Netflix is putting the hurt on prices!

Netflix game plan is to reduce availability of DVD and BD mail out media and go all streaming in 2011.
That would be really unfortunate. (And honestly, I don't see this happening in 2011.)
Blu-ray disks from Netflix offer us the best video and audio experience for our homes available today (second only to buying Blu-ray disks in the store).
Internet streaming doesn't even come close. Just look at the bitrates. Netflix is what? Around 3Mbps?
In comparison, most Blu-ray disks are well above 20 or even 30 Mbps. Even if Netflix offered much higher bit-rates, how many of us have Internet connection that can handle 30Mbps? ;)

Don't get me wrong. I love Internet video streaming! I just got a Roku XD|S box and I really enjoy it. I like being able to instantly access hundreds or thousands of movies. But I don't see this as a replacement for Blu-ray any time soon, for me anyway. I do watch some movies via streaming, especially those that are not available in HD, but mostly I use it as a quick way to browse and preview movies, so that I can decide whether they are worth ordering on Blu-ray.

Ten, or perhaps even five years from now, yes, I can see Internet streaming replacing the physical media. But definitely not in 2011!

In comparison, most Blu-ray disks are well above 20 or even 30 Mbps. Even if Netflix offered much higher bit-rates, how many of us have Internet connection that can handle 30Mbps? ;)
I think half as much would be more than enough.
Not saying the majority has a 10-15Mbps internet pipe, but it's an easier target.

Blu-ray is and will remain the source for ultimate audio/video-phile experience, i.e. will come at a premium.
I don't think its quality will ever be matched with streaming and I certainly hope nobody will ever attempt to waste bandwidth this way.

Talking about quality.
Consider a recent movie with a good digital master. Ideally shot with the RED. For example, The Social Network. Or The Book of Eli.
Make a 10GB version of the movie using x264 (or download from torrents). Mux in the core DTS 1.5Mbps soundtrack.
The compressed version will be 10-15Mbps depending on the length of the movie.
Compare with the original.

I'd say selling an average person on the superiority of 30Mbps+ BD original would be
the same as selling you and me on the superiority of $500 Monster HDMI cables, i.e. snake oil.
Especially the audio part. 4Mbps DTS-MA is wasted on 99.9% setups.
And I mean here people that know the difference between HDMI and composite and what multichannel means.

Watching a BD is a make-yourself-feel-good experience. You have every reason to say: this is as good as it gets.
Even if it is a simple DVD upconvert as Traffic or the sh!tty first version of the Fifth Element. On $100 5.1 speaker set.
Brainwash under the umbrella "I'm seeing it the way the director intended".

Diogen.

First of all, never judge the future by today's limitations of the technology. Netflix has already announced their plans for Streaming vs DVD mail business for 2011. They way this will be known to you as a DVD mail customer is fewer numbers of disks on new releases available. Your wait times will be longer. These same titles will be available on HD DD5.1 ( albeit lower bitrate and certainly not Blu Ray quality ) before the BD release will be available to you from your Netflix cue.

Another thing to consider is what the Netflix demographic is today. Many of them like HD but much fewer are audio and video connoisseurs with discriminating tastes. They just want to watch the content at a quality that looks average.

Another way to notice the move from media to streaming at Netflix will be a continuing increase in the price of the mailed DVD vs, the price of streaming. Netflix may continue to offer the DVD and BD by mail but those who get them will be required to pay for the cost as it increases over time.

Also not to forget the game changer in Netflix's plan will be Net Neutrality debate.

My primary movie service is Blockbuster Movie and Game pass. Blockbuster has easily double the new releases each week compared to Netflix, plus with Netflix the new releases are delayed. Considering the wait delay plus the studio delay, a new release with Netflix could take anywhere from 28 days to 3 months. What Netflix's draw has become is low cost for lots of content library. They can only maintain that low cost with eliminating high overhead. If you examined Netflix balance sheet it would become obvious they could increase their revenues and profits by dropping all the DVD inventory, cutting the streaming only accounts to $6 a month and charging $15 a month for BD one out at a time including streaming. You'd see a huge increase in subscribers and Roku sales at $6 a month.

With a 6mbps connection, and Vudu HDX, it would be hard for me to tell the difference between it and a BR, on my 58". Side by side, sure. The compression is there for middle range connections, but I still know a LOT of folks with 1.5 mbps plans. Many cant afford to drop $50-60 for higher speeds. Same folks that a 1 or 2 out at a time Nflix plan helps out.

Last edited:
I just bought a new Sony BD player with streaming capability. So, I plan to do Netflix streaming as soon as I get the new player setup. I kinda like the streaming idea because of the 4+ day turnaround on DVD's through the USPS. But, it'll depend on what quality I get. Hopefully, it'll be worth the money since I'm replacing my old Sony, non-streaming, BD player (after less than 2 years of use).

That would be really unfortunate. (And honestly, I don't see this happening in 2011.)
Blu-ray disks from Netflix offer us the best video and audio experience for our homes available today (second only to buying Blu-ray disks in the store).Internet streaming doesn't even come close. Just look at the bitrates. Netflix is what? Around 3Mbps?

Don't get me wrong. I love Internet video streaming! I just got a Roku XD|S box and I really enjoy it. I like being able to instantly access hundreds or thousands of movies. But I don't see this as a replacement for Blu-ray any time soon, for me anyway. I do watch some movies via streaming, especially those that are not available in HD, but mostly I use it as a quick way to browse and preview movies, so that I can decide whether they are worth ordering on Blu-ray.

Ten, or perhaps even five years from now, yes, I can see Internet streaming replacing the physical media. But definitely not in 2011!

Question please> Are you saying the BR you get from Netflix is not the same you would buy in the store?? And if so I would assume BB would be the same??

The rental discs are being stripped of xtra features. I could also see them only giving directors cuts and such to purchased discs in the future.

With a 6mbps connection, and Vudu HDX, it would be hard for me to tell the difference between it and a BR, on my 58". Side by side, sure.

I agree. Even in a "blind" comparison side by side, it would be very difficult to pick which is which.

Question please> Are you saying the BR you get from Netflix is not the same you would buy in the store?? And if so I would assume BB would be the same??

This has been true for quite some time. Not all studios are doing this but many are. For Blockbuster the disk is actually stated on the label- "Rental Only" and is in a gray printed label. The box has the Rental Only in big letters at the bottom. front cover. For Netflix BR the labels are bar coded around the center hub but I can't say for sure the content of the movie disk is different as I have not had the time to compare. In the BlockBuster Rental Only version, sometimes you'll actually see the menu list "Bonus Features" but if you select that you'll get a black and white message that comes up. "This feature is only included on the Retail version."

Now, in addition, I just brought home the movie new release "Devil" and it is an SD DVD, Not Blue Ray. IT also has the "Rental Only" limitations. This is the first time I have seen a Rental Only for regular DVD.

So, I guess this is a sign of things to come with DVD and BR rentals. What's next? Commercial breaks every 10 minutes like on the Learning and History channel?

I have Devil in BR in my cue with Netflix but it states Long wait which is the Achille's heal for Netflix. Their only solution is streaming and that's why I have them. When BB finally closes their doors Netflix is all we'll have.

dantheman77 said:

They are different sometimes, as others pointed out. But what I was actually referring to was not the difference in picture quality, but the additional disks with extras and also the booklets. Those things plus the fact that you have the disk readily available make the purchased disk a better overall experience than the same title rented from NetFlix or BB.

I must say I have no problems with Netflix PQ on the AppleTV I got for Christmas. The only thing I really wish for now is Subtitles or CC cause my wife is hard of hearing. As for turnaround times, if I watch one on the weekend mail it back on Monday I have the next one on Wednesday and if I mail it in by thursday I usually have another for the next weekend. I do miss extra features on the rental discs but if you take time to watch those and then maybe watch the film again with commentaries I would think you would only be able to turn around one a week. I compare the cost with a premium movie channel on Directv. I get probably 10 discs a month plus streaming from Netflix for around 10 bucks. HBO alone would cost me around 15 on DTV others are around 13 I believe. I think physical Blu Ray media will be around for quite a while since there are folks out there who will purchase discs because they love the movie and want to own it and all the extras also.

Well, like most I got my notice from NF yesterday about their price hike. Major hurt on prices. They are separating the disc and streaming services. My bill will be going up $5 a month. Now it will be $14.99 for 2 discs at a time plus $7.99 for streaming. Time to drop streaming. There just isn't enough compelling stuff (especially in HD), nothing new, and they have been plagued with streaming problems lately. Many of the titles on NF are also available as part of Amazon Prime.

S~

I'll do it this way in the existing thread. Dragging it from the depths.

A no-brainer for sure: bye bye streaming. Ironically Netflix has been trying to push streaming to save money on mailing discs, but it will actually be cheaper for me now to go from one to two out at a time and use the second disc for TV and the miscellaneous stuff I got from streaming.

Dropped streaming and kept 2 discs out. According to WSJ articles this week, the price increase has caused a very large number of subs to drop service. However, they still see the price increase as the future.

S~

I didn't care for them. NF has been more consistant, a few blips here and there, than BB ever was. I'll look at it again when/if Dish adds streaming to the service.

S~

I've tried them twice from this area. Longer mail time by a day, but movies with waits seem to ship anyways. Xmen first class shipped right on time.

Mail time is due to Netflix center here, vs the BB center one city over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)