Is Apple's iOS Dock connector going the way of the floppy drive?

I have always wondered how they got around the EU mandate of micro USB.

Was the mandate specifically for micro-usb? I thought it was just that manufacturers must use one connector type for their phones. Micro-usb was kind of a right place, right time fit for that.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

John Kotches said:
Was the mandate specifically for micro-usb? I thought it was just that manufacturers must use one connector type for their phones. Micro-usb was kind of a right place, right time fit for that.

I would not mind microusb except I think it's pretty miserable for accessory docks, just so small I always thought I'd end up breaking it with my droids.

But I doubt apple would use it.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I would not mind microusb except I think it's pretty miserable for accessory docks, just so small I always thought I'd end up breaking it with my droids.

But I doubt apple would use it.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

If they do change the docking connectors all of the "i" users will be up in arms while the accessory manufacturers while be dancing with joy ...

I've used docks with both my htc and Motorola phones without any issues.

i don't think apple would change to an "industry standard" connector, but i don't have any insider information either.

The rumors are of a smaller version of the existing dock, to make more room for the innards of the iPhone 5. But they are just that, rumors.

I hope that the iPad Next and iPhone Next have the same connector. Dreaming, I know.

Yes, I have an investment in chargers also. Maybe sell it all with the 3GS as a package. Gee- $10? :eek:

The easiest thing for Apple to do is to provide an adapter if and when that changes. This way all of our existing accessories and chargers will work with the new connector.

Well, if the iPad 3 changes its dock, I bet we can guarantee the iPhone 5 will. I am hoping it stays the same as what we have now. Simplicity.
Not only that. I don't want to have two different connectors for my devices. And I don't want to carry them around. I now have one in my car, one in my computer bag, one at work, and two at home. So whenever I need to plug in any of my iDevices there is a cord just about everywhere I am located.

Last edited:
Not only that. I don't want to have two different connectors for my devices. And I don't want to carry them around. I know have one in my car, one in my computer bag, one at work, and two at home. So whenever I need to plug in any of my iDevices there is a cord just about everywhere I am located.

Agreed. My car charger is just a universal USB adapter so all I would need is a new cable, but still, Apple should keep the dang thing the same - it has worked flawlessly for the past five or so years. Although they did change the power requirements so some of my earlier 3rd-party chargers stopped working with newer i-devices.

Well, at least the 30-pin connector did not go the apple-way of the dinosaur with the new iPad. And it should remain compatible with all of the accessories out there now.

I do not see the connector being a problem with the iPad, after all an iPad is pretty big. Perhaps the iPhone will eventually shrink it...

I do not see the connector being a problem with the iPad, after all an iPad is pretty big. Perhaps the iPhone will eventually shrink it...

Agreed, but when they make the switch I expect it will be for all current generation devices; the Apple way. I am hopeful the 30-pin one will remain.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)