Need to vent -- installation bungle

Status
Please reply by conversation.

martincva

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2003
I called a few days ago and got a decent deal on an HD-DVR, HD receiver, new antenna, and installation. Install was scheduled for today. I took the day off work. Then, at 9am I get a call that there are no HD-DVRs in the warehouse, so they won't be able to come.

Great. So I take a day off work for nothing. I suggested that they have the installer go pick one up at the Best Buy. Nope, cannot do this, as they are also out of antennas. Right.

But at least the nice lady apologized. That made everything ok. :mad:

Well, badly managed local contracted install companies for 'ya. Call DirecTV directly and complain even though they really have little to do with all that; they just will be your subscription company post-install and you might get a few freebies and place a mark on a bad install company so maybe they will get canned.

Well, badly managed local contracted install companies for 'ya. Call DirecTV directly and complain even though they really have little to do with all that; they just will be your subscription company post-install and you might get a few freebies and place a mark on a bad install company so maybe they will get canned.

And where do you think these local companies get their HD-DVR's and dishes from? D* is aware of the equipment shortage that is starting to hit because of the increased number of HD subscribers, but they will not admit it.

Speculation that we can't get the number of HD DVR's that we've ordered from D* lately? Nope. Our order is routinely being cut by about 50% by D*.

QFT.

Place the blame where it is due. Regardless of the management situation in the contract companies, we can't install receivers we don't have, and can't get.

Why the B&M stores have stock of receivers they won't send us, I don't know. I am at the bottom of the Totem Pole, but we are continually short on stock of HD equipment.

Speculation that we can't get the number of HD DVR's that we've ordered from D* lately? Nope. Our order is routinely being cut by about 50% by D*.

Yeah us to we cant keep them in stock!!! kinda like christmas looking for the IN toy right now with those boxes they are reall;y going fast thats for sure!! AND for whoever said about getting someone fired for not havng them in stock come on get real, I swear people on here are something else I mean go outside and do something get of the couch sheeeesh LOL!!!

Get a few freebies that whats wrong with all this all people care about is what they can get for FFRREEEEE!!! Hmmm must be nice to be perfect like some people on here are!!

Get a few freebies that whats wrong with all this all people care about is what they can get for FFRREEEEE!!! Hmmm must be nice to be perfect like some people on here are!!

Regardless of fault placement here, the customer is due some compensation at this point (which was my point). I am 110% sure you (like most) bitch for a messed up food-service issue at the local restaurant if it effects your bill and/or service. Likely totaling less than $7

yea, what Carper1 said. Plus, it's not free, probably paying $70/mo and he lost a vacation day. D* should do something to make up.

Can't you simply "order" twice as many boxes as you think you will need? That way, when D* cuts your delivery by 50%, you have exactly the number of boxes you really need. ;)

Can't you simply "order" twice as many boxes as you think you will need? That way, when D* cuts your delivery by 50%, you have exactly the number of boxes you really need. ;)

Nope. D* cuts the smaller markets quicker than the larger ones. Our orders are often cut so bad that all installer can carry is 1 HDDVR at a time.

I have seen this one before.
From the standpoint of the customer and the installer the fulfillment model worked better. The equipment gets UPSed to the customer. When it arrives the customer calles to schedule an installation and is put into a realistic time frame.

The same folks that screwed this deal up could be the same ones who sent equipment to wrong addresses over and over, etc. . The inventory problems with the MSP program are well known. Add increased demand with fewer experienced tech willing to put up with the crap and things come off the tracks.

Joe

I called a few days ago and got a decent deal on an HD-DVR, HD receiver, new antenna, and installation. Install was scheduled for today. I took the day off work. Then, at 9am I get a call that there are no HD-DVRs in the warehouse, so they won't be able to come.

Great. So I take a day off work for nothing. I suggested that they have the installer go pick one up at the Best Buy. Nope, cannot do this, as they are also out of antennas. Right.

But at least the nice lady apologized. That made everything ok. :mad:
One thng you'll have to realize that the intstall calendars are not filled according to equipment availablty but rather when the jobs can be scheduled.
I am a tech. One thing I have come to undersatnd is HiDef eq is not easy to get. It comes in and goes right out the door. Wecan't keep it in stock. Howeevr if you're going to ask why we just dont by more, don't..Two reasons. One ,iut's expensive. Two, our suppliers just don't have the luxury. The suppliers have to have ennough to go around.
Our routing is usually done the night before, so we can precall our customers. At this time we can let them know there is an EQ shortgage and not to expect us the next day. What screws us up is when the work isn't assigned until the day of the job. That's when we or our dispatch people make thre dear customer call. We get through it. But we soemtimes get ripped by thoe who won't be servuiced that day. That I cannot understand. It is not our fault the EQ is unavailable. The situation isn't going to change if the customer gets irate. It's not as though we don't want to do the jobs.

In addition, D* has a 45 day window from the time they ship the equipment to the HSP to the time it is activated. If the equipment is not activated in that time frame, D* charges the HSP for each receiver that is past the window.

In addition, D* has a 45 day window from the time they ship the equipment to the HSP to the time it is activated. If the equipment is not activated in that time frame, D* charges the HSP for each receiver that is past the window.
Interstersting. Our D* supplier for our retail deals gives us 90 days to activate each receiver we buy.
Perhaps it is is bit differetn on the retail side.
Never the less, we are limited on how much EQ we can keep in stock. For example, I am preparing to submit an order for a D* HD system. I have to check our stock first because we don't sell that many D* systems, we don't stock alot of D* EQ. We're primarily an E* dealer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts