Netflix comes to the Hopper with Sling

Interesting to see how it works... If it comes down through the satellite, it might be a great solution for those with slow internet, data limits or old TVs. I don't see any value for smart TVs with good Internet speed and data limits, not to mention 4k TVs. On My Sammy 4k, press the smart hub button, click on Netfix and it's all there and shows start in seconds - even 4k. Press the input button and I'm instantly back to the Hopper.
Now that I have a 4K TV I have to agree with you. But most at this time do not have 4K sets so this will suit most fine. Who knows what the future holds for 4K and DISH. I think next year is going to be an interesting year for 4K technology and programming.

good morning you guys i just heard the news about netflix app will this be on the hopper with sling?now i am waiting for tunein radio,slacker radio,Vevo and some more music channel apps this is so exciting i cannot wait until CES what else they are going to annouce god i hope it is more apps and more hd channels.

I too am gobsmacked. Is that a word? So, anybody know why only the 2nd gen Hopper can use this app?

I understand that the hardware is weaker but it would have been nice for us if the original Hopper got this too. My parents have two of them over at their house. They use a Roku I got them to share my Netflix and Amazon Prime accounts in their living room. It would have been nice for them to have Netflix access in the basement too. I guess the simple fix would be to just get them a Fire TV stick for $40.

Hey Scott, do you think this paves the way for other apps to be added - Amazon, WWE, MLB, etc?

Obviously I have none of the connections that Scott has but I think an MLB.tv app would be an obvious fit. Dish doesn't offer Extra Innings and it's something that Directv markets pretty heavily. Dish could point people in the direction of MLB.tv and advertise that it's available on their hopper and also costs less than Extra Innings.

Interesting to see how it works... If it comes down through the satellite, it might be a great solution for those with slow internet, data limits or old TVs.

Sorry, but it's for Internet connected Hoppers w/Sling only.

Dish Network brings Netflix into the box
Dec 17 2014, 10:04 ET | By: Clark Schultz, SA News Editor
Dish Network (DISH +1.1%) announces it has integrated Netflix (NASDAQ:NFLX) into its second-generation Hopper set-top box.
The company is the first major pay-TV provider to bring Netflix into the box.
Shares of Netflix are up 3.1% off the development.
http://seekingalpha.com/news/218353...-netflix-into-the-box?uide=8461831#email_link I can see more providers doing this!! imo :) Netflix may be hard to box out
Dec 17 2014, 11:32 ET | By: Clark Schultz, SA News Editor

Dish Network (DISH +0.6%) says Netflix might be integrated into the company's upcoming streaming subscription product and be part of its search functions.
The OTT programming package from the satellite company is set to include Disney Channel, Disney XD, ESPN, ABC, A&E, History, Lifetime, H2, HGTV, DIY Network, Food Network, Cooking Channel, and Travel Channel among other networks. Netflix access will require authentication.
What to watch: Media analysts think other online TV ventures will face more pressure to include Netflix (NFLX +3.6%) after Dish made its move. There could also be an impact on pay-TV operators (CHTR, CVC, TWC, CMCSA, DTV) if Netflix gets insides their boxes to cut into VOD revenue. http://seekingalpha.com/news/2183865-netflix-may-be-hard-to-box-out?uide=8461831#email_link
Previously: Dish Network brings Netflix into the box

Last edited:
Hey Scott, do you think this paves the way for other apps to be added - Amazon, WWE, MLB, etc?

We can only hope. I would love to see WWE Network come to DISH as a real channel at $14.95 a month and make the on demand stuff available via the Hopper in an app. This will give folks the WWE Network in places where broadband is not good.

Oh wow. Now this is cool. Give me Vudu and I'll have everything I need in 1 box

Vudu is owned by Walmart. And they only sell / rent movies, I would think that would cut into DISH's PPV revenues. While most of what is on Netflix is older stuff (not new releases) plus now exclusive shows.

Watch TV shows & movies anytime, anywhere.Plans from $7.99 a month.

TV shows & movies streamed instantly over the Internet
Watch Anytime. No Commercials. Easy to Cancel.

Choose the plan that’s right for you
Downgrade or upgrade at any time
Basic
Standard
Premium
Price after free month ends on 1/16/15
$7.99
$8.99
$11.99
HD available
Ultra HD (when available)
Screens you can watch on at the same time
Watch on your laptop, TV, phone and tablet
Unlimited movies and TV shows
Cancel anytime
First month free
Ultra HD only available on the 4 Screen + HD plan. High Definition (HD) and Ultra High Definition (Ultra HD) availability subject to your Internet service and device capabilities. Not all content available in HD or Ultra HD. See Terms of Use for more details.

We can only hope. I would love to see WWE Network come to DISH as a real channel at $14.95 a month and make the on demand stuff available via the Hopper in an app. This will give folks the WWE Network in places where broadband is not good.
imo I thing that is going to end up happening!! :)

Interesting to see how it works... If it comes down through the satellite, it might be a great solution for those with slow internet, data limits or old TVs. I don't see any value for smart TVs with good Internet speed and data limits, not to mention 4k TVs. On My Sammy 4k, press the smart hub button, click on Netfix and it's all there and shows start in seconds - even 4k. Press the input button and I'm instantly back to the Hopper.
This will generate Netflix subs. Many, many folks only use the one remote - even if they understand how, swapping inputs, finding the TV remote, etc is more trouble than they want. I've even been guilty of ordering Dish VOD/PPV because it's simpler, even though it would be a buck or two less through Amazon or Vudu (and I'm a cheap SOB).

For Dish the biggest upside probably getting a marketing partner for the OTT offering. Getting NuTV offers directly to all the Netflix subs is a huge deal.

Reactions: Stargazer
So, on the techie side, does this mean I need to have bridging on for the Joeys to work with this app (I'm assuming yes, as I needed bridging for Pandora to work)?

I have left bridging off as I thought it might be slowing down the Joeys (although I suspect it likely does not make a difference). The only apps we would use (Game Finder and Weather) did not require bridging.

I have had a Roku 3 since it came out and it would be hard pressed for any device to work as well as it does. Even my smart tv is much slower loading Netflix were the Roku is instantaneous. Nice to see it come to DISH.

I have had a Roku 3 since it came out and it would be hard pressed for any device to work as well as it does. Even my smart tv is much slower loading Netflix were the Roku is instantaneous. Nice to see it come to DISH.

I assume that streaming devices like the Roku and Apple TV will continue to be better options. Maybe things have changed drastically but my smart TV's streaming apps are so clunky and slow compared to devices built specifically for that purpose.

That being said, this is still good for both Dish and Netflix customers. It saves people from having to buy additional hardware and works with the same input and remote they are already using to watch TV. Even people with a standalone device may not have them in every room. This just allows those people to use Netflix on every TV even if they prefer the Roku on their main set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)