Netflix is putting the hurt on prices!

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
pricegrid.jpg

Netflix going up even more, doubt it'll help long waits. The 3 out at time I had with BR was $21, now itll be $24. Sheesh.

The base price went up, has nothing to do with BR pricing. My 3 out at a time, with BR, just went from 21 to 24. It's BS AFAIC.

They stated more people stream than view DVDs from netflix. I wonder if Netflix is trying to force an exit from the DVD market.

I just dropped from 3 out at a time to 1 out at a time with Bluray.

I wish Netflix had 3D Bluray movies, but so far they don't. Some of these 3D flicks I want to watch only once and not buy them.

Is that with BR?? The price for DVD only went from 8.99 to 9.99, $1. So if you were paying $9.99 for BR and 1 out, you are now paying $10.99 :)

I love the message I got last month. They apologized for the problems I was having with streaming and it asked me to click on a link to activate a 30% discount for next month. Where will I spend those 27 cents?

I got the message too and I have 2 out at a time and might drop to 1 at a time.

I read that they are spending less on dvd purchases and more on streaming rights. That could explain the long waits. I simply went from 3 discs to 2 to avoid paying more. Honestly, we watch more streaming through Netflix now than satellite.

do they have a plan that does not include streaming? this would cut the cost down.
rural america with no high speed would benifit from this as a cost reduction device.

I still don't understand why anyone would want to stream a HD show and Netflix only offers stereo sound. I'll stick with Blu-ray rentals. Probaly cut the number out back account of the price raise.

Man, Ive tried damn near everything out there, and I always go back to BR. The PQ either stinks, or the AQ stinks, or both. Im with ya. I only use Amazon VOD for some shows I cannot get in HD elsewhere, and I do that on the Roku. If Vudu HDX had HD audio, it'd be interesting, but they don't. If I was gonna rent a movie in a bind, HDX would be it.

I've also given both mail services the boot and just went to price monitoring and buying discs when they hit the $15 range.

I've been on the Blu Ray Netflix one out at a time and due to turn around time what I find here is the best I can average is 2 titles per week unless there is a holiday during the week and then that week I can only get one title. This greatly limits my Blu Ray rentals from Netflix. With Block Buster I have 2 out at a time and the best I can manage here is 2 titles in Blu Ray per day. That's an average of 60 per month, holidays doesn't matter. Cost is $33. Netflix is 11.99 going up to $12.99. But with Netflix I average 5 titles per month.

$33 / 60 = $ .55 each Blu Ray or Game. with Blockbuster Plus advantage is 3-4 new releases in Blu Ray each week no 28 day wait.

$13 / 5 = $2.60 each Blu Ray per month. with Netflix. Plus advantage is streaming content to my xbox360 or PS3. Unlimited movies.

I pay $46 per month for each of these and have plenty of programming. I saved $50 off my Dish Network bill by dropping movie packages and AEP.

They're trying to push their streaming business model. When Netflix began operations recently in Canada, they didn't even offer a disc option - streaming only, so I'm suspecting the $1/month price increase + unlimited streaming is to "incentivize" (hate that word) subscribers to stream more and save on postage for discs. I prefer the BD experience and can only manage to view 1 disc per week anyway, so I'll absorb the $1/month increase without too much complaint. Beats the quality (or lack thereof) in streaming. Can't even get HD streams from them, so what's the point?

I've been on the Blu Ray Netflix one out at a time and due to turn around time what I find here is the best I can average is 2 titles per week unless there is a holiday during the week and then that week I can only get one title. This greatly limits my Blu Ray rentals from Netflix. With Block Buster I have 2 out at a time and the best I can manage here is 2 titles in Blu Ray per day. That's an average of 60 per month, holidays doesn't matter. Cost is $33. Netflix is 11.99 going up to $12.99. But with Netflix I average 5 titles per month.

$33 / 60 = $ .55 each Blu Ray or Game. with Blockbuster Plus advantage is 3-4 new releases in Blu Ray each week no 28 day wait.

$13 / 5 = $2.60 each Blu Ray per month. with Netflix. Plus advantage is streaming content to my xbox360 or PS3. Unlimited movies.

I pay $46 per month for each of these and have plenty of programming. I saved $50 off my Dish Network bill by dropping movie packages and AEP.

That turn around time really surprises me. Maybe it's because I live in the SF Bay Area near their corporate headquarters and initial distribution hub, but turn around time for me is 48 hours (one day in each direction). I also don't experience very many delays related to blurays that others have reported. The real advantage that blockbuster has is in-store trade ins (on weekends) and the lack of delay on new releases. However, whenever they ship something out, it typically takes them an extra day to get a movie to me as compared to netflix.

I have a free month offer, with my new Oppo, and the PQ is supposed to be good, so I may give the streaming only plan a try. I'd like to see them add more titles in HD for $8/month, but it is a work in progress.

dangue-

Here's the actual schedule we have here:

Fortunately, we have a Netflix distribution right here in my zip code but look at the way it is handled at the fastest turn:

Receive a disk Tuesday and watch on Tuesday evening. Mail in on Wednesday. NetFlix receives on Thursday and ships outnew disk and I receive on Friday. I watch Friday evening and ship out on Saturday. Netflix receives on Monday and ships out on MOnday and I receive in Tuesday. Cycle repeats. If there is a Holiday during the week, the cycle skips and I only get one disk that week.

At least 3 weeks during the month Netflix sends out the day after it receives returns which moves me to less than 2 per week and what has averaged here is 5 per month.

Can you explain how I might get more than 2 per week? OK there is one possibility that doesn't apply to me. IF I get my mail in the morning and watch the DVD immediately and ship it back the same day. Unfortunately, I receive mail late in the afternoon and could not watch before the post office closes that same day.

If the USPS does stop Saturday service, then I would be down to 3-4 per month.

I have the BR option but watch mostly streaming. I am off work permanently now due to disability, so I am able to watch my disc and get it back in the mail the same day. This allows me to get 3 discs/week as there is a distribution facility in my town and they ship the same day they receive. That's 12 BR's/month for $11, not bad. I watch a ton of streaming and have no problem with the quality, but my ISP right now can do no better than 3 Mb/sec, so I can't get HD quality from Netflix, but it is acceptable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)