Need to vent -- installation bungle

Status
Please reply by conversation.
=================
Dishcomm,

The customers will not suffer. Suffer is no electricity or running water. Suffer is bombs falling on your house. Suffer is irregular food supplies.

DTV customers will be ok. They can hold out without HD commercials until the next batch of installers find them. It could be weeks.

It is only TV.

Joe
You know what I mean..Poor customer service and poor install work.

You know what I mean..Poor customer service and poor install work.

Yes,

I knew what you meant. The hardest thing about dealing with the public is enduring a real ass hole for awhile. Then you move on to the next customer and have to start over with a friendly smile.

Hope he sends the cookies.

Joe

Yes,

I knew what you meant. The hardest thing about dealing with the public is enduring a real ass hole for awhile. Then you move on to the next customer and have to start over with a friendly smile.

Hope he sends the cookies.

Joe
MMMMMMM Cookies.....

Then of course you have the portion that things a free 125 foot run means laying the cable down the hallway or in the grass and not dropping it down a wall cavity. This and other forums are chock full of those crooks.

Hmmm I bet you wouldnt last as a installer for more than a week but you sure can give the sh*t hmmm but Id bet the farm you cant take it!!!

Hmmm I bet you wouldnt last as a installer for more than a week but you sure can give the sh*t hmmm but Id bet the farm you cant take it!!!
I believe we put him inm his place. Not a peep since he got flamed by several techs on here.

:DLast seen in the newly added vurbano –vs- installers war zone.
LOL!!!!....There have been other on here who like to take pot shots at the industry and those of us who work in it. None of the crappy installers which generate the complaints would post here. So why these people like vurbano would come on here and vent their spleen and call out all techs is a mystery to me. The complainers have to know they are going to get creamed for the blanket statements they post. Or not. Maybe their rage against the dummy they had to endure clouded their jusdgement. Or maybe they are so angry they lack the ability to think rationally before posting.

None of the crappy installers which generate the complaints would post here. So why these people like vurbano would come on here and vent their spleen and call out all techs is a mystery to me.

I was thinking the same.

I think we can all agree that bad work will always get more notice than good work, should it be that way... no, but that is life.

Are all installers bad, I'm sure they are not. But there are a lot of bad ones out there. I have delt with only three. one was fine, but the other two were horrible. One told my father in law that he had no LOS for the sat that transmits his locals. OK I have heard of this before, but his dish is pointed at an empty field, no trees or buildings forever. So I asked him what the tech said was blocking his LOS my father said that the house across the street was the reason given... a full 45% off the LOS for D* sats. The installer thought he needed 2 dishes one for conus and one for locals pointed in 2 different directions. Mind you I live 2 miles away and get all 5 sats just fine. with one dish. I also had to deal with my recent slimline/ hr20 install. The guy installed a r15 and the slimline, I stopped him when I saw what he did and told him wrong reciever he looked and said he misread it, got me my hr20 and was leaving when I asked did he instal the new multiswitch so I could get the HD, he said I had a multiswitch aready so didn't need the zinwell, I had to make him put it in or no mpeg4 HD for me. And i noticed after he left all the extra cables were missing from the box...

Does this mean all contractors suck? no but it doesn't help their image.

If you are a good contractor, my hats off to you, slap the bad ones silly for me will ya?

and was leaving when I asked did he instal the new multiswitch so I could get the HD, he said I had a multiswitch aready so didn't need the zinwell, I had to make him put it in or no mpeg4 HD for me.

Just a quick clarification...you do not need the Zinwell multiswitch to get the MPEG4 HD unless you are using a 2nd dish for reception, or have more than 4 lines coming from the dish to the receivers. The built in multiswitch will handle MPEG4 just fine.

I think we can all agree that bad work will always get more notice than good work, should it be that way... no, but that is life.

Are all installers bad, I'm sure they are not. But there are a lot of bad ones out there. I have delt with only three. one was fine, but the other two were horrible. One told my father in law that he had no LOS for the sat that transmits his locals. OK I have heard of this before, but his dish is pointed at an empty field, no trees or buildings forever. So I asked him what the tech said was blocking his LOS my father said that the house across the street was the reason given... a full 45% off the LOS for D* sats. The installer thought he needed 2 dishes one for conus and one for locals pointed in 2 different directions. Mind you I live 2 miles away and get all 5 sats just fine. with one dish. I also had to deal with my recent slimline/ hr20 install. The guy installed a r15 and the slimline, I stopped him when I saw what he did and told him wrong reciever he looked and said he misread it, got me my hr20 and was leaving when I asked did he instal the new multiswitch so I could get the HD, he said I had a multiswitch aready so didn't need the zinwell, I had to make him put it in or no mpeg4 HD for me. And i noticed after he left all the extra cables were missing from the box...

Does this mean all contractors suck? no but it doesn't help their image.

If you are a good contractor, my hats off to you, slap the bad ones silly for me will ya?

Sorry you had a bad experience.
"I think we can all agree that bad work will always get more notice than good work, should it be that way... no, but that is life.

