Nesn

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sady

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
Massachusetts
I emailed Directv about them adding Nesn HD. I got the usual email saying they will keep it on file. I then emailed NESN and received this reply. "Dear DirecTV Customer:
NESN appreciates your interest in our high definition coverage of the
Red Sox and Bruins home games. NESN and DirecTV have discussed carriage
of these HD games.
However, I have no information to offer at this
time.
We will save your email and notify when more information is available
about DirecTV distributing NESN's HD game coverage.
Thank you.
Sincerely,
Keisha Hall
Customer Relations

From what I understand we won't see NESN HD for a long time. HDNET does carry some Bruins and Red Sox games, but we don't get to see those either. Local blackout restrictions; which I can't really figure out. Sox are always sold out, I know the Bruins are not...

The local blackouts are to protect the local stations broadcasting rights. I think.

Only with the NFL does a game have to be soldout otherwise the game is not televised. Otherwise as stated the game is blacked out regardless of it being a sellout in other leagues, NHL, NBA, etc. to protect the local station's broadcasting rights.

Strange, when I had Comcast the INHD channels would broadcast the Red Sox/Bruins in High def, and we could watch local. I imagine they paid for those rights, or they're both comcast owned? No Bruins & Celtics HD, only the rare Red Sox HD, fighting with OTA for football games in HD. HD tivo requires a second mortgage, and gets you locked in even longer. What a pain in the arse.

Anyway, I'm locked in until July 17th. Then its probably back to Comcast (which I know has its own problems), or better yet FIOS. D* has its place and offers a lot for less $, but its just not for me.

swim said:
The local blackouts are to protect the local stations broadcasting rights. I think.

Thats the theory at least......But i've had games blackedout when no local channel here was showing the game but the outher teams local station was showing it.

I know it doesn't make sense. Tonight Joe Thorton returns to Boston after the biggest hockey trade of the year and no NHL CI HD. Most Sharks home games are FOXHD and with the News corp relationship it is strange that Direc doesn't show and FoxHD hockey games.

They show OLN HD feeds, Altitude HD feeds, and Sunshine Network Feeds.

I give trying to apply a modicum of logic to DirecTV's HD sports.

jpa25 said:
From what I understand we won't see NESN HD for a long time. HDNET does carry some Bruins and Red Sox games, but we don't get to see those either. Local blackout restrictions; which I can't really figure out. Sox are always sold out, I know the Bruins are not...
If NESN, Fox Sports New England, or WSBK (If they still carry games) broadcasts the same Bruins or Red Sox game, it will be blacked out on HDNET or any other network carrying the event.

There is nothing I want more than NESN in HD for the Red Sox games. I would give up every other HD channel to get it, but that's not an option.

Comcast service terminates one town east of me. My town was smart enough to sign a 10 year deal with Time Warner out of Albany, NY (we're in central MA in the Boston DMA) who provides ZERO HD programming to us and has NO PLANS to do so. I hope somebody on the local committee got paid off well for that stroke of genius.

Of course, no joy from either D* or E*...i COULD get some of the games in HD with MLB Extra Innings....no wait, I couldn't, they would be BLACKED OUT BECAUSE I'M IN NESN'S HOME TERRITORY. :mad: :mad: :mad:

OK, Got that off my chest. There was no point to this post excapt to rant. Sorry about that.

Will the new local hd markets eventually include RSN'S. I hate cable but how much longer do i have to wait. I need NESN!

mazter17 said:
Will the new local hd markets eventually include RSN'S. I hate cable but how much longer do i have to wait. I need NESN!

Not as part of the current MPG4 HD upgrade. It is only including the big 4 networks at this time. I hope that down the road when they add more RSN HD and sports package HD broadcasts. I know now the FSN Florida has the Florida Panther games in HD. Sure would like to see them in HD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts