Netflix Hopper 3 Question

Or maybe it's inconsistent, because before the app reset, it was 10. I'll run it again a few and post what it says

Well, there hasn't been that many post on the Hopper Netflix app speed. But all that did, speeds were below 20 Mbps. I just did a speed test on both my H3s and both had high Hopper speeds and low Netflix speed, below 20.

I just tested mine. I am getting 30.87 off of my hard wired connection. My internet speed is 90.

Yes, did several Hopper 3 Netflix app resets. You are the only one that has posted their Hopper Netflix app speed above 25 Mbps. Maybe I have a Hopper issue.

You missed mine....

I have to come back to my original idea. Even though you have what appears to be slow speed on Netflix, do you get 4K programming and does it work well for you? I see that Scott is getting 20.57. Are you seeing 4K programming, Scott? I think there is something inherently wrong with the Netflix app with regards to speed measurement display. I've seen, over on AVS, several posts that indicate this because it is over many different kinds of receivers and providers. Bottom line, if it works, don't sweat it. If it doesn't, that is the time to work out the fix.

I have to come back to my original idea. Even though you have what appears to be slow speed on Netflix, do you get 4K programming and does it work well for you? I see that Scott is getting 20.57. Are you seeing 4K programming, Scott? I think there is something inherently wrong with the Netflix app with regards to speed measurement display. I've seen, over on AVS, several posts that indicate this because it is over many different kinds of receivers and providers. Bottom line, if it works, don't sweat it. If it doesn't, that is the time to work out the fix.

No, the 4K programming doesn't work. That was the whole point of this thread. The displayed speed by the Netflix app has been a discussion but it's not the main point, which is sometimes 4K shows are displayed and sometimes not. When they don't display it's because the app is reading speeds that are too slow to properly play 4K titles. The problem for many of us is we have plenty of speed, the Netflix app on the H3 just doesn't read it properly.

No, the 4K programming doesn't work. That was the whole point of this thread. The displayed speed by the Netflix app has been a discussion but it's not the main point, which is sometimes 4K shows are displayed and sometimes not. When they don't display it's because the app is reading speeds that are too slow to properly play 4K titles. The problem for many of us is we have plenty of speed, the Netflix app on the H3 just doesn't read it properly.
Well stated jasonh1965. A DIRT member has submitted the issue to Engineering so maybe it will get fixed. Netflix CSR says it is a DISH issue. Time will tell.

Reactions: pattykay
I don't think the Hooper itself displays properly, tbh

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have 90 MB/s service at home. 4K works most of the time, however other times the 4K shelf is missing.

I end up using the Netflix build into my Nvidia Shield most of the time, as it supports 4K HDR from Netflix and I never have an issue with it.

I don't think the Hooper itself displays properly, tbh
I thought of that too HipKat. But why does the Ultra HD 4K category doesn't show up sometimes and sometimes I get a little interruptions while playing a 4K program? Netflix recommends 25 Mbps and I am beginning to think the Hopper Netflix app speeds we are seeing are a true reading.

Reactions: HipKat
I always thought the 4K category not showing up was because I turned my TV on after I turned on the Hopper and it didnt get a 4K handshake.

Never thought about the internet speed.

If you aren’t running a real time bandwidth monitor on your internet connection, talking about your internet “speed” as reported by the Hooper 3 Netflix app at any given time of day is a waste of time. FWIW I run Peak Hour 4 on our Macs that provides me with real time graphs of the bandwidth/speed of our internet connection on our main wireless router every second.

We live in the country and depend on a local WISP for our unlimited, but slow, internet connection. We get the full 4Mbs we pay for in the AM, but it drops off pretty significantly later in the day. None the less, we stream Amazon Prime Video at 1080p every night with no buffering.

We no longer subscribe to Netflix. But if we did, I would not even consider using our Hopper 3 to access Netflix. I’d use our Apple TV like we do for Amazon Prime Video, etc.. Given the number of smart phones, tablets, smart TVs, set top boxes, etc. that Netflix supports, the Dish Hopper 3 app is probably pretty low down the software development/update food chain.

I always thought the 4K category not showing up was because I turned my TV on after I turned on the Hopper and it didnt get a 4K handshake.

Never thought about the internet speed.
It could vary well be a handshake issue. I turn on my TV/H3 at the same time. If it the Ultra HD 4K category isn't there I do a red button reset. Sometimes I have to do a pull the cord reset to get the category to show up.

After reading this thread, I decided to try the Netflix speed test that everyone is referring to. While in the Hopper Netflix app I pressed Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, Up, Up, Up, Up. Then, on the next screen I selected 'Check your network'. I got five green check marks next to the tests Netflix ran, However, I did not get any speed readings. How are you guys getting speed readings from this? Have I forgot a step?

I have a HWS.

Last edited:
After reading this thread, I decided to try the Netflix speed test that everyone is referring to. While in the Hopper Netflix app I pressed Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, Up, Up, Up, Up. Then, on the next screen I selected 'Check your network'. I got four green check marks next to the tests Netflix ran, However, I did not get any speed readings. How are you guys getting speed readings from this? Have I forgot a step?

I have a HWS.
The speed reading is right under the green check marks. Wonder why you aren't seeing it! Did you try a reboot? You can get to the speed test in the Netflix settings menu too.

The speed reading is right under the green check marks. Wonder why you aren't seeing it! Did you try a reboot? You can get to the speed test in the Netflix settings menu too.
After I ran the test the first time, I manually downloaded new software for my HWS (U703), and I tried the test again. I had the same result.

This is what I see when I run the Netflix test (ignore the reflections of my curtains and skylight):

NetflixTest.JPG

After I ran the test the first time, I manually downloaded new software for my HWS (U703), and I tried the test again. I had the same result.

This is what I see when I run the Netflix test (ignore the reflections of my curtains and skylight):

View attachment 134236
WOW, I don't know what to say Tony S. Here is what I see on my Hopper 3. Never had that happen before. Have you tried a Reload Netflix? Maybe call Netflix support and ask them.

Attachments

• Netflix Speed.jpg
    Netflix Speed.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 98
Wow! That is really weird. I wonder if I might have to actually use Dish's Netflix for a certain length of time before the speed will show up? (I mostly use my Fire Stick or Roku for Netflix viewing). As I said, I got the same result both before and after the firmware update.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)