Needed: Equipment suggestions and ideas

Bill Scott

Original poster
Aug 14, 2016
Newhebron MS
I've been a DirecTV subscriber since 1993 and I have had enough of them. Strongly considering DISH; however I have some questions about equipment.

We travel a lot and have TV in our RV, but my old Panasonic DVR is busted, so I am looking for a DVR that we can record movies at home and then play them in our RV when we are away from home, either in our RV or the TVs in hotels. We will delete 95% after viewing them.

I have been looking around for a new DVR that will work with DISH, but I would like one that can be operated/viewed with Bluetooth of WiFi from a cell phone or lap top AND/OR played on our flat flat screen TV. Also, I would like the ability to view/delete movies on the DVR without actually playing them on the TV monitor. I would also like to view the list while not connected o the DVR IF that is at all possible. In looking around. It would require a list of the programs to be synchronized with my mobile device. While all of these options may not be available, I would like to get an idea of the best options out there.

I found a plethora of gadgets (i.e. Joey, TVio, Roku, etc.) that seem to work with a Hopper w/Sling 3. My biggest issue is no one speaks common English when describing these gizmos, and I have no idea in which direction I should be looking. Another important issue is that Internet service at our home base is T1 (about 1.25 up and down) so video streaming is not very reliable.

You can record at home and transfer recordings to an iPad/iPhone if you get either the Hopper w/Sling or Hopper 3. It is quite simple and nearly bullet proof. You could then either watch it on the iPad/iPhone or get an AppleTV and mirror it to a TV.

I think it can be done with Android, but I don't know that for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been a DirecTV subscriber since 1993 and I have had enough of them. Strongly considering DISH; however I have some questions about equipment.

We travel a lot and have TV in our RV, but my old Panasonic DVR is busted, so I am looking for a DVR that we can record movies at home and then play them in our RV when we are away from home, either in our RV or the TVs in hotels. We will delete 95% after viewing them.

I have been looking around for a new DVR that will work with DISH, but I would like one that can be operated/viewed with Bluetooth of WiFi from a cell phone or lap top AND/OR played on our flat flat screen TV. Also, I would like the ability to view/delete movies on the DVR without actually playing them on the TV monitor. I would also like to view the list while not connected o the DVR IF that is at all possible. In looking around. It would require a list of the programs to be synchronized with my mobile device. While all of these options may not be available, I would like to get an idea of the best options out there.

I found a plethora of gadgets (i.e. Joey, TVio, Roku, etc.) that seem to work with a Hopper w/Sling 3. My biggest issue is no one speaks common English when describing these gizmos, and I have no idea in which direction I should be looking. Another important issue is that Internet service at our home base is T1 (about 1.25 up and down) so video streaming is not very reliable.

Hello. You may want to consider a HopperGo. Small (pocket size) that will let you take up to 100 hours of recorded programming with you. You can use it on devices like Smart Phones or Tablets. If you are looking for a receiver that has a DVR that would go on your TV, we do have options for that but you would need to have recorded the programming on that receiver. You can't transfer recording to that DVR. An External Hard Drive is also a lower cost option. You can move the recording from one receiver and use it when you're on the road.

Hello. You may want to consider a HopperGo. Small (pocket size) that will let you take up to 100 hours of recorded programming with you. You can use it on devices like Smart Phones or Tablets. If you are looking for a receiver that has a DVR that would go on your TV, we do have options for that but you would need to have recorded the programming on that receiver. You can't transfer recording to that DVR. An External Hard Drive is also a lower cost option. You can move the recording from one receiver and use it when you're on the road.

Is there a way to transfer the contents of my DirecTV DVR to the Hopper?

Absolutely not. Legally, that is. Your best bet may be to burn a disc or a hundred.

Actually, I doubt it could be done even illegally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts