Error code 890-Wrong connection for SyFy, other channels

rtperryal1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2006
For about a month I have not been able to receive about 6 or 7 channels, including SyFy and Bravo. I get a pop-up screen/error code 890 about the digital connection to this TV does not support HDCP. I have component ("red,green,blue") connecting to the TV and never had a problem until recently. DISH tech support says they increased the bandwidth on these channels recently and that this is a bug in the software and are working on it. I couldn't find any discussion about this elsewhere on the forum. Anybody have any answers or steer me to a thread discussing this? Thanks.

For about a month I have not been able to receive about 6 or 7 channels, including SyFy and Bravo. I get a pop-up screen/error code 890 about the digital connection to this TV does not support HDCP. I have component ("red,green,blue") connecting to the TV and never had a problem until recently. DISH tech support says they increased the bandwidth on these channels recently and that this is a bug in the software and are working on it. I couldn't find any discussion about this elsewhere on the forum. Anybody have any answers or steer me to a thread discussing this? Thanks.

NBC and their networks just added HDCP to their cable channels, and that has become an issue for a lot of customers, used to be only premium channels like HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, etc.

Zach is right, should not be happening if you have the RGB cables connected, it's normally only something that shows for HDMI connections. Try to reset the receiver (unplug, wait 10 seconds, plug back in) and see if that helps.

IF you still have an HDMI cable just plugged into the back of the VIP722k receiver and hanging there, even if it's not connected to the tv set it's possible it could cause this issue.

Unplug it completely, and see what happens. You can also do the following in the systems menu:

Push these buttons in turn, Menu, System Setup (6), Diagnostics (3), Analysis, then HDMI Test. IF the "Reset Hdmi" button is lit up, push it for a reset. If not, is there anything in there that does anything for you? I'm not sure what it'll do without an HDMI cable connected, but it's worth checking.

I want to thank all of you for your interest and suggestions. What I didn't mention before....because I didn't want to confuse the matter....is that I have an HDMI cable running back to my bedroom connected to a 2nd TV. And that if I had this 2nd TV turned on, I could access these blocked channels on my main TV connected by the RGB cables. I don't like having to do this, but it is a simple remedy for the time being. So, taking a clue from that, I did just what primestar31 suggested...I unplugged it from the back of the receiver. Yes, that removed the block, also. So, this confirms the HDMI cable is the problem. This seems counter-intuitive to me... isn't HDMI is the more recent and the more widely accepted/popular way to connect HD devices? Anyway, I wonder if, and when, DISH will develop a software fix for this. In the meantime, I guess I will continue to turn on both TVs to watch my large screen in the living room, since access to the back of my receiver is less convenient for me.

Thanks, again to all of you for your replies and suggestions!

I'm just going on what the DISH tech support guy who said it was a software issue. He seemed to be quite certain of his statement. Besides, if my TV (2008 Panasonic) wasn't HDCP compliant, why do I receive the stations on my large screen when I remove the HDMI connection from the receiver? If the problem receiving these handful of channels and premium channels (future channels??) has to do with an HDMI connection, as it appears to be, then I would think it would be a step backwards for DISH to expect those customers with an HDMI connection and experiencing this problem to either find their RGB wires they have stored somewhere or to have to go out and purchase new ones. A software fix would seem to be the most agreeable solution for everyone.

Just curious, does this occur with the HOPPER receiver?

Yeah, it does. Those networks entire protection on their channels. The channel in question is one that just had hdcp applied. I don't have this issue on my hopper but I also know for certain my tv is hdcp Compliant.

I want to thank all of you for your interest and suggestions. What I didn't mention before....because I didn't want to confuse the matter....is that I have an HDMI cable running back to my bedroom connected to a 2nd TV. And that if I had this 2nd TV turned on, I could access these blocked channels on my main TV connected by the RGB cables. I don't like having to do this, but it is a simple remedy for the time being. So, taking a clue from that, I did just what primestar31 suggested...I unplugged it from the back of the receiver. Yes, that removed the block, also. So, this confirms the HDMI cable is the problem. This seems counter-intuitive to me... isn't HDMI is the more recent and the more widely accepted/popular way to connect HD devices? Anyway, I wonder if, and when, DISH will develop a software fix for this. In the meantime, I guess I will continue to turn on both TVs to watch my large screen in the living room, since access to the back of my receiver is less convenient for me.

Thanks, again to all of you for your replies and suggestions!

Well, the whole idea of HDCP (High Bandwidth Digital Copyright Protection) is to keep people from copying digital content. That is why an HDMI cable can trigger it, it is a digital connection, allowing for a perfect copy. Using RCA cables, or red/blue/green cables is a lesser quality, and therefore not a problem.

My understanding is that the TV has to send a "signal" back, indicating that it is indeed a TV, and if that signal isn't received, it can trigger the 890 error, as what could be on the other end of that HDMI line could be some kind of recording device instead of a TV.

I believe the OP said that the second TV (connected with HDMI) was turned *OFF* when he gets this message on the primary tv (connected with Component / RGB cables).

This would be correct behavior. If the second TV is connected with HDMI but turned of, it isn't capable of reporting back to the VIP722K that it is copy protection compliant. Thus the error.

There are only two solutions. First, turn on the second TV. Or second, unplug the HDMI cable at the VIP722K.

The error will be shown on both outputs, however, if the HDMI cable is plugged in and the TV is turned off / not reporting copy protection compliance.

"Certitude" is "interesting."

I remember a sales critter in a Big Box retailer tell a customer that he was "certain" that after a few years a plasma TV would have to be recharged with more plasma.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I believe the OP said that the second TV (connected with HDMI) was turned *OFF* when he gets this message on the primary tv (connected with Component / RGB cables).

This would be correct behavior. If the second TV is connected with HDMI but turned of, it isn't capable of reporting back to the VIP722K that it is copy protection compliant. Thus the error.

There are only two solutions. First, turn on the second TV. Or second, unplug the HDMI cable at the VIP722K.

The error will be shown on both outputs, however, if the HDMI cable is plugged in and the TV is turned off / not reporting copy protection compliance.

I think you have it summed up about right, skierrob. I would think there are a lot of other DISH customers that are in the same situation as me. This has been the situation for me for about 6 weeks now and DISH doesn't seem to be in a hurry to address this issue. Maybe this is difficult to fix with a software patch, I don't know. I will call them again and try to get an update, but I'm not optimistic.

Skierrob has it right. I doubt a software patch or anything else that will change the behavior. The information you left out so we wouldn't get "confused" is the exact reason it is happening. If the HDMI cable is plugged in, and the TV it is going to is off, you are going to get that message because a handshake has to take place and it isn't.

I think you have it summed up about right, skierrob. I would think there are a lot of other DISH customers that are in the same situation as me. This has been the situation for me for about 6 weeks now and DISH doesn't seem to be in a hurry to address this issue. Maybe this is difficult to fix with a software patch, I don't know. I will call them again and try to get an update, but I'm not optimistic.

Its the chip in the TV..it has old firmware that can't be updated to support the newer copy rite protections

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Skierrob has it right. I doubt a software patch or anything else that will change the behavior. The information you left out so we wouldn't get "confused" is the exact reason it is happening. If the HDMI cable is plugged in, and the TV it is going to is off, you are going to get that message because a handshake has to take place and it isn't.

Its the chip in the TV..it has old firmware that can't be updated to support the newer copy rite protections

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using SatelliteGuys mobile app

I appreciate the informative explanations. But, none of this copy rite protection motive makes much sense. First, it is supposedly copy rite protected only if the digital HDMI connection is used on a non-compatible/older TV, right? But many people say there is not much difference in video quality between HDMI and R/G/B connections for 1080i broadcasts. I can understand that an HDMI connection to a TV with true 1080p or one with the new, increased screen resolutions would be better than R/G/B. But many viewers are looking at mostly 1080i broadcasts and that is not going to change very soon. Second, doesn't a newer TV that is HDCP compatible override the copy rite protection using an HDMI connection? The blocking of these NBC network channels at DISH has only been occurring for about a month or so but haven't HDCP compatible TVs been out for a couple of years at least? So, what good did it do for the NBC networks to do this? And why aren't any other networks/companies doing this with their channels?

If there is no software fix, it is just an small annoyance to me. I will just continue to turn on my second TV if I want to watch or record these channels. I could have this all wrong. But from the information I've read here, it does seem to be an unecessary...and inevitably unsuccessful... move by an unpopular network that has become an inconvenience to many cable and satellite customers.

I appreciate the informative explanations. But, none of this copy rite protection motive makes much sense. First, it is supposedly copy rite protected only if the digital HDMI connection is used on a non-compatible/older TV, right? But many people say there is not much difference in video quality between HDMI and R/G/B connections for 1080i broadcasts. I can understand that an HDMI connection to a TV with true 1080p or one with the new, increased screen resolutions would be better than R/G/B. But many viewers are looking at mostly 1080i broadcasts and that is not going to change very soon. Second, doesn't a newer TV that is HDCP compatible override the copy rite protection using an HDMI connection? The blocking of these NBC network channels at DISH has only been occurring for about a month or so but haven't HDCP compatible TVs been out for a couple of years at least? So, what good did it do for the NBC networks to do this? And why aren't any other networks/companies doing this with their channels?

If there is no software fix, it is just an small annoyance to me. I will just continue to turn on my second TV if I want to watch or record these channels. I could have this all wrong. But from the information I've read here, it does seem to be an unecessary...and inevitably unsuccessful... move by an unpopular network that has become an inconvenience to many cable and satellite customers.

I'd just say this. You have the right to set up that receiver however you like, but if you set it up like this, that you are running two TVs from the TV1 output, this is going to happen. If I understand correct, you're running an HDMI from the TV1 output and RGB cables from the TV1 output. Nobody can guarantee that you can run two TVs from the same output and not have problems. As others have noted, this is not a software issue. It's not something Dish can fix. Your TV connected with HDMI is off, and when it gets pinged, the HDMI cable is not reporting anything back from the TV, so the signal (ON TV1) goes to the 890 error. This is working the way the HDCP is supposed to work.

You talk like this is some huge inconvenience to so many customers, I doubt many outside power users that come here would have such a setup. Your setup is non-traditional, outside the box, and asking Dish to somehow resolve this makes little sense. Either turn the HDMI powered TV on, or disconnect the HDMI cable from the receiver. Those are the fixes.

A friend has the same issue with the rooms reversed. His bedroom TV can't view channels with HDCP if the living room TV is turned off. The problem is that the HDMI port in his TV reports back even if it is turned off, however when off the TV does not report that it is HDCP compliant. When the TV is on, it does report HDCP compliance. My friend found this information somewhere but I forget where.

You could probably verify this by looking at the HDMI status as seen from the Dish receiver. Check the HDCP status with the TV on then off.

I run HDMI through my A/V receiver. When off it does not do any HDMI handshake with the connected sources.

a new 32 inch HD LCD is $99 dollars at Walmart

I appreciate the informative explanations. But, none of this copy rite protection motive makes much sense. First, it is supposedly copy rite protected only if the digital HDMI connection is used on a non-compatible/older TV, right? But many people say there is not much difference in video quality between HDMI and R/G/B connections for 1080i broadcasts. I can understand that an HDMI connection to a TV with true 1080p or one with the new, increased screen resolutions would be better than R/G/B. But many viewers are looking at mostly 1080i broadcasts and that is not going to change very soon. Second, doesn't a newer TV that is HDCP compatible override the copy rite protection using an HDMI connection? The blocking of these NBC network channels at DISH has only been occurring for about a month or so but haven't HDCP compatible TVs been out for a couple of years at least? So, what good did it do for the NBC networks to do this? And why aren't any other networks/companies doing this with their channels.

You are making entirely too much sense. ;) NBC (and others') DRM is just a big annoyance to viewers, and does nothing to stop pirates. Of course content owners don't see it that way.

a new 32 inch HD LCD is $99 dollars at Walmart

I'm going to try for that deal, since it has a 1hr in-stock guarantee. But I'm afraid I won't be able to park near Walmart at 6PM, or if I can park and walk, that I won't get through the crush of people before 7PM. But... Since this is the first time Walmart has tried this... Maybe I'll get lucky.