Net Neutrality: What are Google and Verizon up to?

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
This has been on the tech front pages for a few days.
First the duo was accused of backroom deal making to kill net neutrality and later both denied anything of this nature
Google and Verizon sign net neutrality agreement, begin the end of net neutrality? (update: Google, Verizon deny claims) -- Engadget

Here is another take on this activity by Bob Cringely
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/08/opinion/08cringeley.html?_r=1
Google’s agreement with Verizon could very well be merely a way for Google to get its data closer to users, by dropping its shipping containers into Verizon data centers, or perhaps their parking lots.
...With servers so close to users, Google could not only send its data faster but also avoid sending it over the Internet backbone that connects service providers and for which they all pay. This would save space for other traffic — and money for both Verizon and Google, as their backbone bills decline (wishful thinking, but theoretically possible). Net neutrality would be not only intact, but enhanced.
...Why wouldn’t the companies just tell us what they’re up to? If my guess is right, then I would think they’re silent because it’s a secret. They’d rather their competitors not know until a few hundred shipping containers are in place — and suddenly YouTube looks more like HBO.

Sounds plausible...

Diogen.

If Google were an ISP they would have one of the largest networks in the US. Their standard practice is to put cache servers in all the datacenters they can around the US connected with their own fiber network.

I believe this is what they are trying to avoid at all costs, i.e. being an ISP. Better: being treated as an ISP.
Or a telecom: recall a few months ago ATT tried to claim they are one with their GoogleVoice service.

One simple reason: vulnerability to government regulation!

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts