Need to put a splitter in my wiring panel...which one??

agdodge4x4

Original poster
Jun 23, 2013
Houston, TX
I want to bring dish into my structured panel. Not sure which of these to get to make it work correctly. I had HD programming and two receivers.

EDIT: can't hyperlink, but its a leviton panel, so its on their site under TV distribution.

I have the ones that the installers used, but they don't fit nicely in the panel.

Do you mean separator? Different things.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

You need to be a whole lot more specific than "bring dish into my structured panel".

Perhaps you could tell us what you hope to get out of your structured panel when all is said and done.

Ah...OK. Im finishing a room where the dish signal comes in. It basically comes into the house and then has its splitters. My setup is HD Dish, two receivers, 4 TV's. ONE coax going to each receiver, so all the splitting is done on the wall. What I want to do is essentially move all that spaghetti mess into my structured wiring panel. I could simply use the splitters that the Dish installer put on there, but I would like something a little more organized that would 'snap into' my structured wiring panel so that all of my configuring and splitting is done there. In the near future, I will be adding TV's, and while I will still only have 4 TV's, they will not be the same ones in the rooms that they are currently in, so I want to be able to simply disconnect and connect the appropriate coax for the TVs I end up using. I just need to know if there is a nice splitter that will attach to the wiring center that I can use for Dish so I can keep it neat and orderly. I don't know if its a splitter or separator....i just know each receiver has one that has 3 coax attached to it.

Ah...OK. Im finishing a room where the dish signal comes in. It basically comes into the house and then has its splitters. My setup is HD Dish, two receivers, 4 TV's. ONE coax going to each receiver, so all the splitting is done on the wall. What I want to do is essentially move all that spaghetti mess into my structured wiring panel. I could simply use the splitters that the Dish installer put on there, but I would like something a little more organized that would 'snap into' my structured wiring panel so that all of my configuring and splitting is done there. In the near future, I will be adding TV's, and while I will still only have 4 TV's, they will not be the same ones in the rooms that they are currently in, so I want to be able to simply disconnect and connect the appropriate coax for the TVs I end up using. I just need to know if there is a nice splitter that will attach to the wiring center that I can use for Dish so I can keep it neat and orderly. I don't know if its a splitter or separator....i just know each receiver has one that has 3 coax attached to it.

More than likely its a diplexer and not a splitter. Which has a very specific use and must be installed on the cable a very specific way. Good Luck with your remodel.

I've got a pretty good idea of what you're trying to accomplish. Your use of "splitter" is what is making it so confusing. The cables from the Dish must run directly to your receivers, they can not be split. Generally with a dual tuner receiver the cables go in to a diplexer, which looks like a splitter. I'm assuming you have the TV2 feed from those receivers going back to the utility room you were describing and they split apart there to go off to their appropriate rooms.

OK, anyone know if anyone makes a diplexer that is designed to fit cleanly in a structure wiring panel or am I just going to have to leave it 'hanging' around in there?

OK, anyone know if anyone makes a diplexer that is designed to fit cleanly in a structure wiring panel or am I just going to have to leave it 'hanging' around in there?

I'm not sure what exactly would make a splitter, diplexer or any other connector design to fit cleanly in a wiring panel. Aren't diplexers and splitters made to be screwed to a wall or panel?

Have you looked on any websites for custom installations? Something like this website may help, http://www.cableorganizer.com/

..... The cables from the Dish must run directly to your receivers, they can not be split. Generally with a dual tuner receiver the cables go in to a diplexer, which looks like a splitter. I'm assuming you have the TV2 feed from those receivers going back to the utility room you were describing and they split apart there to go off to their appropriate rooms.

Are you saying the Dish Separator is nothing more than a standard diplexer? Or are you referring to piggybacking an OTA or home distribution signal?

BTW, to my knowledge there are two styles of separators, one smaller than the other.

Perhaps we should also be discussing what model receivers he has, and the potential for a future move to the Hopper system.

Are you saying the Dish Separator is nothing more than a standard diplexer? Or are you referring to piggybacking an OTA or home distribution signal?

BTW, to my knowledge there are two styles of separators, one smaller than the other.

Perhaps we should also be discussing what model receivers he has, and the potential for a future move to the Hopper system.

Says in an earlier post 4 TVs and 2 recievrs. Have to be dual tuners. "Splitters" outside would be diplexers. Getting hoppers would be the best.

What adidas said would be the best bet. Diplexers are made for a specific purpose of delivering video signal, not looking nice. So no, no one makes a diplexer designed to snap into a panel. A direct backfeed would be a re-wire and you would probably need a tech visit for but it would remove the diplexers from the picture altogether and you would be left only with cables barrelled together (or fed through the appropriate panel). This is only going to work if you have 2 cables running to each tv location.

Backfeeding, by its very nature, demands diplexers (and often splitters used as both combiners and splitters).

It is not something that is easy to pretty up and putting it in a panel is creating a situation with lots of short jumpers and risking unreasonable cable bends. It is probably better to take a breadboard approach when laying out such a system keeping in mind bend radii and minimizing the number of connectors used.

To the separator comment, the separator cuts at much higher frequency than a conventional diplexer. They are in no way interchangeable.

Hopper wiring is a bit different. You'll only need a single coax to each TV location.

With 2 Hoppers and however many Joeys, you'll have 3 coax from dish/LNB to a duo node. From there, one coax line to each Hopper and each Joey, and you might use taps to add more Joeys.

A node it what connects the Hoppers and Joeys together so they can communicate with each other. If you get one Hopper then you need a single node, if you get two Hoppers then you would need a duo node. A single node needs two cables from the dish run to it and a duo node needs three cables from the dish. You could put the node in your panel and should make things pretty neat. If you plan on mirroring any TVs with the Hopper system you will need two cables to that location. For example, if you put a Hopper in the basement and would like a bedroom to share the same the same feed then you would need two cables from your panel to the basement. One cable will get the sat signal to the Hopper and the other cable would be the backfeed of the Hopper. Don't forget that you would need an RF Modulator since the Hopper does not have a coax output.

And, in case you're following all that, there's the wireless option. :dev

I follow. Since I had some work done AFTER my installer left, I usually end up having to figure out all this stuff on my own, so while I am no expert, I am at least a LITTLE familiar with it.

harshness, maybe it is just semantics here but backfeeding does not require diplexers.
there will be a node switch in the panel if a hopper is installed. and if you get an inhouse employee don't expect him/her to even admit that wireless works. just buy an extra wifi adapter from him and do it yourself after.
that said, hopper is great. fantastic picture. enjoy it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)