Nest Learning Thermostat

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
My furnace is origional from 1938 we have no cooling in the house. I replace the thermostat a few years ago, but can't remember how many wires it had, it was 2 or 3.

A/C is just about a requirement where we live. Too bad heat during the winter is too. The house we are renting needs more weatherproofing as our gas bill for a 1500 sq ft house was over $150 this past month.

My furnace is origional from 1938 we have no cooling in the house. I replace the thermostat a few years ago, but can't remember how many wires it had, it was 2 or 3.

The other thing you can do is just run a 24v transformer (like for a sprinkler system) to it. I happen to have a closet behind my thermostat downstairs, so if I didn't have the extra wire, I planned just putting in a transformer in the closet and poking a hole through the Sheetrock to the thermostat.

Nope don't have it.

Attachments

• image-1503160219.png
    image-1503160219.png
    282.8 KB · Views: 105
I don't have a C wire. I have G, Y, W, and R and I was able to install my Nest just fine. I guess one of the wires carries the power. I know nothing about HVAC systems so I don't know what the wires do.

I don't have a C wire. I have G, Y, W, and R and I was able to install my Nest just fine. I guess one of the wires carries the power. I know nothing about HVAC systems so I don't know what the wires do.

Rh Red -24 Volt Hot for Heating
Rc Red -24 Volt Hot for Cooling
Y1 Yellow -First Stage Cooling
Y2 Blue -Second Stage Cooling
G Green -Indoor Fan
W1 White -First Stage Heat
W2 Black -Second Stage Heat

(not sure for a Heat Pump)

I wanted to get one of these when I first heard about them, but I have a heat pump with a gas furnace (very common here). Was told they don't work with dual fuel systems...

I wanted to get one of these when I first heard about them, but I have a heat pump with a gas furnace (very common here). Was told they don't work with dual fuel systems...

I have a heat pump with gas. The only option I will loose is "emergency". I have only had to use it 2 times in th 5 years I have lived in my house. I wont miss it. Pop the cover off of your thermostat and compare your connected wires using the compatability section on the Nest site. You can even take a picture of you connections and email it to Nest and they'll let you know if you are compatable.

:eek: Are you serious? You need a new more efficient one.

heat pumps typically use the B or O terminal to energize the reversing valve.

most but not all heatpump reversing valves default in heat mode. so when your thermostat calls for heat (with a heat pump) Y or Y1 along with the O terminal are energized.

O terminal is reversing valve in cool mode +24 vac typical.

stimpson said:
I have a heat pump with gas. The only option I will loose is "emergency". I have only had to use it 2 times in th 5 years I have lived in my house. I wont miss it. Pop the cover off of your thermostat and compare your connected wires using the compatability section on the Nest site. You can even take a picture of you connections and email it to Nest and they'll let you know if you are compatable.

my new r410 A air source heat pumps produce decent heat down to 18F outdoor ambient.

i am an HVAC tech so i did my own installs. i paid close attention to airflow specs and refrigerant charge.

running goodman 14.5 seer units - one 4 ton and a 2 ton with 95% afue two stage gas furnaces.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)