upper 80's+, are those 2 or 3 really an issue or what?? Confused...

Just got situated in Southern Cal. Got ss of 80 & 90 on all birds after a little "dithering". I'm getting smarter on this stuff.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)