Are all installers bad, I'm sure they are not. But there are a lot of bad ones out there. I have delt with only three. one was fine, but the other two were horrible. "....Ok that's fine.,You could have stopped right there and made your point adequately.
The installer was poorly trained or just a bad one.
We understand that.
Poor work does make us look bad. And we are glad that there are customers looking for an outlet to explain their issues.
But a pattern has devloped where some customers come here for one reason. To trash an installer or the industry in general. That's fine. But none of you seem to want to come on here and post anything regarding positive experiences. That gives the casual visitor here and quite possibly a prospective customer the impression that satellite is a bad idea because of all the negative feedback about techs. So that person may decide to not get the product at all. In that case you (not personally) have cost us a job. Which means you cost us money. Now how would you(not personally) like it if we installers/techs posted here how much we despise painters or plumbers or whatever it is you do for a living?.
A request to anyone on here who has a recently had an install or other work done. If you had a positive experience please do not hesitate to post your comments.
It seems we techs have been getting beaten up on this board. Time for a little sunshine.
Thanks...

I had a installer issue. The old 'No LOS".
The local contractor sent a different team. Not only did they do an excellent, concientious job, they even fished a fresh pair of wires from my attic to my crawl space. Would not let me pay extra or do anything for them other than give them some ice water. They worked from 4:30 PM till 11:30 PM. The contractor felt the first installer did not follow through as he should of and apparently told the second team to do what ever I wanted, to make sure I was a very satisfied customer. These guys did a terrific job. Even gave me thier personal cell phione numbers to call if I ever have a problem. Left me feeling all warm and fuzzy. :)

Sorry you had a bad experience.
"I think we can all agree that bad work will always get more notice than good work, should it be that way... no, but that is life.

Are all installers bad, I'm sure they are not. But there are a lot of bad ones out there. I have delt with only three. one was fine, but the other two were horrible. "....Ok that's fine.,You could have stopped right there and made your point adequately.
The installer was poorly trained or just a bad one.
We understand that.
Poor work does make us look bad. And we are glad that there are customers looking for an outlet to explain their issues.
But a pattern has devloped where some customers come here for one reason. To trash an installer or the industry in general. That's fine. But none of you seem to want to come on here and post anything regarding positive experiences. That gives the casual visitor here and quite possibly a prospective customer the impression that satellite is a bad idea because of all the negative feedback about techs. So that person may decide to not get the product at all. In that case you (not personally) have cost us a job. Which means you cost us money. Now how would you(not personally) like it if we installers/techs posted here how much we despise painters or plumbers or whatever it is you do for a living?.
A request to anyone on here who has a recently had an install or other work done. If you had a positive experience please do not hesitate to post your comments.
It seems we techs have been getting beaten up on this board. Time for a little sunshine.
Thanks...

When you hang up the satellite thing you should be a diplomat. I can see it now, Jews hugging Muslims in Israel-estine.

Just a quick clarification...you do not need the Zinwell multiswitch to get the MPEG4 HD unless you are using a 2nd dish for reception, or have more than 4 lines coming from the dish to the receivers. The built in multiswitch will handle MPEG4 just fine.

I do have 8 lines to the house.

Just to let you know I work in an industry that a few bad apples have given a major black eye to, subprime loans. My company has been decimated because other companies had very unethical business practices. We never gave out loans that we thought were bad, the last thing we want is someones house, we want a timely monthly payment to make lots of money. But there are idiots out there who lent to anyone with the dumbest loans I have ever seen. Now all people in my profession are thought to be crooks and investors are drying up in droves, so 50 people Have been laid off in my company in the last 4 months (1/4 of staff). So I understand how just a few bad apples can hurt your reputation. So to anyone saying that ALL or even most installers are idiots you are wrong. But installers can't say they are all great either, just like I can't say that all subprime lenders are great.

Unfortunately we live in a world where the worst of us define us.

I mentioned my bad experiences to show that there are some really bad installers out there, but notice I said that they are not the majority of installers, even though they are the majority of installers I personally have delt with. I try to keep an open mind and say that 2 bad experiences do not define an industry. But to ignore the bad installers lets them continue to be bad. The county just slapped the crap out of my industry it caused a lot of pain, but the industry will be run better in the future with the bad eggs removed. The same is true with yours.

So if someone complains to D* about a bad install and that installer gets repremanded, hopefully that installer will get better. I would like to say that customers should call to report good experiences, but I am smart enough to know very few will wait on hold and give up their time to do so, and I bet that D* probably has no way to track good work, only bad...

Like I said we are defined by the worst of us...

Need to vent...

Nightagna:
Great thread posted by you. I am impressed by your fairness and objectivity. About a week ago I called D* for a blogger here who got a lousy job by incompetent and irresponsible installers. When the CSR answered I told her and him(supposedly the supervisor) that I was pleased with their service mid to upper nineties SS's. The supervisor was arrogant, argumentative and clintonian sounding. He never apologized for the poor performance by the installers. Like you stated the installers are another group which has good ones and bad ones.
Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)