Netflix now offers 3D titles to all ISP's with minimum 12Mbps.

Neither Roku nor Apple TV have the newest NF app. Don't know if only the newest ROKU will receive it, or previous versions, also.

S~

I meant to mention that super HD from Netflix works on both the Apple TV and Roku. The Roku's Vudu app doesn't support 3D like the PS3 does either so it might not be compatible with 3D.

Update on the Netflix 3D experiments.

Using my PS3, today I could no longer log into Netflix. Had to download and update a new app. When I did the 3D category was gone and all but one 3D title was gone. Also all the Super HD selections were gone. Seems they are still treating us and the 3D and SuperHD like we're lab rats, er... beta testing. The remaining 3D title would not load past 15% either.
Not sure if this is a Netflix issue or Sony PS3 issue. For 2 weeks all titles had been playing great so I don't know what the problem was. I managed to watch through all the main programs and began to watch the selection of British 3D TV show production episodes. Now those aren't even available in 2D.

My Netflix experience support just a few minutes ago.

You
Juan- I was very pleased to begin seeing 3D titles on Netflix in November on my PS3. But you removed them this past weekend. Can you tell me when they will return? The quality was fantastic here and we really love 3D.

Netflix Juan
Nice to meet you Donald! But i am glad that you are enjoying the 3D feature! But let me take a look to see what happened to the great 3D titles.

Netflix Juan
Okay I see what is going on! So it looks like there where multiple customers that where experiencing some issues with 3D content so our content team and the producers removed the titles off our library so they can be able to work with them. Now no worries we will be getting the titles back and we are also working on getting a lot more 3D titles added to our library, So give us some time and we will be getting the titles back so you can be able to go back to enjoying them smile.gif

You
Thank you Juan for checking into the future of 3D for your Netflix 3D fans. I'm pleased with all you do and look forward to the new titles as well as the great ones you already offered. I repeat, the last two weeks you had the 3D working for us the quality was perfect. We have Comcast cable here so internet speed hasn't been an issue. Thanks again.

Netflix Juan
No problem Donald it was a pleasure! The 3D streaming is a pretty new feature that even some streaming services do not offer so we are working on a way to make it as best as we can for our customers that take good advantage of it. But we are here for you and will be working really hard to get this issue fixed and once we get the titles back available they will be back in for you to enjoy smile.gif

I decided to use this chat session as opposed to phone call so I could copy and paste it here for our 3D fans to see what is going on.

I bet it was too many calls into the call center with 3D issues. Probably people complaining that they cannot see 3D on their 2D sets...

I bet it was too many calls into the call center with 3D issues. Probably people complaining that they cannot see 3D on their 2D sets...

Agree that some consumers are really thick, but Netflix did have the usual warnings and advisories on what was required to watch the 3D and then gave you a final Yes NO choice on 3D or 2D version just before it started.

What it first went live in October only a few titles did not stutter and many of us complained, most using the PS3. But by Nov 14, they seemed to have all the titles fixed with a new app on the PS3. I had two weeks of flawless 3D until they updated my app again on Thanksgiving day and then only one 3D title was left and that didn't play.

Is there any other way besides PS3 to watch 3D from Netflix? Is it coming to Roku?

Is there any other way besides PS3 to watch 3D from Netflix? Is it coming to Roku?

There are a few blu-ray players that support it but I don't think any current Rokus support 3D from any streaming service. I know the Vudu app on Roku doesn't have 3D either even though it does on PS3.

Wealth TV 3D channel works just fine on my old Roku XD/S.

Wealth TV 3D channel works just fine on my old Roku XD/S.

I stand corrected. That must mean the hardware is compatible with 3D. If that is the case, I wonder why Vudu and Netflix chose to exclude the Roku from 3D content. If it is ever added the Roku would probably replace my Apple TV in the main TV room.

It works, though it's not true HD quality, since the left and right images are sent side-by-side.

P.S. I can also enjoy Don's 3D videos off YouTube via Roku! :up :up

Ilya- How easy is YT to navigate on that Roku? Model? Please compare to using a computer. I really need an easier interface for YT in my HT. PS3 works but it is awkward.

I'm also thinking that Netflix will be developing more 3D compatible apps for Vizio and Roku beyond their basic PS3 and LG TV's. Just a matter of time.

Ilya- How easy is YT to navigate on that Roku? Model? Please compare to using a computer. I really need an easier interface for YT in my HT. PS3 works but it is awkward.

I'm also thinking that Netflix will be developing more 3D compatible apps for Vizio and Roku beyond their basic PS3 and LG TV's. Just a matter of time.

I don't think Roku has an official youtube channel. At least I haven't been able to find one. I think I remember hearing about a way to get youtube access through private channels but I haven't messed with that.

My Apple TV does have a nice youtube app built in though. It is very clean and easy to see my youtube subscriptions. I don't know if youtube 3D content works on the Apple TV though. I have never seen any 3D content from any app on the Apple TV.

Last edited:
I don't remember how I installed it. It was long time ago. It probably was a private channel. I have Roku XD/S.
The navigation is very bad! I stay away from it. But at least I can search YouTube for something like "Don Landis" :D
Most of Don's 3D videos play fine, but not all: some refuse.

I know YT 3D works on the Apple TV box. I tested it with my channel and set it to a favorite for my MIL. But we had to manually set her 3D TV to SBSh to view the 3D content.

Illya- Can you tell me which titles did not play? I have a few that are in 2D only. Some are private but I thought you wouldn't see those unless I gave you the private link. Also, YT sometimes has flagged my videos for copyright violations but all up there have rights contracts paid or are creative commons, like live street music recorded in the public fair use provision. YT uses a robot that flags music until you provide the legal cue sheets. When they do, I get notified there is a claim made on my content. If I ignore the claim they will delete my sound track. I've had a couple like that and when I got around to sending in the cue sheets, the sound track was restored. I also make a habit of spot checking older titles to be sure they haven't messed with any. Anyway- thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

Don, I'll have to check again. I remember Allure was one of those that didn't play on Roku. It played fine on my OPPO player though, so I don't think it's YouTube's fault. Most likely a buggy app on Roku.

There should be two versions of the Allure cruise. I put a 2D version up because I got several people on Cruise Critic who couldn't figure out how to disable the 3D mode so I just made up a Left eye only version and uploaded that.

I will be uploading another of Bellagio Gardens, probably tomorrow. This one I shot with my professional Panasonic 3D camera. It is a 3 chip x2 and shoots in 24fps at full HD. The color is very saturated. The detail on my Vizio passive is impressive, compared to my consumer grade 3D cameras.

After being down for technical reasons since just before Thanksgiving, Netflix 3D is back up again with over 44 3D programs. I'm getting it with a PS3 and 15Mbs download speed to the PS3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)