Netflix CEO: Will Charge 'premium' For Blu-ray Discs

Yepp, I hope everyone did not think BB's new found blu love was going to be free :).

Its actually fine with me, I understand the issue and I really do like netflix. As long as they keep up with demand, Ill pay more.

OK by me as long as it's a reasonable/small increase and they acually purchase more BD copies so they don't sit in my queue in either long or very long wait status.

Sounds to me like there will be NO more netflix in my future. IF Blue Ray is the new medium we are all supposed to switch to then why charge more for it? THat just encourages people to go to the competition or to go back to dvd because of price issues.

I think what some people continue to forget is what DVD cost in the early years. Why is it going to be different this time?

I had Netflix back when they only shipped from CA and it took a week to get movies. Was paying in the $20's for 3 out. Now that number is substantially less, and they want a bump for a new format. Fine with me, because it costs them to stock both. Until BD has enough penetration, its just gonna cost more. I'd rather Netflix charge a little more and give me good stock of newer movies, especially if it keeps them from going out of business.

My local Blockbuster only carries at most two copies of any BluRay titles. I have been going in every week since it was released and have not been able to get a copy of I Am Legend on BluRay. I finally watched it on HD PPV last night for $5.99. If they charge extra for a BD title, and guarantee that they have enough copies in stock, it would be worth it.

If the discs cost more there probably isn't a choice (we knew they cost more to prodce). They also seem to be more delicate (I've have a number of blu's that wouldn't play).

It just better mean that they will get more copies.

If the increase the copies and keep the "premium" to less than $2, then I'll stay. Otherwise, I'll just cancel. it's summer time, so I watch less movies now anyways. Then when winter comes around, they'll send me a flyer like they did last time, with a special code to get discount pricing to re-open my account.

I think they would be smarter if they don't follow suit. That would get them some of the unhappy Netflix customers.:eureka

That would definitely give them a marketing advantage to not charge the BD premium, especially since there is no advantage for BD users to get their Total Access service since most Blockbusters still don't carry BDs (though that's supposedly changing) and the ones that do, can't keep any of the popular titles on the shelves. (as mentioned by dlsnyder)

I dumped Netflix the week they poured salt on the wounds of their HD DVD customers. (Blockbuster quietly sort of did the same thing, but they didn't beat their chests about it.) I saved $1/month by going to Blockbuster. I miss Netflix's better selection of indy movies and their willingness to rent NC-17 material. That's it. I don't miss their long wait times at all!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts