Neighbor has same remote

jfor26

Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Ok, called dish on this and they told me I was out of my mind and not possible.

I have a 625. I have 2 TV's hooked up to it. The 625 is in the family room and the second tv is in my bedroom.

My neighbor recently subscribe to dish also and has a 625. As soon as he got his weird stuff started to happen. I would find Timers setup recording all types of weird stuff, specifically Spanish speaking channels. I do not speak Spanish.

It took me a while but I finally figured it out. His RF remote is on the same channel as my RF remote for TV2. He came over and I can change the channel with his remote.

Does anyone have any info on how to change the address on the RF remote for TV2.

Like I said previously. Dish says its not possible for this to happen and argued with me about it for 15 minutes. They said they would have to research it and get back to me, well its been about a week and nothing. I have tried to call and got the same argument so I thought I would ask here before I attempted that again.

Thanks.

You are not crazy! It happened to me years ago. I came home from work and my wife thought the Dish receiver had gone crazy - channels would change, she would change it back, then it would change again. I knew right away it was the neighbor, as he had just put in a Dish system that am. So I thought let's have some fun - so I kept changing channels and going to the setup and other annoying menus to make him go crazy. It must have worked - he took down his dish 2 days later :) Anyway, just change your remote address that will solve the problem.

Hello,

It is a simple matter to change the remote address on a remote and receiver. I don't have the manual in front of me but it is in the manual and easy to understand.

Tony

To handle this situation, you can change address on Remote Control 2 and the
receiver as follows:
1. Make sure you turn on the TV.
2. Press the front panel SYSTEM INFO button to display the System Info
screen.
The System Info screen shows the Secondary Remote Address.
Write down this address:
3. Press and hold the SAT button on Remote Control 2 for about
three seconds, until all of the mode buttons light up, and then let
go of the SAT button.
4. Use the NUMBER PAD buttons to enter any number between 1 and 16, but
not the one you wrote in step 2.
Write down the number you entered:
5. Press the POUND (#) button. If you entered the address correctly,
the SAT mode button will flash three times.
Chapter 2
Page 44
Receiver Description and Installation
6. Press the RECORD button.
7. Make sure the Secondary Remote Address you see on the
System Info screen is the same as the one you entered in step 4. If
it isn’t, the remote cannot control the receiver.
8. Press the SELECT button to close the Important System
Information screen.
Checking the Remote Control Address
1. Press and hold the SAT mode button for three seconds, until all of
the mode buttons light up, and then let go of the SAT button.
2. Press the POUND (#) button twice. The SAT mode button will
flash the same number of times as the address number (three
flashes means address 3).

Page 43 / 44 of the User Guide.

here is how to change the address on your Remote Control for TV2

1- turn on the tv
2- press front panel SYSTEM INFO button
==== this screen menu will show the address for the Remote
3- hold down the SAT button on your remote until ALL the mode buttons light up (about 3 or 4 seconds)
4- use the number pad to enter ANY number between 1 and 16 EXCEPT for the original address
5- press the POUND (#) button .... if you did it correctly, the SAT mode button will flash three times
6- press the RECORD button
7- press select

this will change your address and the neighbor's remote won't have any effect on yours now

good luck

"...It must have worked - he took down his dish 2 days later..."

Here I am, trying to get people to sign up with Dish and you're working at cross purposes! ;)

Thanks for all the help. I will try it tonight when I get home from work.

Yea, I know what you mean. I screw with them all the time. If I do it enough you can here them start to yell. They are really are nice people but they have no clue about what is happening.

I will just change mine.

Thanks Again.!

You are not crazy! It happened to me years ago. I came home from work and my wife thought the Dish receiver had gone crazy - channels would change, she would change it back, then it would change again. I knew right away it was the neighbor, as he had just put in a Dish system that am. So I thought let's have some fun - so I kept changing channels and going to the setup and other annoying menus to make him go crazy. It must have worked - he took down his dish 2 days later :) Anyway, just change your remote address that will solve the problem.

Post of the year, FTW!!!!!!!!!!!

You are an evil, evil man. I think I will try something like this... I wonder if it's possible to hook up a UHF transmitter to your car battery, and shoot high powered UHF signals all around the neighborhood to screw up Dishnetwork TV2 channels... OWNAGE!!!

I had this problem within my own house when I first became a DISH sub. I was going DISH after several years of brokered BEV in my home. I thought the new DISH receiver was really screwing up until I realized that the BEV receiver and remote-on which we still had a week's subscription-had the same remote address.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)