Needing a new dvr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rhinoman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Atlanta, Georgia
My old Directv SD DVR with Tivo (SD DVR40) is whirring like an airplane so I figure it is only a matter of time before it dies. I keep resetting but it is really acting up. It is two years old. I want to get another SD DVR with Tivo with 70 hours recording time.(or more?) What model is that? The Directv site didn't list the different types of dvrs they now carry.

I called Directv to get my options and it looks like I have four options but I'd love to get some opinions from you guys.

1) Get a refurbished dvr for $19.95 (S&H) No guarantee on what receiver I'd get.
I think this idea stinks, unless they could tell me what I'm getting.

2) Get a new dvr for $99 with $25 off. Don't know if they are tacking on an extra $19.99 for shipping or not. No guarantee on what receiver...
This idea not much better.

3) Get a unit at Walmart for $99. I'd get what I want (TIVO!)

4) Move to Dish
Not really crazy about that idea but I may threaten Directv about switching to get some freebies. Free movies to stay? It should be worth three months of something.

I realize that Directv is going to zap me with a two year contract if I stay with them, and that I am simply leasing the units which is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Pay to lease! Hate it. My lease is over at this point so I hate to get snagged again.

Also, I don't want to buy a DVR online from anyone. It either comes from Directv or Walmart.

Thanks for any help! Sorry so long!

Okay, after reading some threads here, it looks like I am after an R10 model with 70 hours. It has the Tivo that I want. Probably have to get it at Walmart.

Anyone else in the same boat? Any good deals? Anyone?

I just had my old Tivo unit die as well, it sounded like a B-29!!! I switched to an HD unit, but before I did, I got them to agree to a replacement for just shipping, like you. BUT, I did tell them I wanted the veto over what unit I got. They agreed. That is when we started talking HD.

Scotsmanron,
So you got them to upgrade you from a standard dvr to an HD dvr for just shipping costs? Did you get a refurbished unit? Lay some details on me man, and I may follow suit! :D

No, you misunderstood. We didn't start talking HD until they realized that I wasn't going to take just any DVR. Seems that could have caused them a lot of headaches. At that point I said, "Ok, then to save you a lot of trouble, make me a deal on the HD 10-250". They did, but I'm still not very happy. I'm not getting any networks in HD and cooperation from D* on this front is non-existant.

Yeah, I didn't think I read it right.

I am still undecided what I want to do with my situation. My dvr is still working but I have to reset it every day or so.

Plywodstatebum said:
Why don't you fix the one you have? It's probably the Hard Drive.

I'll look into it. The last time I worked on a computer, however, the result was not good (don't ask) but some of the threads here seem to indicate that replacing the DVR hard drive isn't too complicated.
Looks like $119 for the 70 hour kit . Hmmm...

At least if I screw it up I can just go buy a new unit.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I believe there are links on this site where you can buy a ready out-of-the-box replacement HDD for your DirecTivo.

When my original tivo died (Sony Sat T60) I called and asked what to do. They offered the refurb, but I decided to just go to Best Buy and pick up a new one. (This was about 2 years ago before the non Tvo DVR's came out).

When they tried to sting me on the commitment for "adding new equipment" I argued this is not adding a receiver, but replacing a broken one. It took a threat to leave but they waived the commitment. I'd try that to at least avoid the 2 year commitment if you get your replacement from D*

Personally I'd look into replacing the drive. I wish I'd have known about replacement HDD's 2 years ago. I liked my Sony. Oh well :rolleyes:

scotsmanron said:
No, you misunderstood. We didn't start talking HD until they realized that I wasn't going to take just any DVR. Seems that could have caused them a lot of headaches. At that point I said, "Ok, then to save you a lot of trouble, make me a deal on the HD 10-250". They did, but I'm still not very happy. I'm not getting any networks in HD and cooperation from D* on this front is non-existant.

All Directv can do is apply for waivers for you to get the HD DNS stations. You are at the mercy of your local stations if they approve them or not. If you are in range, get your locals OTA with an antenna.

Though as of April 30th you can request a digital signal test. That is how I got one station to grant a waiver. If they fail the test then the station pays the test bill.

No question - get your butt to Wal-Mart & pick one up f/$99. (assuming they even have them still - most don't, but I did stop at one down around St.Louis last Friday & found TWO brand new R10's - took me about 15 seconds to haul them up to the register :D ;) )
You will NEVER find these brand new this cheap ever again - what is there to think about... :confused:

Well, I did get my butt to Walmart and get an R-10. (they had three R-10's). Now I have a 2 year commitment despite my best efforts to get out of it. I spoke with three different folks at Directv but to no avail. I decided to go ahead and activate because I have a cheap old package (select choice) and I may get the NFL package again. I'll be with them two years anyway. I was told my package price would be locked that time period.

At first, I was thinking that maybe this lease thing would be okay because I thought it would protect me in case of lightning running in and they would automatically replace the unit free. Wrong. I was told that I'd have to get the protection plan (about $5.00 a month) to have that kind of peace of mind. I said "No". This whole business model is strange. (I did get three months of free Starz and Showtime for staying with them.)

One last thing... how do you hook up your dvd recorder to your dvr and tv? Should I just run the s-video from the dvr to the dvd recorder and then s-video on to the tv and just leave the dvd recorder on all the time when the tv is on? I know the s-video is better than the rca plugs as far as quality. How do you guys do it?
I wonder if it will wear out the recorder prematurely. Right now I run them seperately but my recordings probably suffer on the rca plugs. I wish they had two s-videos or better yet component outputs on the R-10.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts