Netflix comes to the Hopper with Sling

I got a kick out of those that said they don't like switching inputs. To me it's no different than changing channels.

It is also a convenience that you don't have to use a separate remote control. I am less than impressed with this first "try" at Dish Netflix. Hopefully they will fix the 5.1 Dolby and 1080p issues in a few months. It shouldn't have been released until it was ready for Prime Time.

Now since they did this they should give me a discount for subbing to Netflix's streaming again cause I turned that crap off when they split a few years ago. I wasn't paying for two different services and the content on streaming was barely DVD quality when I want Blu-Ray quality so I'll just stick to the disks.

It is also a convenience that you don't have to use a separate remote control. I am less than impressed with this first "try" at Dish Netflix. Hopefully they will fix the 5.1 Dolby and 1080p issues in a few months. It shouldn't have been released until it was ready for Prime Time.
90%+ of users won't care about 1080p and 5.1 and half of the ones that think they care won't know the difference. Waiting for release for a relative handful of techies would be the wrong decision.

Reactions: ChadT41
90%+ of users won't care about 1080p and 5.1 and half of the ones that think they care won't know the difference. Waiting for release for a relative handful of techies would be the wrong decision.
Rest assured, Dish/Netflix no doubt considers this an acceptable loss !

How many households have 5.1 sound ? 5% ? 10% ?

What bandwidth is required for 1080p streaming ? Remember, the average household has 'standard' internet from a cableco, which is probably in the 10-15Mb range, or DSL, which is 3-6Mb. Most people do not have 50Mb cable internet.

Reactions: ChadT41
My guess is that at least 25 percent of Dish Subscribers who have Netflix and H

What bandwidth is required for 1080p streaming ? Remember, the average household has 'standard' internet from a cableco, which is probably in the 10-15Mb range, or DSL, which is 3-6Mb. Most people do not have 50Mb cable internet.

I don't know where you are getting your "facts" from. Per Roku, you just need 6Mb internet to get 1080p. And my guess is 25 percent of people watch HDTV in 5.1 or 7.1 Surround.

I don't subscribe to Netflix, but I've really been thinking about it lately. But I have a question on how it works among different devices. From my understanding, you can put shows you plan to watch into a "que" for later viewing. Is that correct? And if I put several shows in que from my Apple TV for example. Will they still be shown in que from the hopper (or any other device for that matter)? Is there a limit on how many shows or movies you can put in que? And I assume they disappear from the que after watching the show?

Que may not be the correct word. But you get the point. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, once you add a show to your "list" it is in that list for any device you use to watch netflix. Not sure on the limit to shows you can add.
They have some fantastic original series that make it worth it. House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, and Marco Polo are all excellent.

I just checked and my list currently has 106 shows and movies in it. I'm not aware of any limit but if there is one I have never hit it as a subscriber since 2008. Like msmith said, your list is the same across all your devices. I mostly use it on an Apple TV and a Roku but I occasionally use an Xbox One too so it's convenient to have a consistent system across all your devices. Shows do not automatically disappear from your list when you watch them. It's easy to do directly from the device though. On the Apple TV it's just one button press when you are looking at the show/movie.

You can also have multiple profiles under one account. Setting up multiple profiles is basically like having multiple accounts but you only have to pay for one. Each profile gets their own list and recommendations based on their viewing history and what they ratings. I let my sister use my account at her house and except for the fact that I occasionally have to select which profile I want to use I would never even know she is using my account. I'm not sure how many profiles you can have active because I only have two setup on my account. I know I still have the option to add more.

The only caveat with all of this is that the standard plan only allows you to have two streams active at a time. It doesn't matter how many devices you have your account setup on. Between all the electronic devices I have around the house my Netflix account is probably signed into around 10 devices. The limitiation is just that only two devices can be actively watching something at the same time. The sell a "premium" plan for $11.99 that bumps that limit up to 4 active streams and gives you access to 4K content but that's probably not necessary for most people.

Now since they did this they should give me a discount for subbing to Netflix's streaming again cause I turned that crap off when they split a few years ago. I wasn't paying for two different services and the content on streaming was barely DVD quality when I want Blu-Ray quality so I'll just stick to the disks.

Not sure why Dish would care whether you subscribe to Netflix or not. You pay Netflix directly for your subscription no matter which device you use it on. Dish won't be getting your subscription fee. Also, I'm not sure why your quality was bad. Yes, it's below blu-ray quality but the 1080p streams are higher bitrate than actual Dish TV and in my opinion it shows. Depending on the content, Netflix clearly looks better than Dish picture quality. The Netflix original series Marco Polo, in particular looks amazing. House of Cards also looks very good.

From what I have read, the highest bitrate Netflix 1080p streams use is somewhere between 6Mbps and 8Mbps. I think the 4K streams use around 12Mbps. Anyone with a solid connection over 10Mbps should be set for 1080p.

From what I have read, the highest bitrate Netflix 1080p streams use is somewhere between 6Mbps and 8Mbps. I think the 4K streams use around 12Mbps. Anyone with a solid connection over 10Mbps should be set for 1080p.

If anyone cares, these are the actual bitrates/resolutions that Netflix is currently using:

GB / hr Bitrate Resolution Pixel Aspect Ratio
2.610 5800 Kbps 1920 x 1080 1:1
1.935 4300 Kbps 1920 x 1080 1:1
1.732 3850 Kbps 1920 x 1080 1:1
1.350 3000 Kbps 1280 x 720 1:1
1.057 2350 Kbps 1280 x 720 1:1
0.787 1750 Kbps 720 x 480 32:27
0.472 1050 Kbps 640 x 480 4:3
0.337 750 Kbps 512 x 384 4:3
0.252 560 Kbps 512 x 384 4:3
0.169 375 Kbps 384 x 288 4:3
0.106 235 Kbps 320 x 240 4:3

Sorry! I can't figure out how to format the above list. The spaces that I inserted get removed when I post the above chart.

Reactions: TheKrell
I would think that Dish and other Netflix providers get a per download fee directly from Netflix, similar to how the church's and shopping channels pay to have Dish carry their signals. Dish does nothing for free.

Right now it takes about 8 hours for us to download an HD movie from BB@H on the Hopper. If we subscribed to Netflix on the HWS would that time improve? 1.5 DSL.

You guys must be pretty remote - and here I thought my 7 mbps was the worst ISP among those here. I'm not sure Netflix would work for you as you don't have the option to 'download' the movie on to a drive, but rather must stream to watch - Netflix 'adapts' it's stream to what your ISP can do with varying degrees of quality. As Tony S posted above, you really need at least 6 mbps to make it work as intended.

Right now it takes about 8 hours for us to download an HD movie from BB@H on the Hopper. If we subscribed to Netflix on the HWS would that time improve? 1.5 DSL.

Like Mitch said, Netflix doesn't download to internal storage. It only streams. If your connection isn't a steady 6Mbps or higher you won't be able to watch their highest bitrate 1080p streams. The chart a few posts back shows what quality you will get at all the different speed levels.

My sister has 1.5Mbps fixed wireless at her house. Her and her husband watch Netflix every night since they don't have cable. It usually looks ok but sometimes looks blurry for a few seconds when it's not able to keep the buffer full. Even when she is getting the best possible picture with her speeds it looks noticeably worse than my setup.

My suggestion is to take advantage of the free 30 day trial and see if the quality with your connection is acceptable to you.

Last edited:
It would not stream at HD, but you should get a decently reliable 480p stream with that. While at our camp I have tethered my phone with verizon 3g before they lit up lte and at best that was the speed it got and it was fine. Obviously faster will give you a better quality stream, but you can use it.

My guess is that at least 25 percent of Dish Subscribers who have Netflix and H
Hard to believe the number is anywhere close to 25%. Maybe if you include everyone with any sort of soundbar/sound system connection you could reach 25%.

Even then, many of those that think they care and have the systems in place probably don't really know the difference, and of those that know better, for most its only on one TV in the house.

But even assuming the 25% number all care zealously and are all potentially new Netflix subs, why delay it for the overwhelming majority?

You guys must be pretty remote
He/she has DSL and it is very distance-limited. You don't have to be "remote" at all. Many years ago, no DSL service was available at an apartment my wife and I lived in and we were very much in town. We were simply ~5 miles from the phone company's 'central office'. This was long before the phone company started building 'remote terminals'.

As Tony S posted above, you really need at least 6 mbps to make it work as intended.
That is only for "HD" quality. This page indicates that 0.5Mb/s is all that they "require".

Hard to believe the number is anywhere close to 25%. Maybe if you include everyone with any sort of soundbar/sound system connection you could reach 25%.

Even then, many of those that think they care and have the systems in place probably don't really know the difference, and of those that know better, for most its only on one TV in the house.

But even assuming the 25% number all care zealously and are all potentially new Netflix subs, why delay it for the overwhelming majority?
I meant that 25 percent of Hopper w/ sling owners have 5.1. Not ma and pa with an old SD receiver and no DVR. People with Hopper w/ sling usually are tech-savvy and first adopters.

People with Hopper w/ sling usually are tech-savvy and first adopters.
If Joe Smith calls Dish to get service and wants a DVR, I'm certain they'll get a Hopper (w/ Sling - the non-Sling isn't provided anymore, according to the technician who installed my HWS just yesterday).

Reactions: JM42

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)