Netflix now offers 3D titles to all ISP's with minimum 12Mbps.

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
For the past 2 days now I've been able to receive the new 3D titles offering from Netflix. For the past 6 months 3D and 4K movies have only been available to ISP's who signed up to their Open Connect servers. This made access to these titles in only a few cities in the nation. But now the service is wide open.

The service requires a 3D TV of course and only using a few devices. I use a PS3 and it requires the latest updated OS as well as the latest Netflix app installed.

Sony PlayStation 3 (connected TV must support 3D)
LG TV Series: LM6200, LM6400, LM6600, LM6650, LM6700, LM7600, LS5700, LS5750, PM4700, PM6700, PM6900, PM9700 May need new updated Netflix app to see the 3D offerings.

The titles are typical for Netflix, being older titles, not new releases.

I suppose you have to set the minimums to some degree, but 3D streams don't need 12mbps. I have watched 3D streams from VUDU back when I only had 6mbps just fine.

For the past 2 days now I've been able to receive the new 3D titles offering from Netflix. For the past 6 months 3D and 4K movies have only been available to ISP's who signed up to their Open Connect servers. This made access to these titles in only a few cities in the nation. But now the service is wide open.

The service requires a 3D TV of course and only using a few devices. I use a PS3 and it requires the latest updated OS as well as the latest Netflix app installed.

LG TV Series: LM6200, LM6400, LM6600, LM6650, LM6700, LM7600, LS5700, LS5750, PM4700, PM6700, PM6900, PM9700 May need new updated Netflix app to see the 3D offerings.

They call it Super HD but it's not 4k. They threw me off with their title too. What they are calling Super HD is just their highest bitrate 1080p signal. I am glad they opened up Super HD and 3D for everyone with a good enough connection though. They did this about a month ago.

I have been enjoying the Super HD streams on my Apple TV and Roku but haven't watched any of the 3D yet. I do have a PS3 but that isn't my main streaming device and the 3D titles only show up if you are on one of their compatible players. This means that there is no easy way to browse the 3D offerings without booting up the PS3 for me. If they had a list on their website so I could easily see if there is anything I actually wanted to watch I would have probably taken advantage of it by now.

Yes, and you can get Netflix 3D with lower bandwidth too, but not 3D 4K which is their highest streaming quality setting. BTW- the PS3 is still restricted to 720p on all streaming 3DHD content whether Netflix or Vudu regardless of what level Vudu you purchase. From what I understand, only those with the newest 4K LG TV sets can see the full Netflix quality. And, I don't know if that also requires the Open Connect too which is unclear from their website. LG happens to be the first to release the new Netflix Ap.

Last night I sampled all 42 3D titles and many ( about 15 titles )are full of glitches (unwatchable). Some titles are foreign language. There is no correlation between the 3D titles and 4K that have glitches. It seems some are just bad encoding. I watched a few all the way through that were flawless. Comparing Beowuf to the Blu Ray disk, the Netflix at 720P x 1280 was noticeably softer but good enough not to be annoying.

They call it Super HD but it's not 4k. They threw me off with their title too. What they are calling Super HD is just their highest bitrate 1080p signal. I am glad they opened up Super HD and 3D for everyone with a good enough connection though. They did this about a month ago.

I have been enjoying the Super HD streams on my Apple TV and Roku but haven't watched any of the 3D yet. I do have a PS3 but that isn't my main streaming device and the 3D titles only show up if you are on one of their compatible players. This means that there is no easy way to browse the 3D offerings without booting up the PS3 for me. If they had a list on their website so I could easily see if there is anything I actually wanted to watch I would have probably taken advantage of it by now.

Technically, the 4K being offered by Netflix is 3840x2160 will be listed as "Ultra HD" The "Super HD" you refer to Netflix offers has also been out for awhile. Unfortunately, the PS3 doesn't even get their Super HD, nor does the PS3 get the Vudu HDX. PS3 is limited to 720p x 1280 for the streaming HD content. The Netflix 4K content has been available on the Samsung 4K TV's since January using Open Connect servers.

Note- Reed Hastings, on 9/13 did announce the 4K content will be offered beyond the Open Connect servers beginning rollout in 2014 and expanding over the next 2 years. He recommended 15Mbs bandwidth for the 4K/3D content.

It may be limited to 720p for 3D but it isn't for their Super HD content. I am pretty sure the PS3 was the very first device to get 1080p and 5.1 streaming. Other players were phased in over time. I can't find anything on the internet about Netflix currently offering 4K to Samsung or any other brand. The only thing I can find is a booth where they were demoing it at CES in January. I can't find anything showing that it exists in the real world. The link I posted early says they are planning on offering it sometime in the next 2 years.

I went back to my saved link on Netflix from last January that described how to have your ISP contact them to activate Open Connect for the 4K and 3D content. It was dead. I did contact Comcast here and reached a senior engineer and was told Comcast had no intention in working with Netflix. :( I don't know of anyone ( consumer) who was able to get 4K 3D content since the consumer release of these 4K TV's was rare, if at all, but the Netflix streaming system did go live as early as Dec 2012 on their servers, about 3 weeks before CES 2013.

So, at this point- can you get Netflix 3D in Super HD ( 1080p) on your Apple Tv or the Roku Device? I've been considering replacing my PS3 with one of these smaller, cooler, quieter streaming players. What would you recommend? I don't have any interest in games.

4k movies won't be available for at least another 1-2 years on Netflix I believe.

