Netflix is Raising Its Prices On HD-4K, Effective Now

Alas, by the time you assemble a reasonable library and figure in how much time and effort is required to watch what you want to watch when you want to watch it, the cost evens out long before the monthly fees gets close.

Taking a little bit of time to figure out what shows are on DTN on demand, Netfilx, Amazon, Hulu, CBS or HBO is worth the time to save $100 a month because it is so little time. I have found exactly ONE show that I am wanting to watch that has not been on one of those that I was watching before (Major Crimes). And I can buy the season for about $30. I think that I will stick with the streaming option.

Reactions: KE4EST
As a percentage of the current cost yes. As a percentage of most people's total income, no, it is likely so small that it doesn't cause a ripple
But if each of your various services increases their pricing by a dollar every so often and you subscribe to multiple services, it starts looking worse than a pay TV periodic increase.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Yes. It's psychological. Just like $.99 always sounds better than $1.
That's not it at all. This is a case where each of four or five services that make up your TV programming each raise their rates $1. As long as they don't all come at once, the cost-unconscious types won't give it a second thought.

That's not it at all. This is a case where each of four or five services that make up your TV programming each raise their rates $1. As long as they don't all come at once, the cost-unconscious types won't give it a second thought.

I always give price increases a thought but even with the increase this year ( Netflix), sooner or later increase (Vue) and no increase (Hulu) it is still about $50-60 less then the Cable/Sat. pay services.

I wonder what increase Dish / DirecTV / Cable has coming up soon.

I have three main services: PS Vue, Netflix, and Amazon. The latter two I would have regardless, unless I simply no longer find any value in having them year-round (I could drop NF during months I don't have time or anything to watch on it). So if PS Vue jacks its prices annually $10 for every $5 cable TV increase, then I guess in ten to fifteen years PS Vue will catch up with cable.

But if each of your various services increases their pricing by a dollar every so often and you subscribe to multiple services, it starts looking worse than a pay TV periodic increase.
It will take a LONG time for those increases to approach the cost of dish (especially when dish is increasing every year too).

I wonder what increase Dish / DirecTV / Cable has coming up soon.
I'm betting one or the other holds their pricing next year. DIRECTV if hemorrhaging customers at an alarming rate and DISH isn't doing much better. Collectively cable is probably bleeding worse than both but they will survive by providing pricey broadband for people to make use of their multiple streaming services. There are lots of local factors and at some point, the jurisdictions are going to want their pound of tax flesh from streaming services too.

I'm betting one or the other holds their pricing next year. DIRECTV if hemorrhaging customers at an alarming rate

Directv is now owned by Ma Bell, who could care less if people cancel or leave. Plus, based on another post elsewhere on this site, it looks like ATT eventually plans to dump satellite altogether, although I don't see how they can, when so much of the country doesn't have broadband access.

Reactions: reddice
I use to love Netflix, but when they changed their business model to focus resources on creating programming I started losing interest. Yes, some of their original content is good and compelling, but most of it is not. With them investing so much money in producing original content they have shrunk their library of TV shows and theatrical movies. They no longer allow you to search their library without an active subscription, and charging a higher rate for better quality stream is also frustrating. I prefer Hulu because of their extensive library of current and past TV shows.....and its only $5.99 a month now.

Reactions: reddice
We actually love the Netflix original programming. We spent the entire Summer watching various programs that way. Now that the network Fall shows are beginning to populate the guide we seem to be letting them stay on the DVR while we continue along with Netflix...

I use to love Netflix, but when they changed their business model to focus resources on creating programming I started losing interest. Yes, some of their original content is good and compelling, but most of it is not. With them investing so much money in producing original content they have shrunk their library of TV shows and theatrical movies. They no longer allow you to search their library without an active subscription, and charging a higher rate for better quality stream is also frustrating. I prefer Hulu because of their extensive library of current and past TV shows.....and its only $5.99 a month now.

This is the new M.O. when it comes to premium services. They're all trying to get in the game on "original content." Starz, HBO, all of them.

This is the new M.O. when it comes to premium services. They're all trying to get in the game on "original content." Starz, HBO, all of them.
And they are doing a fine job of it. The original programming I see on Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Starz, Amazon, etc. is just bette than most of the stuff we see from the networks and cable channels.

Reactions: Zookster and KE4EST
And they are doing a fine job of it. The original programming I see on Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Starz, Amazon, etc. is just bette than most of the stuff we see from the networks and cable channels.

I agree; I like Westworld on HBO and Ozark on Netflix. I don't like being able to "binge watch" shows, though. I like having it spread out over 10 or 12 weeks. Gives me something to look forward to and helps build suspense, but I suppose I'm in the minority.

I can't agree enough! It's like they don't have to follow so many rules or something.

I don't like being able to "binge watch" shows, though. I like having it spread out over 10 or 12 weeks. Gives me something to look forward to and helps build suspense, but I suppose I'm in the minority.

I love binge watching, have Friday off and ready to watch Stranger Things 2 all day, next month the last season of Longmire and The Punisher and probably a much more.

I agree; I like Westworld on HBO and Ozark on Netflix. I don't like being able to "binge watch" shows, though. I like having it spread out over 10 or 12 weeks. Gives me something to look forward to and helps build suspense, but I suppose I'm in the minority.

Unless a show is only available for a limited time (or you are trying to avoid spoilers in TV show discussion groups), no one is ever forced to binge watch.

I usually spread out my viewing of most Netflix, Amazon, HBO, and Hulu shows, unless I'm on a limited-time free trial. Or if it's really a dead time in the TV schedule (like during the holidays), I may watch 3-5 episodes of any given show in one week. But most shows, I watch one to two episodes per week. My biggest gripe is that individual episodes of Netflix originals aren't proceeded by a "previously on..." so my 50-year-old brain has trouble remembering things week to week, especially a show like House of Cards, which assumes you'll remember the name of some Senator from three seasons ago.

I really like how Hulu does offer a "previously on" prior to each episode of its originals. I'm on a two-month trial, but have been spreading my viewing of the Handmaid's Tale and 11.22.63.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)