Need to replace a 522 reciever

Smokin Joe

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
Alabama
It was replaced last month for the second time since 10/4/2004. The "new" refurbished one is worse than the one it replaced. Dish tech service this week, replaced my "5.0 IR remote with a "6.4 IR/UHF PRO". Telling me it would fix my "letter boxing" problem with this receiver. I would like to get a modern up to date SD DVR receiver. Is that possible. Who or what department do I need to talk to?

It was replaced last month for the second time since 10/4/2004. The "new" refurbished one is worse than the one it replaced. Dish tech service this week, replaced my "5.0 IR remote with a "6.4 IR/UHF PRO". Telling me it would fix my "letter boxing" problem with this receiver. I would like to get a modern up to date SD DVR receiver. Is that possible. Who or what department do I need to talk to?
You need to define a modern up to date SD DVR receiver. DISH dosen't have one, the only newer SD DVR is the 625 which is the same as a 522 but with a larger hard drive. If you want something newer you need to move up to a 722K HD DVR it has TV1 capable of either SD or HD and TV2 as SD only.

I found out by accident a couple years ago that the 722 could be set to SD only. My power was going on and off to my house and after it settled down my 722 had no HD anywhere, it didn't even show up in the all channel's guide. I went thru every setting and reboot but no HD not even OTA. I had to call to get a hit from Dish to get it back. So in earlier software versions it was possible to have a HD 722 that would only get SD. It didn't even say in the system info screen that it was HD. I know on my online bill it use to say HD enabled under my equipment list, I think now with EA that option is probably gone.:confused:

If you want to keep sd only then a 625 is the way to go it has 150 hrs vs 100 on the 522. You must specify that you want a 625 on the workorder. The basically have taken all the old 522 and made them into 512 with caps on the tv2 output. Keep that remote and when you get the new receiver the menu allows for tv1 to become uhf setup. Set tv1 on channel A remote address 2 the then tv2 on channel B remote addr say 14 or 16 to avoid interference. If you want a 622 the hd is 30 hrs and the sd is 200.

gearheadchnc, I am thinking 622 now. I have one at the other end of my house that works well. Or should I update to 722 or what ever? Where do I order the replacement? I have the Dish web site on my computer but can't figure out how to navigate it, to place an order. Is phoning the only way?? Thanks

If you upgrade to 722/622, which you have to call in to do, they will want to upgrade the dish as well as start a 2-yr commitment

One thing about the 622/722 is that it doesn't have a tv1 out like the sd receivers. You have to hook it up with component or composite cables.

Doc6666 is right but there is a work around meaning you can modulate tv1 to say 125 cable with tv2 cable 73. You just go into menu 6 1 5 you'll see it. All you have to do is go out the the modulator tv2 output with a two way splitter then a coax cable to your tv1 then out the other port into the diplexer or triplexer.

Avoid also any contract if possible but if you get a 722k then its worth the ota module use The Dish store its $35 I think Dish wants $50 because then you can modulate out to channel 3 or 4 & record the off air channels also.

Good luck with Dish!!

Guy was here at noon today and replaced my 522 with a Vip722. Best experience I have had with Dish. My total cost will be a total of $15!! Same monthly:) billing as before!!:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)