I went back to my saved link on Netflix from last January that described how to have your ISP contact them to activate Open Connect for the 4K and 3D content. It was dead. I did contact Comcast here and reached a senior engineer and was told Comcast had no intention in working with Netflix. :( I don't know of anyone ( consumer) who was able to get 4K 3D content since the consumer release of these 4K TV's was rare, if at all, but the Netflix streaming system did go live as early as Dec 2012 on their servers, about 3 weeks before CES 2013.

So, at this point- can you get Netflix 3D in Super HD ( 1080p) on your Apple Tv or the Roku Device? I've been considering replacing my PS3 with one of these smaller, cooler, quieter streaming players. What would you recommend? I don't have any interest in games.

They are no longer requiring ISP's to join their Open Connect program to get their best streams. As long as you have enough bandwidth you can get the streams no mater who your ISP is now.

I have a Roku, Apple TV, and PS3 as well as an Xbox 360 and standalone blu-ray player that also streams Netflix. All of the devices I have are compatible with Netflix Super HD streams. The Apple TV and Roku are my main streaming devices because they are quiet, low power, and easy to use. Neither one of them supports 3D from any streaming services though. My blu-ray player supports Vudo 3D as well as blu-ray 3D but it doesn't support 3D from Netflix. There are very few devices that do.

According to the Netflix website only PS3 and certain LG smart TVs support their 3D streaming. Even if the PS3 is limited to 720p for 3D Netflix it's probably still your best bet. It does get the best non-3D Netflix streams available and it's one of the few devices that does support Netflix 3D.

Thanks, King3pj...

I will hold off on any purchase of the streaming boxes for now then. Hopefully, next year these devices will be compatible. I bought my daughter a Roku and know it is a great little box for streaming but haven't looked at it at her house for some time. Besides, she doesn't have 3D TV. her MIL has an Apple TV box, probably the same one as yours and I do know that it will work on You Tube 3D as she has my 3D channel set up as a favorite and we watched some of my productions in 3D at her house. She doesn't have Netflix so no chance to test it.

In comparing notes with other Netflix 3D enthusiasts over on AVS Forum, it appears that the PS3 is not working the best of all the compatible ways to watch. There are a number of titles that are suffering some severe stuttering and what looks like left right sync issues when viewing with the PS3 app. I have checked some of them out and confirm the problem.
Another poster made a list of the problem titles and filed a complaint with Netflix already:

Plankton Invasion 3D
Mummies secrets of the Pharaohs IMAX
Legends of Flight IMAX
Arabia IMAX
Scary Tales
Shark Night
Dino King
Wild ocean IMAX
Dinosaurs Alive IMAX
Dinosaurs Giants of Patagonia IMAX
Live Fire
Oscar's Oasis
Grand Canyon
Ultimate G's: Zac's Flying Dream
Angelo Rules 3D
Skeleton, Inc.
The Ultimate Wave Tahiti IMAX

These same titles all play fine on the compatible LG sets according to other users. I wonder if it is an encoding issue or 720P compatibility problem on these titles. The LG TV's do not seem to be restricted to 720P either. Whatever the problem is, I'm sure Netflix and Sony will get it fixed once they realize they have the problem. It does not appear to be an ISP or bandwith problem either as some of us with the issue have plenty of bandwidth and are on different ISP carriers.

BTW- Back on the 4K topic- If you were considering getting into 4K soon, the content is now also available from Sony via internet download and their subscription service. You have to buy their server for $699. They claim to have over 100 movie titles available now and it appears first run movies from Sony Pictures are also available.

Personally, I'm in no hurry for 4K. I'll be going to CES again and hope to see what's new. Glasses free 65" 4K should be hitting the market next spring too. I think since Netflix has had their 4K server working for nearly a year now I doubt 1 to 2 years away is realistic, but rather extremely bearish. After all last January, bears were predicting Netflix would 1. never have 3D streaming, and 2, if the did, it would be 3-5 years away. Glasses free TV was estimated to be 10 years away. The smart estimates should be sooner as opposed to later. I think when more 4K TV's are sold, Netflix will release it's 4K app for all ISP's, not just the Open Connect compatible ISP's. Open Connect was a good way to test the system but availability on regular distribution channels is where it will end up, just like Super HD and 3D.

The Sony 4k server is only compatible with a Sony 4k tv and soon to be 4k Sony projectors.
Someone at AVS demoed glassless 3D on a 4k tv and were very impressed the first time they tested.
He said the 2D to 3D was very real looking. The second time he tested an updated version of the same product he was even more impressed. Hopefully this product is ready to hit the market soon.

It's strange that the PS3 would only support 3D streaming in 720p. I use it all the time for blu-ray 3D and it works great in 1080p.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes, I've been following the growth of Ultra-D TV for 2 years now. I haven't seen their latest but am excited they think their move to Market will be early next year. When I spoke to their CEO, he said they were partnering with HiSense. But, they were looking to license the technology with other high volume TV makers too.

King- Yes, in fact when I heard that I was surprised a couple years ago when Vudu went live. Sure enough, the TV switches to 720P with Vudu and now also with Netflix. Yet, the BD are 1080 24p. I have no idea why the limitation.

Are they planning on renting 3D Blu-rays in the mail anytime soon?

Have not heard a word on hard media rentals except for latest revenue reports to stock holders. mail order business is now down to 1/11 of the streaming business on revenue. It's going in the direction Reed Hastings and stock holders want it to.

Also on Vizio TVs

Netflix mentions PS3 and select LG TVs on their website as the only devices that 3D content is available. Even a customer rep told me the same thing. But I can confirm that I can access it on my Vizio M series TV. So I am assuming, there could be other TVs too which are not listed.

NF no longer requires Open Connect for SuperHD and 3D. All players with the new/current app can access either. My BDT230 will access SuperHD and 3D, but 3D locks up the player after about 3 minutes.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts