Amazon crashes two Roku's and isn't so "smart!"

radio

"On the Air" in MI
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2007
West Central Michigan
Okay, the occasional crash, ....it's electronics. I've had my oldest ROKU crash watching amazon. One non-scheduled automatic reboot, and we're usually okay. My oldest is, I think the original model with all the available hookups. But, to crash a "2050x" (not the newest, not the oldest) on Amazon is not cool. Worse than that, the Amazon app in my 32" smart Vizio is hit and miss!

What in the H-ll is Amazon doing lately? NO problem with netflix, or any other apps on any of these devices!
Software on the latest crashed box (now back up and running after it's unscheduled self-restart) is version 3.1, build 1182.

Anyone else having Amazon issues? It's no fun when you're trying to watch things you've BOUGHT from them!

I think its your wifi or internet connection..The roku tends to reboot when it loses the connection (atleast the earlier models do)

let me edit my comments

Amazon checks the speed of the connection..it will throttle back a HD movie to the SD version if it thinks there is not enough bandwidth..that can cause a roku to reboot and might be the cause of the issues with the vizio ap

Sorry, not the connection. Commercial cable, 30 meg download, all devices functioning. (except Amazon.)
And, one is a wired connection.

I haven't had a single issue with Amazon streaming in the month and 1/2 since I started my streaming account to my LG smart tv using it's built-in Amazon app. Tv is hard-wired to my router and it always streams 1080 full HD. No hiccups at all. I have Charter 30/3 service.

I'm sorry to continually disagree guys, but...when EVERYTHING else, including all feeds on the same boxes from other providers are working, the (3) units are in two separate "branches" of the system, and the speed is high from our commercial connection, the signs don't point that way. Amazon is the ONLY service that crashes or doesn't run. It's easy today to 'blame the network". In fact, its become fashionable.

I download the Amazon videos I buy to my TiVos... For Amazon Video on Demand streaming I use my iPad (or iPhone) and Apple TV to stream.

I'm sorry to continually disagree guys, but...when EVERYTHING else, including all feeds on the same boxes from other providers are working, the (3) units are in two separate "branches" of the system, and the speed is high from our commercial connection, the signs don't point that way. Amazon is the ONLY service that crashes or doesn't run. It's easy today to 'blame the network". In fact, its become fashionable.

Ok, what we are pointing out is that none of us are having the problems YOU are having with Amazon.

Perhaps it's something with Amazon and the way your setup is put together. Who knows. Easy fix, just stop streaming from them. I don't think they are really worth it, unless you need the free two day shipping on a lot of purchases.

Is there any chance that the 3 devices could be "fighting" each other somehow?

On dsl here & relatively slow(8/.780) compared to most. Amazon has worked flawless for some time here. I do have my internet throttled in my router 7500/740, that has seemed to cure any streaming problems I was having prior. I believe it's a qos setting in the router.

When I bought the roku 3 a few months back I was shocked at how much better it worked than my other 2 older models as far as quality streaming without errors. Since I throttled my internet my older 2 devices work good also with no errors. Coincidence or luck? I have no idea, it ain't broke so I'm not messing with it anymore.

I have actually had issues watching Amazon stuff on my Roku.

I had so many issues that I stopped getting videos from Amazon.

The Amazon platform is not in any way friendly it easy to use as other services.

I have had similar problems with my roku 2xs with netflix. I don't think its an amazon problem. If you read the link you provided it is pretty clear it is not an amazon problem. It is a roku firmware problem. Here is a quote from just one person on the roku forum: "I had the exact same problems across every channel that i tried after downloading the 5.2 FW. So i reverted back to the 5.1 FW and my R2-XS worked perfectly again."

Been watching AMAZON on Roku 2 for nearly a year. No such problems. Netflix, yes.

You could try rebooting your routers, switches, whatever, if you haven't already. Once in a great while I have a problem with mine [wired connection] and that takes care of it.

We have a ton of stuff connected here and I think my old HP Procurve switch is the culprit. Once in a while too my Belkin F5D8236 router will decide to enable UPNP by itself for no particular reason and that messes up the Amazon streaming and I have to restart the router.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts